Al Jarreau At His Best!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Al Jarreau At His Best!

This is highly acclaimed jazz singer Al Jarreau giving a masterful rendition of my favorite Elton John hit, “Your Song.” This performance was recorded live in Hamburg, Germany in 1976:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCsNGdCDaXo

Jarreau’s trio of backup musicians are:

Tom Canning: keyboard
    Jerome Rimson: bass guitar
    Nigel Wilkinson: drums

Enjoy! (As usual, I strongly recommend using high powered speakers or stereo headphones for best/full quality).

Pls define 'high powered speakers'. Thanks.?

Comment

My Sincere Apology!

Originally posted by Exile View Post
      Pls define 'high powered speakers'. Thanks.?
      Sorry about the confusion, Exile. The use of the word “high powered speakers” is just one of the sound/technical proclivities I’ve (unfortunately) used over the years.

I think I first started using this phrase “high powered speakers” when I was a young man, as a means of differentiating between “cheap” speakers and the more ideal types, such as JBL and Bose. There were people I knew who were listening to high quality recordings by artists like George Benson, Frank Zappa, Hank Crawford, Rev. James Cleveland, Andrae Crouch and the Disciples, David Keane and the Sunshine Singers, etc., etc. on stereo-grams and record changers!! Back then I wouldn’t even think of playing a good record without using an equalizer along with a high-powered amplifier (or, better still, an amplifier and pre-amp), along with speakers of like quality.

In other words, it’s just a terminology I made up over the years to define speaker systems that deliver the best fidelity; speakers that produce a great dynamic range encompassing all the highs, mid-range and lows.

Now, I hope my use of that term doesn’t detract anyone from enjoying this treasure I posted, Al Jarreau interpreting Elton John’s “Your Song.” But it is essential that in this age of laptops, etc., we do not miss out on sound quality as far as the music was intended to be heard!

Comment

Please define "proclivities" ... sounds like a part of the female anatomy actually dont worry I have my dictionary with me today

and yeah, I used to love Al Jarreau! thanks for bringing him back to mind and ear...
        Peter R

Comment

"Proclivities" vs. Al Jarreau in Hamburg

Originally posted by Peter R View Post
          Please define "proclivities" ... sounds like a part of the female anatomy actually dont worry I have my dictionary with me today

and yeah, I used to love Al Jarreau! thanks for bringing him back to mind and ear...
          I type as I think, often without re-checking, and so I am not sure if it should have been “proclivity” instead of “proclivities.” I do not even really care, once I get my message across.

Peter, boss, I hope you take the time to check out the video. It really is a great performance by Al Jarreau, which is why I posted the YouTube link.

And my comments above about audio should be taken seriously, because engineers and producers spend countless hours (trust me, I have been there over and over) in getting the “right sound.” Today, in the era of laptops and iPads and what have you, all those efforts sometimes seem to be going down the drain as far too many people listen to wonderful music on speakers that emphasize ONLY high and some mid-range frequencies!

This statement is very personal, and so I will not expand any further.

Comment

Historian, I am listening to the playlist that popped up at the end of that video... this is how I remember AJ - his voice is TRULY an instrument
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhq7f...D02YCsNGdCDaXo

Thanks again man... you made my Friday evening!
            Peter R

Comment

I posted some time ago too Peter....

Comment

Thanks...I truly understand - as an ex-audiophile...it's like having a fancy car with cheap tyres....the tyre is the only interface between you and the road....speakers - the only interface between the outputs and your ear (yes, you may 'feel' the bass in your chest). Or Headphones.

Actually last month I returned from the US with two 17lb speakers which I now use as front speakers for my simple system....one in each carry-on with Airport security scanning and swabbing - long story...bottom-line...my bubble-wrapped speakers (Polk) arrived safely and were installed (removing my outdoor (Infinity) which was quickly packed away out of my sight before I could install them as rear speakers....vetoed....such is life...
                Al Jarreau - one of my favourites...saw him live a few times...

(I failed in my attempt to get a new headphone due to budgetary restrictions at the time...lol...bought 2 backup ones...no good..)

Comment

17lb speakers? Is this the new way to rate speakers now?

Just messing with you boss!
                  "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

Very good rendition of a classic. I have not listed to Al in quite a while although I have a number of his CDs.

Thanks
                    "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

£17 maybe? LOL - my price bracket!
                      Peter R

Comment

Pound for pound. LOL. The weight because it was in our carry-on..lol...

Comment

They were US300+ at the time...just trying to get my 'sound' to sound like yours....keeping up with the Peter-Rs.

Comment

Yep

Originally posted by Tilla View Post
                            Very good rendition of a classic. I have not listed to Al in quite a while although I have a number of his CDs.

Thanks
                            You are welcome, boss. Al Jarreau is definitely a very outstanding jazz singer.

Comment

Yes, it is indeed an instrument!

Originally posted by Peter R View Post
                              Historian, I am listening to the playlist that popped up at the end of that video... this is how I remember AJ - his voice is TRULY an instrument
                              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhq7f...D02YCsNGdCDaXo

Thanks again man... you made my Friday evening!
                              You are most welcome, Peter.

Al Jarreau uses his voice in amazing ways as an instrument, as you correctly observed, and we can really see/hear this in his interpretation of Paul Desmond’s classic composition, “Take 5.”

He is most definitely one of the greats of jazz!

In terms of scat singing (or scatting), another jazz singer that I admire is the late Ella Fitzgerald. When I was in my teens I recall one of the Jamaican radio stations playing Ella’s version of the Beatles’ “Hey Jude.” I have never come across her version or heard it again since that day, but I have never forgotten it.

Comment

Working...
                              X