Like how marriage is no longer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Like how marriage is no longer

between 1 man and one woman as defined by the Supreme court, can we now say a man can have multiply wives?
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

No, He Cannot!

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
    between 1 man and one woman as defined by the Supreme court, can we now say a man can have multiply wives?
    Well, technically he can, but he will almost certainly end up in prison!

The judges on the US Supreme Court merely looked at the issue of the legality of same-sex marriages and came to an interpretation of the laws. (Remember that courts cannot ever make laws; they only exist to interpret the laws.)

Congress (the only federal lawmaking body) has not amended the laws regarding bigamy and polygamy. So, while a man (or woman) can cohabit with as many partners as they wish, they cannot legally marry more than one person.

Times are rapidly changing, but nevertheless I cannot see any state legislature or Congress changing that law in the foreseeable future.

Comment

damn!!!!

thank you boss, well thought out answer. So now maybe the Mormons and others going to push for "their rights"?
      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

That is their right...

We have many assumptions that need to be tested.. it is called the evolution of society.. you would be amazed at what you could not do 50 years ago but seems natural today..

Comment

Wrong Approach

Originally posted by Muadib View Post
          That is their right...

We have many assumptions that need to be tested.. it is called the evolution of society.. you would be amazed at what you could not do 50 years ago but seems natural today..
          Maudib, I fully agree that there are many things that “you could not do 50 years ago but seems natural today.” There is no arguing against that view because society is constantly evolving.

On the other hand, we can test assumptions all we want, but the law is the law! One sensible way that we test assumptions is by taking them to the courts for interpretation, NOT by breaking the existing laws of our community!

On the matter of testing the law, here’s a suggestion that I sincerely hope you implement: Step out to Half Way Tree square one evening and light up a huge spliff. No, wait…. Let me know the day and time when you plan to do so ‘cause I would definitely make arrangements to be across the street watching the drama as it unfolds!

We should agitate for changes to laws, not break them!

Comment

Like what?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

So Mormons should not push for rights ???

Ah wheh di !?

Comment

vote for a Black President in Merica...?

Use a restroom in a restaurant dat white people use..

Go to any beach in Jamaica..

Comment

Completely Different Scenarios!

vote for a Black President in Merica...?

Use a restroom in a restaurant dat white people use..

Go to any beach in Jamaica..
                  Yep, and marry a couple of wives (that is, marry a couple of partners)…..

You see, there is a difference between challenging unequal/unfair/prejudicial societal practices on the one hand and deliberately breaking the law on the other! The latter will land you behind prison bars!

If what you want changes to is a legal matter, agitate for such a change! For example, persuade your representative in the legislature (in Jamaica’s case, MP) or else take the matter to court!

By the way, two things:
                  1 I apologize for the wrong spelling of your name in my previous post above;
                  2 I really think you should try the spliff experiment in Half Way Tree square, as I suggested above. But please remember to make sure you let me know the date and time of your grand experiment!

Comment

That is their right...

Yuh soon cyan marry all Mouse ...ar Monkey

Rath!! Monkey deh an Jamaica as yuh tell wi an' some ah dem muss married

Societal Evolution tuh di Whirl!!!
                    TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
                      Yuh ah advocate cloning??

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

Comment

Social practices ?

You are not aware that racist laws existed and still exist ??

Comment

Yuh nuh embarrass fi come wid dem defunct tactics ?

"If yuh mek black man marry white women.. next ting yuh gwine have is white woman marrying monkey.."

Dem logics deh debunk lang time yute... dead paradigm..

Comment

But wait....
                            Mi nuh know why yuh ah accuse mi ah nuh tactics lika dat.... mi juss ah tawk whe mi ear bout den extrapolate

Yuh tek di identity ah one Desert Mouse plus yuh tell wi seh certain PNP types ah Monkey

Mi tink yuh an' dem Monkey deh shudda ave one right fi marry...nuh choo?? woooiiieee
                            Last edited by Don1; June 29, 2013, 03:10 PM.

Comment

Wrong on both counts.. par for the course..

Comment

Working...
                              X