RBSC

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

While di Termites Crawl on Caricom, di Chigga dem ah Fly..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• While di Termites Crawl on Caricom, di Chigga dem ah Fly..

.... Gwaan Learna!!!!

JLP serious about suspending relations with Caricom — Holness

BY BALFORD HENRY Senior staff reporter balfordh@jamaicaobserver.com
    Thursday, July 11, 2013

OPPOSITION Leader Andrew Holness says that the Jamaica Labour Party (JLP) believes that Jamaica should consider suspending its relationship with the Caribbean Community (Caricom) until it sorts out current issues with the regional body.

"There could be a suspension until we get our house in order, so that we can participate on equal footing with everyone," Holness told the Jamaica Observer at this week's Monday Exchange.

HOLNESS... we believe that a weak Jamaica does not make a strong Caricom (PHOTO: NAPHTALI JUNIOR)

The Opposition leader, who was echoing the point made by his party's spokesman on foreign affairs and foreign trade, Dr Christopher Tufton at a Kingston Lion's Club meeting last week, said that it was an indication of the party's consistency on the position.

"We do not believe that Jamaica's interests are necessarily being fully served by Caricom, and that's not a statement from which we hide: We have made that statement before," Holness said defiantly, as he spoke to the editors and reporters on his party's 70th anniversary at the Observer's Beechwood Avenue office in Kingston.

"We believe that a weak Jamaica does not make a strong Caricom; so, for Caricom to be strong, Jamaica has to be strong, and if it is that Jamaica is not being served by the relationship, then we need to examine it," Holness said.

Senior spokesmen for the JLP have been promoting the idea of Jamaica temporarily pulling out of Caricom to rethink its relationship with the regional body, for several months now. The call was first made by the party's spokesman on industry, commerce and energy, Gregory Mair; then its spokesman on transport and works, Karl Samuda; and more recently by Dr Tufton, who said that Jamaica's best bet in dealing with Caricom trading issues would be a temporary withdrawal.

"This period would also be sufficient for a comprehensive examination to be done, to determine if Jamaica should leave Caricom in its current form and, instead, seek functional collaboration on matters of strategic, regional and international importance," Dr Tufton said.

But, Holness went further on Monday, identifying the Common External Tariff (CET) as one of the land mines on the path to a more co-operative attitude towards the regional body.

He said that the rush in the 1990s to create the tariff has not necessarily benefited Jamaica.

"We have not been opposed to the creation of a common market, but we want to see a situation in which Jamaica benefits, and I have said that we are a Jamaica first party: Jamaica's interests first, and that needs to be looked at," the Opposition leader argued.

Holness also suggested that a widened area of trade co-operation, including closer ties with Latin American countries like Colombia and Venezuela, was envisaged by his party.

He noted that Jamaica already has strong economic links with Venezuela, primarily through the PetroCaribe oil agreement, while pointing out that Jamaica could benefit immensely from improving its trade with Colombia, as well as Panama.

"We share an economic zone which can be mutually exploited, and Colombia is transforming itself in an amazing way. I think we need to strengthen these relationships," he said, noting that Jamaica also has significant heritage ties with its Latin neighbours, including Colombia, Panama and Cuba.
    He said that the US embargo against Cuba cannot remain in perpetuity, and once the Cuba economy is released from those shackles there will significant investment shifts in the region.
    "We don't want to appear anti-Caricom, but for Jamaica to advance, we have to look elsewhere. We have to be prepared not to become a consequence of this investment shift, but to be a beneficiary," Holness said.
    TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

The "elsewhere" to look Mr Learna Holness is the Diaspora Market in US/UK/Canada via Free Trade Agreements wid Babylon Governments

Babylon gets preferential access to our ~US$7 Billion/year import markets...we get preferential access to our 3 million Jamaicans abroad with a total income of over US$100 Billion/year..... where the JA brand affinity creates a built-in competitive advantage for our products

Getting a mere additional 2% of that Seedless Grape Market would mean over US$2 Billion/year in exports for Jamaica

Why no one of influence has figured this out is quite puzzling... just put the puzzle pieces together please

Ben mi beg yuh tek dis proposal tuh yuh nex Belmont Road GreenFest ...tanks in advance

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

Comment

Jamaica: The Chief Whiner of the Caribbean!

Jamaica is certainly a unique Caribbean country and I’ll give three reasons (I could easily give ten):

1. Of the 15 members of this regional bloc, Jamaica is the only one trying to cover up its failures by bleating and threatening to leave CARICOM. Addressing our productive failures within the context of the 1973 regional arrangement is the solution, not running away like a damn cry baby or a spoilt child! There is no question that we overrate ourselves as “the market” for CARICOM, as if we are indispensable!

2. We got away with this attitude in the early 1960s and in so doing, destroyed the 1958 W.I. Federation. While I shed no tears for the W.I. Federation, the 21st century is a vastly different era. I suspect that our departure this time around would probably be filled in short order by an even more important country, the Dominican Republic. Others, such as Aruba, etc. are already showing distinct interest in the regional movement.

3. All 15 CARICOM countries, like countries everywhere else, speak a local dialect. However, Jamaica is the only one proposing to introduce our dialect (patois) into schools to facilitate the learning of Standard English! Is it that we are the least capable of understanding English? (My goodness, we have been owned by England since that 1655 fiasco by Admiral Penn and General Venables.)

I realize that point number 3 above is off topic, but I just threw it in as food for thought. When all is said and done, it would be difficult for many countries to fail economically, socially and politically as much as human resource-rich Jamaica has, even if they tried!!

