Knight ready to demonstrate against ban

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Knight ready to demonstrate against ban

Smokescreen - Atkinson: Smokers want to continue unhealthy habit - Knight ready to demonstrate against ban

Published: Monday | July 22, 2013 8 Comments

Knight

Atkinson

Nedburn Thaffe and Rasbert Turner, Gleaner Writers Attorney General Patrick Atkinson has described as a smokescreen criticisms of the recently imposed ban on smoking in public spaces, saying some of the unfavourable comments are coming from those seeking to continue their unhealthy habit.

"The real concern is not about debating in Parliament. The concerns are for those who smoke, who want to have the right to continue to smoke where they please and it is not appropriate," Atkinson said.

The attorney general was responding yesterday to statements from his government colleague, Senator K.D. Knight, who, on Saturday, said he was prepared to mount protests against the new law if it is not brought to the Parliament.

The smoking ban was brought into effect by order of Health Minister Dr Fenton Ferguson, but Knight said the regulations should be brought before the Parliament and debated.

"It can't work," said Knight, who is a member of the governing People's National Party (PNP).

"I am not anti-party, but I am pro-people and I am prepared to demonstrate with the people for the changes, " Knight said.

As a form of protest, Knight suggested that 100 persons, including managers and doctors, would convene at an office, and light their cigarettes as the health minister enters.

Yesterday, Atkinson, in lending his support to the ban, said calling for the matter to be debated in Parliament is a non-issue.

"I don't think there is anything to debate. The matter has been debated to the fullest. It has been debated in the Cabinet," Atkinson said.

Knight, who was addressing the PNP's 75th anniversary dinner in Old Harbour, St Catherine, took issue with the penalties to be meted out against those in breach of the regulations.

"It is rubbish to send a man to prison for smoking a cigarette in his yard because you deem it a workplace," Knight said.

Persons found guilty of violating the law are liable for a fine of $50,000 and/or three months' imprisonment for the first offence. In the case of a second conviction, persons face up to $500,000 in fines and/or jail time of six months, or up to 12 months' imprisonment for subsequent offences.

Knight said that it is wrong to imprison persons guilty of a third offence, as this did not apply to smokers of marijuana, which is an illegal substance.

According to the government senator, if the regulations which deal with smoking in public spaces are not reviewed, the country may need to construct additional prisons.

Atkinson, meanwhile, acknowledged that the penalties might be harsh, but said they were not mandatory and are left up to the judge's discretion.

"They are maximum sentences upon which the judge will have discretion on exactly how far they will go towards it," Atkinson said.

He added: "It's not a situation where the emphasis should be placed on the very few. It is not something that is good for children and ordinary persons who don't smoke, and there is a duty on the Government and the society to protect those people.

"This is an unhealthy exercise. It is not a recreational thing that everybody does. Ssecond-hand smoke does kill and we had to do something about it and that is where the focus should be."

Chairman of the Jamaica Coalition for Tobacco Control, Dr Knox Hagley, said that while he could understand that the criticisms from the hospitality industry are fuelled by their interest to make a profit, he continues to question the interest of some politicians.

"If a river is known to cause illness and a ban was to be applied, you don't need Parliament to tell you (that this is right). There may be people with different agendas. I have no doubt."

Additionally, Hagley said there is no data to suggest that the ban will have any impact on the hospitality industry.

"The surgeon general of the United States, several years ago, went on record to say that this has not had any impact on the hospitality industry. This is not something new. This has been going on for many years," he said.

Atkinson said he suspects that the minister will, "at some stage", be taking the regulations to Parliament for a debate.
    Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
    - Langston Hughes

Gwan cowboy
    Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
    - Langston Hughes

Comment

This is a classic example of good intention but bad legislation. The fact that businesses who make their income from this was not even considered. The fact that the penalties are so harsh.
      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

KD Is still a chain smoker? If so a defend him a defend his nicotine habit

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Originally posted by MdmeX View Post
          Smokescreen - Atkinson: Smokers want to continue unhealthy habit - Knight ready to demonstrate against ban

Published: Monday | July 22, 2013 8 Comments

Knight

Atkinson

Nedburn Thaffe and Rasbert Turner, Gleaner Writers Attorney General Patrick Atkinson has described as a smokescreen criticisms of the recently imposed ban on smoking in public spaces, saying some of the unfavourable comments are coming from those seeking to continue their unhealthy habit.

"The real concern is not about debating in Parliament. The concerns are for those who smoke, who want to have the right to continue to smoke where they please and it is not appropriate," Atkinson said.

The attorney general was responding yesterday to statements from his government colleague, Senator K.D. Knight, who, on Saturday, said he was prepared to mount protests against the new law if it is not brought to the Parliament.

