Not practice for police to search arbitrarily – DCP Hinds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not practice for police to search arbitrarily – DCP Hinds

The Police High Command is continuing to defend the Force against claims of widespread abuse of the practice of stopping and searching motorists, claiming the abuse it is not a common practice.
    Although the practice has long been unlawful without reasonable suspicion of an offence being committed or about to be committed, it was again brought to public attention by a recent Supreme Court ruling.
    But the Police are claiming that only a minority in the Force actually engages in the practice. Glenmore Hinds, Deputy Commissioner of Police in charge of Operations, speaking on RJR's Beyond the Headlines on Tuesday, argued that anecdotal accounts of arbitrary stops and searches relate to the actions of a handful of police personnel only.
    He maintained that outside of the law, internal rules and policies are already in place by which the police should abide, and where there are breaches, persons need to use the channels available. He said with a workforce of 15,000 there will be persons who may act outside the guidelines articulated by the public interaction policy.

More at ... http://rjrnewsonline.com/local/not-p...rily-dcp-hinds
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

I recall one Sunday afternoon my friends and I decided we were heading to Jarret Park to watch Craven A league double header. Upon reaching Duncans a police man walk out in the road and pointed to where the driver should stop.

We were told to exit the car by another with a 'long gun' who then requested that the trunk be opened so he can search it. Just like that and if the driver had refused he would have probably shot everyone and claim it was a shootout.

I dont' agree that it is a few. Come again DCP Hines.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

A few? I can't tell how many times the Police have attempted to stop and search my vehicle...and each time I get into heated verbal exchanges with them...why are you stopping me...I was not speeding...my registration sticker is clearly not expired...people just fraid a Police and give in...then comes the "...we have a report of a car matching this description that has been stolen..."...to which I always reply BULLSH!T...and I never show my documents to the police unless I am pulled over for a traffic offence...

Comment

Originally posted by Bricktop View Post
        A few? I can't tell how many times the Police have attempted to stop and search my vehicle...and each time I get into heated verbal exchanges with them...why are you stopping me...I was not speeding...my registration sticker is clearly not expired...people just fraid a Police and give in...then comes the "...we have a report of a car matching this description that has been stolen..."...to which I always reply BULLSH!T...and I never show my documents to the police unless I am pulled over for a traffic offence...
        You lucky? Others will simply get shot in a shootout.

Comment

Uptown man can tell police bout BULLSH!T , the rest of we betta nuh try dat!
          "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

because unnuh don't know unnuh rights...dem can shot me...but dem betta shot mi dead...cause mi a guh set raymond clough pon dem...den retire...

Comment

Bricky what's your complexion? These things should not matter but..... I am not sure if is any and anybody can tell the constabulary Bullshit. At least dem never tell you "walk out before you get chalk out'. LOL.

As an aside since when you get bringle dem nevah force the search ah you mi woulda use fi carry certain tings. Ah so di plantation system set.

Comment

Lol
                TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

Working...
                X