The country that gave the world Marcus Garvey and Bob Marley and Usain Bolt is, when all is said and done, nothing but an over-sized cry baby!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Historian View Post
        The country that gave the world Marcus Garvey and Bob Marley and Usain Bolt is, when all is said and done, nothing but an over-sized cry baby!!!![/SIZE][/FONT]

It is quite hilarious that you of all people are calling the country a cry baby.

Comment

Originally posted by Me View Post
          It is quite hilarious that you of all people are calling the country a cry baby.
          LOL ...woooiiiieeee
          Last edited by Don1; July 23, 2013, 01:29 PM.

Comment

Wonderful Input

Originally posted by Me View Post
            Well, if this one sentence, 16-word statement is the extent of your contribution to what could have been a useful intellectual exercise/debate, well so be it. Respect still for your effort.

Comment

Never been to Belmont road GreenFest.. try ah next forumite..

In any case too busy working on evolving Remittance to a higher value add paradigm.. (and oddah tings) ..Belmont Rd cyaan help wi deh suh..

Comment

Originally posted by Muadib View Post
                Never been to Belmont road GreenFest.. try ah next forumite..

In any case too busy working on evolving Remittance to a higher value add paradigm.. (and oddah tings) ..Belmont Rd cyaan help wi deh suh..

Gwaan Ben!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

To The Top We Go!

This thread isn’t going to die without some relevant detailed discussion!

Comment

Why thank you Histy.. My Saviour

Comment

Historian,

The writer agrees with you, except he does not explain fully why he thinks it's a bad move for Jamaica.

He does ask this pertinent question if the underlying assumption that it wasn't done, is true:

"A related question is whether the aggrieved sectors in Jamaica exercised any initiative to find a solution within the framework of the dispute-settlement mechanism located in the Revised Caricom Treaty?"
                      http://www.trinidadexpress.com/news/...216307991.html
                      Peter R

Comment

Brethren while I am not sure if a temp withdrawal is the best move nothing must be off the table. Jamaica have a grouse with how Trinidad behaving and it is not been address. Not because Jamaica is weak we must be victim of unfair trade.

If the rules are that Caricom should have oil concessions then we should. Trinidad do not pay tax on goods imported for production and this have to be address by Caricom and Jamaica. Trinidad is accused of repackaging which a violation of the treaty and they are accused of wanting to keep out Jamaican goods.

These have to be addressed in some forum. It doesn't matter who is coming in as we are net importer from all these people. We need to get our act together and if it means a temporary breathing space or sending a message that we are serious about a signed agreement then so be it.

Saying that we need to take business and production serious or nothing will help us in the long term.
                        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Sass, if we are a net importer, then, in theory, shouldn't goods manufactured and processed locally have room for competition with the imported goods? If we cannot compete then we need to address why. If the why includes unfair trade practices and subsidies by other jurisdictions CONTRARY to CARICOM trade agreements ( I am speaking hypothetically as I don't know those details) then they need to be addressed.

Trinidad could keep out all the Jamaican goods they want to... if that is the case why aren't these said goods being bought or sold at home in Jamaica? Are they more expensive (domestically) than the imported items?

We know about the cost of electricity and fuel in T&T and I don't know if CARICOM addresses this but this may be an issue to be discussed... and this would not be a uniquely Jamaican "problem" in CARICOM.

We should be careful that pulling out, even temporarily, doesn't create its own backlash.

It would appear that we have neither competitive nor comparative advantages over T&T and that needs to change if we want to reduce the trade deficit and the reliance on so many imported goods (even if it's from CARICOM as I'm sure the suppliers want US $ and not JA $ as dem nah buy nutten from JA).

How we increase our competitiveness (aside from unfair trade practices, if any) is the challenge.
                          Peter R

Comment

Peter for sure we know about the oil subsidies.
                            Also Trinidad do not charge taxes on anything imported for production.
                            Our government put the highest taxes on everything that goes into production.

Those two alone drive up the cost of goods. While Jamaica can't charge any custom duties on goods coming from Trinidad.

It is also accused that some of the goods Trinidad sell are repackaged rather than manufactured. The Jamaican government has asked for response from Trinidad on this and there is no response.

These are issues Caricom has to deal with, whether we are net importers or producers. Currently there is no real body to deal with the issue of fair trade in CARICOM. Who deals with these issues?

Two years ago Trinidad was blocking patty meat and is not until after an uproar was there any movement.

Yes we have to get more competitive. But it doesn't happen overnight and the government is going to have to give breathing space to small businesses and start ups in order to be competitive. This may include tax break, targeting certain imports, as the US did recently against Chinese steel, and like Trinidad make regulation to keep out some of the goods they can.

Also it is a part of the Caricom treaty or by laws for a country to pull out temporary if they have a huge trade deficit, charge taxes from other caricom countries and rebuild their primary industries and return to caricom.

Caricom is weaker with a weak Jamaica. Caricom is only viable if we have long term growth and development in these countries. A wealthier Jamaica will be able to purchase more goods from Caricom while selling more. That is the ultimate goal.
                            Last edited by Assasin; July 24, 2013, 10:14 AM.
                            • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Thanks for filling some of the blanks for me.

So you agree with a temporary pull out?

This writer ( I posted this in a response in another thread to Historian) has "poo pooed" Holness' call. He indicates near the bottom that there is a dispute mechanism in the "revised CARICOM treaty".

He also asks (rhetorically I assume as he does not delve into any possible explanation) this question which he gives no clear response to, and that question is at the root of the call for suspension:

"So why this political flirtation with the idea of a temporary suspension of Jamaica’s membership from the regional economic integration movement?"
                              http://www.trinidadexpress.com/news/...216307991.html
                              Peter R

Comment

Working...
                              X