RBSC

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Talent Abounds!!! Award-winning educator didn't pass...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Talent Abounds!!! Award-winning educator didn't pass...

Award-winning educator didn't pass Common Entrance

Published: Saturday | July 6, 2013

World-renowned science educator, Dr Errol Miller of Kendal, Manchester, displays two of his many awards for contribution to science education. - Photo by Paul H.

Paul H. Williams, Gleaner WriterKENDAL, Manchester:
    ERROL MILLER'S three siblings all passed their Common Entrance Exam, and so Master Miller, as he was called in his community, was expected to do the same. Of course, he was a bright, church-going, erudite youngster, and a boy scout. But, as fate would have it, the boy who got one-on-one tutoring from his principal not only 'failed' once, but thrice

The top student, who attended primary school before he reached the appropriate age, said his family, and by extension his community, was very upset with him. "I was very disappointed and everybody was disappointed, the entire community, not just family," he recalled. And amid the disappointment the condemnation came in abundance. "Yuh wukliss, you are a good for nothing, and yuh let down the family and you are going to come to nothing," is what he said they were all saying.

Disappointed, yes, but he said he wasn't upset with himself. "My Christian principles told me God has a plan for everyone," he said. Even at that age he understood that very well, because he said he used to listen to the "wise men" in his community and church. "When I heard those people talk I was inspired," he told Rural Express on Wednesday.

That inspiration kept him undaunted, but he still reflected on what could have been the reason for his 'failure'. "It could have been that my English language was weak. My grammar was weak perhaps. Grammar was not an easy task for little children in those days," he said. Yet, he said he was excellent at composition writing and mathematics. So, until today, he's not sure what the problem was.

Yet, he knew what he wanted. "I wanted to show my community that I was not a dunce or a no-good," he said. And when he saw a particular advertisement in The Gleaner, he went for it.

There was an entrance test for the newly established St Elizabeth Technical High School (STETHS), and he applied. The night before the test he travelled from Clarendon to Santa Cruz, and slept at the police station. He was the first applicant to arrive for the test, and at the end of the day, he got the top score, and a place at STETHS.

Claiming the test was too easy, he said he prayed for something more challenging, and got the inspiration to write a letter to the principal of Clarendon College, then the top high school in Clarendon. The principal got the letter and was impressed with a particular line that said, "I am prepared to meet all the possibilities in order to accomplish a high standard of education at your institution."

Miller was invited to be interviewed by the vice-principal. He passed the interview, but was told there was no place for him, except in fourth form. He accepted, and started Clarendon College the January, spending only one term at STETHS. He got the class notes from the September term at Clarendon College from his classmates.

Miller had applied to the Jamaica School of Agriculture (JSA) even before his external exam results were known. After a three-year diploma at JSA, it was on to Sussex University in England from which he got a BSc in agriculture.

Since then, Miller has obtained a multiplicity of certificates, diplomas and degrees from local and international institutions. His degrees include three bachelor's, two master's, and four doctorates. His major areas of study include agriculture, Bible philosophy, liberal arts, education, science education and mineralogy.

From all of this training and qualification, the teaching profession which he joined at Clarendon College in 1974 has benefited tremendously. He has taught also at Mile Gully Junior Secondary, Holmwood Technical, Cornwall College, Kemps Hill Secondary, Hampton School, Prattville Secondary, deCarteret College, Bishop Gibson High, Manchester High, Church Teachers' College, West Indies College and Jamaica Bible College.

Hard work and commitment
    Miller has been lecturing at Knox Community College (KCC) since 1990, and is now the director for the Mandeville campus. He said his biggest professional accomplishment was the setting up of certificate, diploma and degree programmes in environmental sciences at KCC.

For his hard work and commitment to science education, Miller has received many honours, accolades, recognition and awards from reputable local and international bodies. He's a 2010 recipient of the Jamaica Teachers' Association's Golden Torch Award and was voted one of the 2000 most outstanding intellectuals of the 20th century by King's College, Cambridge University.

When asked why so many academic pursuits, Miller said the Bible says, "Study to show yourself approved." This, he said, means that knowledge is power. As an educator he said he has to be knowledgeable and holistic. And, "Money is not what motivates me, it's service above self," he added.

And in reflecting on the way he was treated when he was not successful in his Common Entrance exams and on his subsequent accomplishments, Dr Errol Miller said, "I always like to accept a challenge, and I always like to prove people wrong. I never believed I was a good-for-nothing and I knew what I wanted."

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/2...ead/lead7.html
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Re: Talent Abounds!!!

I hope the article is based on real accomplishments...that
    His degrees include three bachelor's, two master's, and four doctorates.
    seems tremendous over-compensation to having failed at Common Entrance.

...three bachelors, two masters and four doctorates??? ...plus a multiplicity of certificates and diplomas? ...over the top retaliation to hurt at not winning a Common Entrance place??? Bwoy???

...even if false...TALENT ABOUNDS right across the island!!!
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Exceptional
      TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

Working...
      X