The smoking ban was brought into effect by order of Health Minister Dr Fenton Ferguson, but Knight said the regulations should be brought before the Parliament and debated.

"It can't work," said Knight, who is a member of the governing People's National Party (PNP).

"I am not anti-party, but I am pro-people and I am prepared to demonstrate with the people for the changes, " Knight said.

As a form of protest, Knight suggested that 100 persons, including managers and doctors, would convene at an office, and light their cigarettes as the health minister enters.

Yesterday, Atkinson, in lending his support to the ban, said calling for the matter to be debated in Parliament is a non-issue.

"I don't think there is anything to debate. The matter has been debated to the fullest. It has been debated in the Cabinet," Atkinson said.

Knight, who was addressing the PNP's 75th anniversary dinner in Old Harbour, St Catherine, took issue with the penalties to be meted out against those in breach of the regulations.

"It is rubbish to send a man to prison for smoking a cigarette in his yard because you deem it a workplace," Knight said.

Persons found guilty of violating the law are liable for a fine of $50,000 and/or three months' imprisonment for the first offence. In the case of a second conviction, persons face up to $500,000 in fines and/or jail time of six months, or up to 12 months' imprisonment for subsequent offences.

Knight said that it is wrong to imprison persons guilty of a third offence, as this did not apply to smokers of marijuana, which is an illegal substance.

According to the government senator, if the regulations which deal with smoking in public spaces are not reviewed, the country may need to construct additional prisons.

Atkinson, meanwhile, acknowledged that the penalties might be harsh, but said they were not mandatory and are left up to the judge's discretion.

"They are maximum sentences upon which the judge will have discretion on exactly how far they will go towards it," Atkinson said.

He added: "It's not a situation where the emphasis should be placed on the very few. It is not something that is good for children and ordinary persons who don't smoke, and there is a duty on the Government and the society to protect those people.

"This is an unhealthy exercise. It is not a recreational thing that everybody does. Ssecond-hand smoke does kill and we had to do something about it and that is where the focus should be."

Chairman of the Jamaica Coalition for Tobacco Control, Dr Knox Hagley, said that while he could understand that the criticisms from the hospitality industry are fuelled by their interest to make a profit, he continues to question the interest of some politicians.

"If a river is known to cause illness and a ban was to be applied, you don't need Parliament to tell you (that this is right). There may be people with different agendas. I have no doubt."

Additionally, Hagley said there is no data to suggest that the ban will have any impact on the hospitality industry.

"The surgeon general of the United States, several years ago, went on record to say that this has not had any impact on the hospitality industry. This is not something new. This has been going on for many years," he said.

Atkinson said he suspects that the minister will, "at some stage", be taking the regulations to Parliament for a debate.
          He also noted that while the smoking of ganja was illegal, there was no mandatory sentences for persons caught smoking it publicly, yet mandatory sentences were being imposed for smoking cigarettes, which is a legal substance.

The health Minister and Parliament are on board. A long time true Rasta a warn oono about cigarette smoke...

Read more: http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/news/...#ixzz2ZpDUFoP2
          The same type of thinking that created a problem cannot be used to solve the problem.

Comment

Them say if you have a household helper then your house is a workplace and you can go jail for smoking a cigarette there.

What in the world goes through the minds of our lawmakers when they make these decisions.
            "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Doesn't the helper have the right to a safe workplace? Jamaica lucky, is not like seh yu have to go out in the cold to take a puff... I live in T&T. My house is fairly open, that is , plenty breeze pass through... but even so I convinced my wife she should smoke outside (she's a smoker, I'm not- tried everything to get her to quit.. but I digress), which she always does, and my allergies have diminished 80%!! that's over the last three years.

People like KD take second hand smoke fi joke. He should listen to Dr. Hagley, one of the best physicians in Jamaica (from Grenada originally if I'm not mistaken).
              Peter R

Comment

Sure she does, but it is a ridiculous penalty for the act.

Also, most places that enforce no smoking laws do it in phases....start with designated smoking areas, certain business places, etc. To go from smoking anywhere, anytime to possible prison time for smoking in your home is just silly.
                "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Well, so you don't have a problem with the law, just the penalty, correct? I'm cool with that. In reality, no judge would likely impose the maximum. I don't see the need tpo phase this in. What should be "phased" is the enforcement of the law, give warnings as appropriate for a certain stated period of time, but as far as I'm concerned lock dem up yes..
                  Peter R

Comment

No, the law is overdue in fact.

I wonder if them going to ban cigarette in prison too? LOL!

Comment

Working...
                    X