RBSC

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BET Awards tun up wid a dancehall section!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BET Awards tun up wid a dancehall section!

Nuff Jamaican flag in di place! Historian, yah watch?

Last edited by Mosiah; June 30, 2013, 11:12 PM. Reason: Dancehall not reggae

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Yu beat mi to it...."Jamaica run the werl"
    I thought the same...mi gawn...

Comment

Weh de video deh?.....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPGlpRjumR0

Comment

Good performance!

It would have been nice to have seen some songs from this century though, LOL.
        "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Refreshing
          TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

It was indeed enjoyable

Originally posted by Islandman View Post
            Good performance!

It would have been nice to have seen some songs from this century though, LOL.
            This was indeed a refreshing segment and I enjoyed the whole atmosphere. It was also good to see Jabba is still in action with the microphone.

Using the older stuff was, I believe, an excellent idea, including using a mainstream reggae artist, Dawn Penn (“No, No, No”) to start off the Jamaican culture segment. I support this idea because the lines between today’s dancehall and hip hop have become somewhat blurred. What I’m saying is that yesterday’s dancehall, like its forerunner reggae, had a truly distinctive sound.

I believe I spotted one or two celebrities in the audience rocking enthusiastically to the reggae/dancehall sound. Was that India.Arie I saw? Also, was that Gabriel Union rocking away and smiling?

Ultimately, will Jamaican artists and Jamaican music benefit from this brief exposure again to an American mainstream audience? It’s hard to tell. I recall about five years ago Alicia Keys doing something similar (and using a somewhat similar lineup) at an even bigger event, the American Awards. At that time Alicia featured Junior Reid, Shaka Demus and Pliers, and Beenie Man.

Comment

I certainly enjoyed the selections but it made me wonder if it was an indication that dancehall has stagnated as far as breaking into the US audience is concerned.

As you correctly pointed out, Alicia Keys segment some years ago was eerily similar to this one. Coincidence or is it that those are still the best known dancehall songs and artistes in the US 15-20 years after those songs were hits?

Where the hell is Worl' Boss when you need him. LOL.
              "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

I didn't see it but I keep on telling nuff people on the forum(not you) but especially my friend Historian and others to give dancehall a chance. I have spoken that what I hate most about current dancehall is too much americans strings, and phrases in the music(not talking about the lyrics here), but even then an occasional we produce tune comes to the fore.

Some of the major problem with Dancehall now is
                1) The days of artist building there craft on sound system is needed. More practice and also can help to tell a hit song from the early stage.
                2)the internet has affected the 45 business and a lot of the good producers just take a back seat as they all try to figure out the internet base system.
                3)Payola is causing a lot of problem in Jamaica and outside as it dictate what plays.

Unlike Hispanic and others we have no ownership of any radio stations anywhere outside of Jamaica. By now Jamaicans should have radio stations pumping our music.

By the way Indi Arie likes Reggae. She recently had one of her songs remix with a reggae feel, she has also recorded with and toured with Gramps Morgan.
                • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

It was quite entertaining to me except that loud (sometimes) incoherent shouting over the dance hall chunes being DJayed. I found that irritating! let the DJ do their thing.

It's obvious that some thought went into selecting the older approach to dance hall over the contemporary garbage.

(Let me do 50 pushups in prep...1 2, 3, 4 5.......>>>)
                  The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

Originally posted by HL View Post
                    It was quite entertaining to me except that loud (sometimes) incoherent shouting over the dance hall chunes being DJayed. I found that irritating! let the DJ do their thing.

It's obvious that some thought went into selecting the older approach to dance hall over the contemporary garbage.

(Let me do 50 pushups in prep...1 2, 3, 4 5.......>>>)
                    Well, does it say anything when a man considered one of the best in the rap game, Kanye West (no I'm not a fan of his music) has dancehall artistes like Agent Sasco, Beenie Man etc on his new album? I haven't listened to the album, VERY MUCH doubt I will, but I heard an afternoon host on MSNBC talking about it last week.
                    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Man that album is garbage...Sasco proudly all on chune about eating girl ass

Comment

I agree with you

Originally posted by HL View Post

I fully share your view, HL. The overall performance was enjoyable for me, and the presentation of Jamaican culture on such a prominent stage was satisfying.

The shouting you heard was coming from Jabba (the guy in the white shirt and cap), a well known Jamerican deejay in New York who used to work alongside Bobby Konders. In addition to his sound system in NYC and his work on radio, Jabba had his own television show during the early, better days of Tempo (when it was owned by MTV).

That constant shouting by Jabba is popular in dancehall sessions held by Jamaicans in Jamaica and elsewhere, and it was the only thing that annoyed me about the BET performance. For example, check out a couple of the videos from dancehallreggae .com: http://dancehallreggae.com/videos

A question for the forum: Was that India.Arie mouthing the words to Dawn Penn’s opening tune? Also, was that Gabrielle Union lip-syncing “Murder She Wrote” as Pliers sung?

Comment

Historian:

I took a look at the link and did not open it. The pictures were the turn off.

I recall the days when my car was fulla dance hall cassette. Seems like my hearing has evolved to more complex sounds....

Not knocking those who still love the current dance hall. it has grown into something different. I am not proud of it as an export. We can do much better.....
                          Last edited by HL; July 1, 2013, 04:01 PM.
                          The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

Originally posted by Historian View Post
                            I fully share your view, HL. The overall performance was enjoyable for me, and the presentation of Jamaican culture on such a prominent stage was satisfying.

The shouting you heard was coming from Jabba (the guy in the white shirt and cap), a well known Jamerican deejay in New York who used to work alongside Bobby Konders. In addition to his sound system in NYC and his work on radio, Jabba had his own television show during the early, better days of Tempo (when it was owned by MTV).

That constant shouting by Jabba is popular in dancehall sessions held by Jamaicans in Jamaica and elsewhere, and it was the only thing that annoyed me about the BET performance. For example, check out a couple of the videos from dancehallreggae .com: http://dancehallreggae.com/videos

A question for the forum: Was that India.Arie mouthing the words to Dawn Penn’s opening tune? Also, was that Gabrielle Union lip-syncing “Murder She Wrote” as Pliers sung?

Yes, India and Ms. Union.
                            "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Re: India and Ms. Union

Originally posted by Lazie View Post
                              Yes, India and Ms. Union.
                              Thank you, Lazie. I just wanted to make sure my eyes were not deceiving me because it’s not as if India.Arie and Gabrielle were passive spectators, they were singing along with the songs!! A friend of mine also told me today that she saw Nicki Minaj as well in the crowd enjoying herself.

We have a wonderful culture and it has been painful for me over the years as I watch it deteriorate, just like the rest of Jamaica.

And yes, HL, I posted that dancehallreggae .com link to show the levels to which the dancehall culture has descended. And it’s not an isolated case but rather, almost the norm, and no amount of spins (no pun intended) by diehard dancehall fans can hide that.

Comment

Working...
                              X