Historian: Introducing(?) Emeli Sande

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Historian: Introducing(?) Emeli Sande

Last night I went to see Emeli Sande in concert at The Tabernacle in Atlanta. One word to describe the experience. Awesome!!!
    Ever heard of her?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nwdjQmc_N8
    The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

I think I heard that tune before without paying attention to who the singer was... very nice!
    Peter R

Comment

An Enjoyable Video!

Originally posted by HL View Post
      Last night I went to see Emeli Sande in concert at The Tabernacle in Atlanta. One word to describe the experience. Awesome!!!
      Ever heard of her?
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nwdjQmc_N8
      HL, I cannot recall hearing of this lady Emeli Sande before, but it is definitely an enjoyable recording with lovely lyrics. The song and arrangements are very simple indeed (the chords used, the oft-repeated drum roll, etc.), but she delivers it very effectively. There is a certain honesty in her performance that I really like, and I can well imagine that her concert was exciting!

Also, the simplicity and honesty of the song are personified in the overall setting for the video recording.

I notice you said you saw her at a church, and I am not surprised. This beautiful song could easily be a gospel number (“You will find Him next to me”), and it probably is.

By the way, I am a lover of women who sing and play the keyboard, like Alicia Keys, Patrice Rushen, Roberta Flack, etc.

Thanks for posting this music video, boss!

Comment

You mentioned in your post about the 'honesty' of the song.

Excellent observation!!

She appeared on stage simply dressed. There were no ward robe changes between sets. Her music and pure talent spoke for itself. It was amazing!

She does all her writing. I was told that she wrote "This Girl is on Fire" for Alicia Keys. That say quite a lot.

She is from Aberdeen Scotland and is slowly making waves here in the USA.

HL

Comment

Cho HL you know good singer!! She is one of the best singer/songwriters out there at the moment and had the biggest selling album in the UK last year. I took the liberty of posting my favourite Emile Sande tune below, a lovely duet with another talented young Brit Labrinth. Enjoy!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqIxCtEveG8

Comment

glad you see there are good young singers, just don't get on the radio rotation here in the states because of "music politics".
            • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Dunny View Post
              Cho HL you know good singer!! She is one of the best singer/songwriters out there at the moment and had the biggest selling album in the UK last year. I took the liberty of posting my favourite Emile Sande tune below, a lovely duet with another talented young Brit Labrinth. Enjoy!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqIxCtEveG8
              She had two back-up singers...a male and female.

She did that song with the male singer (not Brit Labrinth).

It was my first time really listening to this song. It gave me goose-pimples.

Most singers use clothes and sex to help their singing and performance. Emeli Sande is the real-deal. Purely fantastic!!

HL

Comment

Funny thing is that when i played the original video that HL posted, my 6 year old knew the song and was singing along so it must be getting some rotation here. I didn't know it at all.
                "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

It might be in one of her programs that she watch
                  • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Could be She also listens to a lot of KidZ music stations on Pandora and other media like that.

You was the first person that mentioned here that children's music was an area that more artistes should take a look at and i didn't realize how big it was until recently.

Ziggy says it is largely untapped for reggae artistes, he has had some decent success there it seems.

He has this version of "If I Had the Wings of a Dove" that I notice the children around me really like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c991h332ypg
                    "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

yeah. Some of Bob's songs are staple on kids TV. "Three little birds" is played on one channel every morning.

Ziggy also did a kids album.

One of the biggest kids music is a guy called Dan Zanes. He has done some popular Jamaican song and sometimes have a Jamaican DJ working with him. Here he is doing over Little Nut tree.

http://www.npr.org/player/v2/mediaPlayer.html?action=1&t=1&islist=false&id=1408 11476&m=140855339

Comment

Your source is a bit off

Originally posted by HL View Post
                        She does all her writing. I was told that she wrote "This Girl is on Fire" for Alicia Keys. That say quite a lot.
                        Actually, HL, she had nothing to do with either the songwriting or arranging of Alicia Key’s “This Girl Is On Fire.”

That song was written by a couple of individuals, including Keys (it was a very personal reflection of Alicia Keys’ life at that point in time, and was almost biographical, so to speak).

Thanks once again for introducing me to this truly lovely singer!

Comment

Thank you too Historian!

HL

Comment

Working...
                          X