X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Obama: Yes We Scan

EDITORIAL - Who Spies On Friends?
    Published: Tuesday | July 2, 2013

We are hardly surprised at the outrage of the likes of François Hollande and Angela Merkel over America's reported bugging of European Union offices in New York and Washington and, perhaps, even Brussels.

What is shockingly scandalous is President Barack Obama's blasé response to the revelation.

The essentials of Mr Obama's argument are that it's no big thing. For it is not only the Americans who do it in the quest for "insights beyond what would be available through open sources".

Except that Mr Obama, in this context, misses two fundamental points. First, we see little to gain from the covert behaviour in comparison to the potential damage to relations with the countries offended.

But the more critical issue relates to Mr Obama himself: the image he sold to the electorate in the quest for the American presidency and how well he succeeded in convincing the rest of the world that he was that person. The second is the damage that has been done to trust for America.

After the seedy arrogance of the Bush-Cheney era, with their readiness to sideline 'Old Europe' and jackboot everyone else, Mr Obama, supposedly, represented a new America. Implicit in the Obama doctrine was that Washington's exertion of power would rest as much on its moral authority as its economic and military strength. America would build genuine partnerships, where no one would be subordinate.

We might have all along suspected that for all the charm of Mr Obama's rhetoric, these assertions were not entirely true; America's execution of foreign policy was necessarily daubed with many shades of grey.

But even beyond that, the illicit monitoring of the communications of one's closest political, economic and military allies, including leading members of NATO, strikes this newspaper as particularly vulgar.

Indeed, as Mr Hollande, the French president, said, such behaviour is unacceptable "between friends and colleagues".

Or, as Steffen Seibert, the spokesman for the German chancellor, Angela Merkel, put it: "The bugging of friends is unacceptable. We are not in the Cold War any longer."

OBAMA'S SHIFTING SHADOW

Mr Seibert, and the rest of us, may have misapprehended what happened two decades ago when we declared the Cold War over and America the victor. We may also have misread Barack Obama and how he has been shaped by the demands of US domestic politics and foreign-policy interests.

The thaw from the Cold War represented a lessening of hostilities, but not a total disengagement of the troops. America, or its foreign-policy/security apparatus, we suspect, remains distrustful of Old Europe; those of the continent who were disinclined to recklessly join the crusade of Bush and Cheney and the neocons. These now form part of the front line of a decidedly warmer, but as events have revealed, not entirely trustful relationship.

Further, either Mr Obama was being deliberately misleading when he was enunciating his new foreign-policy contract with the world, or he has been convinced by the security/foreign-policy apparatus that while it is good to talk about morality in power relationships, it is another thing to practise as you preach.
    TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

...among nations?

All friends!!! (wry smile)
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Europe is acting naive or tek people fi fool. They themselves have spies in the USA!

I like Barack's response. Basically it was, "Duh!"

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

...on the one hand, it is chilling 'the inter-play' between

nations (...and indeed, countries). The horrible thing is coming to grips with innocence lost. I was brought up in a religious setting...and although my first instinct is always to trust...in too many cases the outer case of the protective cocoon my parents, family and family friends and acquaintances wrapped around us kids has, as time moves inexorable on, been punctured...picked up so many 'holes'. ...the realization that this world is not all in our formative years we were led to believe. ...it takes on more and more the of Alice (in Wonderland).

...up is down and down is up. The bad people and the good people too often behave in a similar manner. ...it is as if the world has changed. It is all so bewildering 'good' is 'bad' and 'bad' is 'good'. It is crazy... You think you know...and then you realize you do know but it is entirely different from what you once accepted as that which you knew.

...and yet you must remain true to that early innocence or risk losing yourself.

Funny is it not? ...nations scream out great indignation at, for example, USA spying on friends...all in the context of doing the self same thing as the past...their past teaches present 'friends' were once enemies...each nation currently acts in own self-interest(s)...and present friends currently...logically...act in a manner that on multiple levels as enemies...

...if history is any teacher present friends shall become enemies!

...bewildering? ...or is it???
        "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

You miss the point.

