Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Retro dancehall performance

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCUgLGk8Fas
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

A Master Deejay Meets a Talented Singer!

‘Sass, A few seconds into that video and I realize that the uploader had made a major error. The lady singing with Shabba is Diana King, not that other lady (Crystal) whose name is erroneously given in the credit.

As is often the case when one criticizes things, there is much room for misunderstanding. I have NEVER in my numerous posts here said anything negative about people like Shabba Ranks or Yellowman. Not even once!

You see, those guys performed in the formative years of dancehall when its linkages with reggae were obvious. The “Twice My Age” by Shabba Ranks and Diana King that you posted is a perfect example of the umbilical cord that connects dancehall with mainstream reggae. Compare the rhythm here, including the drums, with that TNT live all-star tribute to Bob Marley, recorded and broadcast on the popular US cable station in the late 1990s (around 1998 or 1999).

To end what I’m saying here, dancehall has changed in immeasurable ways, and there is not much similarity today with the reggae influenced performance you posted!

Comment

That is Diane King performing with him
      Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

One of the thing Shabba did was get good producer and writers around him. People like Mikey Bennett. If you listen the orginal song and I think it is a well produced song.

Some of the current artist want not thinking about good music instead it is about "bussing" and the hype.
        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Working...
        X