X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This Just In: The Fix

Cop tells court there was uncertainty if Bicknell offered a bribe
    Monday, July 22, 2013 | 9:11 PM

KINGSTON, Jamaica -- Police sergeant, Dellon Lewis Monday testified that he would not have charged businessman, Bruce Bicknell, with bribery if he had been aware of his colleague's uncertainty as to whether or not Bicknell had bribed him.

The witness earlier testified that he had arrested and charged Bicknell for bribery, following reports from Sergeant Jubert Llewellyn that Bicknell had offered him two $1000 notes when he was stopped for a traffic violation along Sir Florizel Glasspole Boulevard in East Kingston on April 9.

However, Lewis under-cross examination from Queen Counsel KD Knight, who is representing Bicknell, said that it was after he had charged Bicknell that he later learned of Llewellyn's uncertainty in a meeting with Senior Superintendent James Forbes on April 13. LOL

According to Lewis, Llewellyn told the meeting that the two $1000 notes could have been inadvertently placed in the envelope, which contained Bicknell's motor vehicle documents, LOL
    “If he had said that prior to Bicknell being charged, he would not have been charged,” the witness said.

Lewis then testified that he was of the view that the meeting in question was held to correct the mistake that was made and that during that meeting it was agreed that the matter would not proceed any further. LOL

However, when he was pressed by Knight he said that after the meeting he felt satisfied that nothing unlawful was done and that no one had threatened or offered him any reward during the meeting. LOL

Further to that, Lewis also testified while he was being cross-examined by Queen Counsel Jacqueline Samuels-Brown who is representing Forbes, that based on what Llewellyn had said he concluded that he had no evidence to proceed any further with the bribery charge. LOL

He however made it clear that Forbes was not the one who had orchestrated the decision to abandon the bribery charge.
    LOL

Lewis said that Forbes had not given him any instruction and that during the meeting he had merely summed up what the attendees had said. LOL

Bicknell and Forbes are on trial for attempting to pervert the court.
    Queen Counsel Samuels- Brown is expected to continue her cross-examination of Lewis Tuesday.

Brilliant!!!
    Last edited by Don1; July 23, 2013, 10:49 AM.
    TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

This case was a waste of time from start

Comment

I agree... when Big Man involved it usually is

However it's not the original minor infraction that's important...it's the corrupt cover up

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

Comment

Like I said I hope the crime syndicate has learnt this most important lesson. This is how you deal with things calm and civilized. Let me be the first to congratulate the officer on his upcoming promotion. Well done all.

Comment

i was pulled over for "speeding" in St Elizabeth four years ago. It was July and school was out. The police were parked near a school, forget which one, and had their radar gun trained on unsuspecting people like I was. Long and short of it, they said I was doing 70km/h in a 50km/h zone. There were no indicators as to what that the speed limit was.

Anyway, the cop told me that near a school the speed limit is always 50, or whatever it was, implying that I should know that.

They took their time with me...all the time I was wondering whether or not they wanted something. I decided not to be tempted to do anything else illegal. Well, they decided to give me a bligh. I thanked them and went on my merry way, without even offering them a soft drink!

Another story was told to me, I don't know how true... whether my friend made this up or not... he was pulled over for speeding. The cop came over and placed his hat upturned on the bonnet and proceeded to stare at my friend, who had been living away for many years... He said the cop then said to the effect, " I can gi yu a bligh if yu lef it, otherwise I wi haffi write it"... ahhh bwoyyyy
          Peter R

Comment

Originally posted by Rudi View Post
            Like I said I hope the crime syndicate has learnt this most important lesson. This is how you deal with things calm and civilized. Let me be the first to congratulate the officer on his upcoming promotion. Well done all.
            yuhzimi... Fish rots from the head

Comment

regula ting

Comment

As I said from start, all the cop had to do is ask "Sir is this mean't to be a bribe"? Police need to stop make criminal outa people for small things. The most should have been issue is a ticket.
                • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

I believe your friend. A suh it go...........
                  Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
                  - Langston Hughes

Comment

What is brilliant about this ??

This is basic knowledge.

Money in motor vehicle documents in and of itself are not grounds for charging someone with bribery.

I think this is even taught while studying for the Jamaican Driving Test..

If this is the situation then the arresting officer must have taken leave of his senses... him muss learn dis in BASIC training..

Maybe he was new on the job.. I hear he was transferred to road side work..

Comment

Do you believe corruption is a large problem in Jamaica??

A yes or no will suffice..No red herrings pls

Comment

Signapore model !...lol
                        THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

A large amount of the pollution that enters the Harbour comes from the Gully system..

Do you believe the Gully system is the cause of pollution of the Harbour ?

A yes or no will suffice..

Comment

Police can't a play trick with people. We all know we have corrupted police who stick up businessmen and others as well.

A well thinking policeman would make sure in no certain term it is a bribe before trying to lock up the man. Corruption is a problem and also is police who can't communicate and sending mixed message to the public.
                            • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Govt Ministers in Singapore get paid US$1M per year..

Comment

Working...
                              X