Edward Snowden and asylum in Jamaica?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Edward Snowden and asylum in Jamaica?

Yes, straight a Bellevue! Nuh asylum him say him want?!?

Seriously, has there been much talk about this guy on the Forum? Mi nuh sorry fi him. I think his Obamaphobia (racism, actually) got the better of him so I hope he gets sent back to the USA to face the music.

The movie should be good, but I hear it done mek arready!

http://nymag.com/news/frank-rich/ene...-state-2013-7/

BLACK LIVES MATTER

This is well stated.

In fact the whole concept of privacy is almost foreign to the younger generations. They practice a culture where every conscious thought is a candidate tweet or FB post. All by design? Who knows.

Something that Orwell never figured out in 1984 is that people would embrace the idea of Big Brother if there’s a game attached to it, or if it’s convenient. You buy a monitor at Best Buy that has a little camera inside that allows you to make Skype calls, and you don’t realize what else is behind that camera. As long as you can present that kind of technology with a fun app, it’s no longer the omnipotent HAL with a red glowing eye—it’s a little black dot at the top of your computer that allows you to talk to your friends all over the world. But that comes at a price. You as an individual have to make a choice: Do you want to use this technology and what comes with it, or do you want to move out to a cabin in the woods and start growing vegetables?
    "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

So yuh cool wid JCF tapping yuh phone in the name of national security.

Electronic surveillance: Minority Report minus the precogs

http://anacanhoto.com/2013/06/11/ele...s-the-precogs/
      Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

JCF? NO! NSA? Yes!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Karl...No Problem Mon

It’s life imitating fiction – It’s the film Minority Report, minus the precogs.

And before you say ‘nothing to hide, nothing to fear’ from surveillance, take into consideration that, according to US legislation, anyone who is deemed to have assisted terrorists, directly or indirectly, knowingly or unknowingly, can be pursued by law enforcement.

Add to that the fact that individuals can be blacklisted and assets frozen as preventive measures and without the need of a trial, and that the evidence supporting such interventions is often highly classified (and, therefore, it is impossible to assess its quality)… and you can see how easily you can find yourself drawn into a nightmare, not because you did something wrong, but because your electronic behaviour fell in the gaps of a highly fallible system.

And that is why we need transparency about governmental surveillance programmes.
          Mi agguh tap hol' di door fi persons. Yuh neva know who persons or their connections may be
          Last edited by Don1; July 4, 2013, 10:25 AM.
          TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

Very Good Point!

Originally posted by Islandman View Post
            This is well stated.

In fact the whole concept of privacy is almost foreign to the younger generations. They practice a culture where every conscious thought is a candidate tweet or FB post. All by design? Who knows.
            You have made a lot of sense here, boss!

By the way, when I first read George Orwell’s novel, “1984” as a teen, I never spent much time in thinking about the ramifications of what he was suggesting. In fact, I gave much more thought to his other novel, “Animal Farm,” particularly since I found his overriding theme of the “corrupting influence of power” even more real and intriguing.

Now, I’m thinking differently. For a man who wrote way back during the middle of the twentieth century, he had a lot of foresight into today’s realities.

Comment

That's where we are heading , government control by media - technology.The Chinese and Russians will say this is how we operate , the americans -west will say no and do it anyway.

This is what it is.
              THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Wanna download Jay Z's new crap album?

Comment

Yuh right brick, thats where we are , i wouldnt be surprised if the gov ave acces to my webcam , watching everything that goes on in my room, such is technology , not only them the chinese and russians.

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

The scammers always ahead of the pack.
                    Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

Those are the terms for the official Samsung Jay Z app...why the hell would I give them access to read my phone status and identity?

Comment

In addition....

In addition to “the younger generations,” the mother and father (that is, slightly older) generation have signed in to this technological revolution. In many cases grandparents, in their eagerness to show that they are “hip and with it,” have also learned about apps and this and that, not thinking about possible ramifications as our societies evolve.

(But you might have alluded to these older folks, as I notice you used the plural “the younger generations.”)

Once again, you have made a point that is worth seriously thinking about, I’man.

Comment

France 'has vast data surveillance' - Le Monde report

The DGSE data is said to be accessed by other French intelligence agencies

Continue reading the main story US spy leaks

France's foreign intelligence service intercepts computer and telephone data on a vast scale, like the controversial US Prism programme, according to the French daily Le Monde.

The data is stored on a supercomputer at the headquarters of the DGSE intelligence service, the paper says.

The operation is "outside the law, and beyond any proper supervision", Le Monde says.

Other French intelligence agencies allegedly access the data secretly.

It is not clear however whether the DGSE surveillance goes as far as Prism. So far French officials have not commented on Le Monde's allegations.

The DGSE allegedly analyses the "metadata" - not the contents of e-mails and other communications, but the data revealing who is speaking to whom, when and where.

Connections inside France and between France and other countries are all monitored, Le Monde reports.

The paper alleges the data is being stored on three basement floors of the DGSE building in Paris. The secret service is the French equivalent of Britain's MI6.

The operation is designed, say experts, to uncover terrorist cells. But the scale of it means that "anyone can be spied on, any time", Le Monde says.

There is a continuing international furore over revelations that the US has been systematically seizing vast amounts of phone and web data.

The French government has sharply criticised the US spying, which allegedly included eavesdropping on official EU communications.

The scale of surveillance by America's National Security Agency (NSA) emerged from classified intelligence documents leaked by whistleblower Edward Snowden.

The UK spy agency GCHQ is reported to run a similarly vast data collection operation, co-operating closely with the NSA

Comment

Originally posted by Islandman View Post
                            This is well stated.

Islandman: Your post inclusive of the quote is top drawer.
                            Weh Don1 deh?
                            The world moves!
                            "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Originally posted by Historian View Post
                              In addition to “the younger generations,” the mother and father (that is, slightly older) generation have signed in to this technological revolution. In many cases grandparents, in their eagerness to show that they are “hip and with it,” have also learned about apps and this and that...

My 96 year old Mom has dived right in...but she would tell you a thing or two about where she thinks it is going...and 'shat' a Bible quote or two to explain why it all is a part of prophecy on "our evolving World society".

She would also explain that it is all good when 'correctly used'.

Historian: I am with you all the way on Islandman's wonderful 'pan pint' post.
                              "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Working...
                              X