Chopra: Most Trinis ‘struggling’

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chopra: Most Trinis ‘struggling’

inspiring: Natacha Jones, third from left, speaks with author and motivational speaker Dr Deepak Chopra, centre, yesterday at the National Academy for the Performing Arts (NAPA) in Port of Spain. —Photo: MICHEAL BRUCE

Chopra: Most Trinis ‘struggling’

...despite high ranking among 180 countries in well-being

By Anna Ramdass anna.ramdass@trinidadexpress.com

Story Created: Jun 27, 2013 at 9:47 PM ECT
    Story Updated: Jun 28, 2013 at 6:22 PM ECT

Trinidad and Tobago achieved a high ranking in terms of countries with a good well-being, but its rating which shows that just over half the population was struggling was worrisome, according to spiritual guru Dr Deepak Chopra.
    Chopra delivered a lecture at a seminar at the National Academy for the Performing Arts (NAPA) in Port of Spain yesterday, hosted by Elder and Associates to mark its 20th anni*versary. One Caribbean Media Ltd (OCM), parent company of the Express and CCN TV6, was media partner for the event.
    For just over four hours, Chopra took the hundreds of persons present on a spiritual journey and point*ed out the secret to happiness.
    In his discourse, Chopra not only taught people how to improve their well-being, but he also shared statistics compiled from research from his organisation, which looked at the well-being of the people of some 180 countries globally.
    The people of the countries were ca*tegorised in three sets, those who were thriving, struggling and suffering. (• See table at right)
    • Denmark ranked at number one, with—74 per cent of people thriving, 24 per cent strugg ling and two per cent suffering.
    • Canada was number two, with 66 per cent thriving, 33 per cent struggling and one per cent suffering.
    • Countries such as the Netherlands, Israel, Sweden, Australia, Finland, New Zealand, Austria, Brazil and Costa Rica received high rankings.
    Costa Rica, he said, had received the Nobel Peace Prize as it had disarmed its army and spends on impro*ving the country’s well-being, pla*cing them ahead of the United States.
    • The United States ranked at num*ber 13, with 56 per cent thriving, 41 per cent struggling and three per cent suffering.
    As he turned to Trinidad and Tobago, a number of people from the audience shouted, “Suffering!”.
    “Out of 180 countries, you are 31,” said Chopra to immediate gasps of disbelief from some.
    He said 24 per cent of the people in this country are thriving, 51 per cent are struggling and five per cent are suffering.
    He noted the percentage of people struggling was high, saying it was a “worrisome number” because if nothing is done to remedy this, then people can fall into the suffering category.
    Chopra said this was very predictable data which correlates with crime in the country, hospital admissions, the quality of leadership, etc.
    Most of the world, he said, was not doing well on the well-being index because the people are either struggling or suffering, and this was why there was social injustice, economic disparity and illnes*ses such as cancer and heart disease.
    Chopra said the fastest way to achieve happiness was to make others happy as attitudes to others have a profound impact on production and spiritual growth.
    He noted that research showed if a boss was ignoring his employee, the rate of disengagement was 40 per cent and that employee was likely to fall ill.
    If a boss does not ignore but criticises an employee, the rate falls to 20 per cent, and if a boss focuses on a single strength of an employee, the rate is less than one per cent.
    Chopra provided the formula to happiness.
    Happiness=set point in the brain+ conditions of living+voluntary choi*ces (H=S+C+V)
    The set point in the brain, he said, determines 50 per cent of one’s daily happiness—but this is determined in the first three years of life. The good thing is a person has the ability to change his set point.
    Voluntary choices, he said, are the decisions one makes on a daily basis that brings either permanent or temporary happiness.
    He noted in the US, shopping, followed by food and then sex brought people temporary happiness.
    Permanent happiness, he said, is what gives us our life’s purpose and a feeling of fulfilment.
    Chopra closed his four-hour session teaching the audience the art of meditation through the various levels of consciousness.
    He then personally autographed copies of his book The Seven Spiritual Laws of Success to the 1,000-plus people who attended the event.
    OCM CEO Dawn Thomas told the Express she was happy with the huge turnout and hoped Chopra’s teachings will bring a general improvement to the people of the coun*try.
    “I was really happy with where we ranked in terms of the well-being index; I think that was very encouraging and very hopeful for us as a society. I am hoping that the teachings of Dr Chopra will impact on the people who are here today and their family and friends; it will just be infec*tious,” she added.
    Executive director of Elders and Associates Dr Patricia Elder said she was overwhelmed by the seminar and was glad people were touched and pleased with everything.
    She noted a young man told her his whole perception had changed as he never knew there was such philosophy of thought.
    Former justice Gladys Gafoor was also in full praise.
    “I wish more people would have attended this because I think it would have made a difference in the country, and I think it would have made a difference to the crime situation as well. Attending this lecture has made me a better person and has been a very enriching experience for me,” she said.
    Another patron, Juliet Hadad, said: “It was extremely enlightening; it takes you to a completely different level, things that you have never thought of before or that you thought were never possible in your own soul.”
    On this country’s well-being ranking, she said, “I thought it was interesting because I do think we are a relatively happy nation, but I didn’t expect us to score so high, honestly.”
    Countries ranked according to well-being
    Country Ranking Thriving Struggling Suffering
    Denmark 1 74 24 2
    Canada 2 66 33 1
    USA 13 56 41 3

T&T 31 24 51 5

Well we know Chopra not strugggling nor suffereing either as each of the 1,000 attendees paid $1,600 TT each (approx. $250US) each to hear him.

I wonder where he put jamaica on that IIndex?? out of curiosity... cause if 51 % of Trinis are struggling whe dat leave JA?
    Peter R

Comment

Saw him on TV...he's very smooth talking....says he loves cricket and named Sobers, Hall and Gilchrist among his favourites.....

So, did you go? Well I'm in the suffering section....

Comment

No I thought that would be a colossal waste of money, especially when I can read his book for free...even if I have to buy it

Anyway, his continuum lacks a couple of intermediate categories IMO. I would seriously not consider myself "thriving" but not "struggling" and definitely not "suffering" either... he needs a category or two in between, I think.
        Peter R

Comment

Question is - is it really a continuum? Or just 1s and zeros?

Comment

Working...
          X