The scale of what Babylon is now doing is unprecedented.... completely off the charts. It is far beyond mere spying...it's in the realm of thought control. Anyone, anywhere who decides to use a connected device is subject to a giant vacuum sucking in their thoughts as soon as they're expressed.

Perfidious Babylon

Wake up and smell di coco

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

Comment

Originally posted by Don1 View Post
            You miss the point.

The scale of what Babylon is now doing is unprecedented.... completely off the charts. It is far beyond mere spying...it's in the realm of thought control. Anyone, anywhere who decides to use a connected device is subject to a giant vacuum sucking in their thoughts as soon as they're expressed.

Perfidious Babylon

Wake up and smell di coco
            Wake up and smell di coco ?
            Please...pleeeeeeeeeeeease wake up and smell the coco !!!

Thought I spelt it out - This is the brave new world!
            OK!...here goes: This is not Garden of Eden times (...although in one way it is! Get it?)...this is not the times of BC! ...nor is it the Year Our Lord was born...nor 1944/45...nor even the year Jamaica became independent ...nor even the year the internet became available to the 'common man'...this is the era of greatest growth - take that any which way we wish...population...wealth...'gadgetry'...artifici al intelligence...exploration - sea, land, space, you name it...we are just flying along...and as we seek to 'jump higher', run faster...OK? ...travel in more comfort and faster...live with thinking on pleasure, creature comforts, etc. and are moving towards inventing tools whereon what we think appears for and to us privacy will be a thing of the past. Just think the more we give up the greater 'our gadgets' can please us...the more we can be pleased (simple example - plastic money and the conveniences associated with same...we had to agree to give up tremendous privacy for such to b developed to current usage. Trust me, the uses of 'virtual' transactions.shall move to areas....uses...for purposes we have not even dreamed of... an implanted chip with infinite access to information on the individual and 'out there'?

...where will privacy be then...in those times?

...but directly to your question, as the world moves forward in time it constantly becomes
            The scale of what Babylon is now doing is unprecedented
            ...and that has been and always shall be fact!

Comment

You acquiesce ... I lick out

Let's agree to disagree

Comment

Europe is not a country.

Comment

Really? So...why was I not informed about this breakup?!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

It's called 911 and it's called war on terrorism and it's called Google.

Deal wid it!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
                      It's called 911 and it's called war on terrorism and it's called Google.

Deal wid it!
                      I am dealing with it... haven't you been reading my numerous posts on the matter??

I don't become acquiescent when Babylon uses whatever emotional pretexts to distract persons from illegal trespass on their constitutional rights

Comment

"Dear Europe,

I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it! I'd rather you just said thank you and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon and stand a post." -B. Obama

Comment

But ah whe di....mi name Europe now?

when yuh ah parrot persons yuh fi gi adequate attribution lest persons feel seh ah fi yuh original construct

Comment

Mi name B. Obama ???

ah wheh di !?

Comment

Mek mi elp yuh

Originally posted by Muadib View Post
                              Mi name B. Obama ???

ah wheh di !?

A Few Good Men
                              written by Aaron Sorkin

Jessep: You want answers?
                              Kaffee (Tom Cruise): I think I'm entitled to them.
                              Jessep: You want answers?
                              Kaffee: I want the truth!
                              Jessep: You can't handle the truth! Son, we live in a world that has walls. And those walls have to be guarded by men with guns. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Santiago and you curse the Marines. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know: that Santiago's death, while tragic, probably saved lives. And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives...You don't want the truth. Because deep down, in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that wall. You need me on that wall.

We use words like honor, code, loyalty...we use these words as the backbone to a life spent defending something. You use 'em as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it! I'd rather you just said thank you and went on your way.

Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon and stand a post. Either way, I don't give a damn what you think you're entitled to!

Kaffee: Did you order the code red?
                              Jessep: (quietly) I did the job you sent me to do.
                              Kaffee: Did you order the code red?
                              Jessep: You're goddamn right I did!!
                              Ah suh di ting set

Comment

Working...
                              X