• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• " Suh the fadda,

suh di son,
    mi puppa was a gallis, same suh mi come,
    all a mi bredda dem have 15 son
    couldn't afford fi let mi ole man dung!" (Lenoard 'Merciless' Barkley)

Art imitating life? When will this issue be addressed? Yet to hear any politician address this, yes Mosiah neither PNP nor JLP. A serious campaign need to be started .. promoting family life, but I guess its a bit too much of a touchy subject.

I recall going to a baby shower late last year when the father of the father to be stated boldly, "mek sure a bwoy .... or else yuh affi guh back!"

Apparently I was one of the few that didn't see it as being funny.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Re: " Suh the fadda,

Originally posted by Lazie View Post
    suh di son,
    mi puppa was a gallis, same suh mi come,
    all a mi bredda dem have 15 son
    couldn't afford fi let mi ole man dung!" (Lenoard 'Merciless' Barkley)

Art imitating life? When will this issue be addressed? Yet to hear any politician address this, yes Mosiah neither PNP nor JLP. A serious campaign need to be started .. promoting family life, but I guess its a bit too much of a touchy subject.

I recall going to a baby shower late last year when the father of the father to be stated boldly, "mek sure a bwoy .... or else yuh affi guh back!"

Apparently I was one of the few that didn't see it as being funny.
    Lazie I agree there is much work to do with out of wedlock children BUT Jamaica has a very healthy and strong family life and values culture.
    It's much better than many countries.

Comment

"BUT Jamaica has a very healthy and strong family life and values culture.
      It's much better than many countries."

Really? You come to that conclusion based on what? . ... emotions? How kids gonna be exposed to a strong family life when nuff a dem nuh know dem fadda .. much less a fadda figure? Yuh think if some had a strong father figure they would become a menace to society?

Values culture? How yuh fi say dat when a young man in him 20s and is yet to be a father is mocked for being "bung"? How yuh fi say dat when a youth say him nuh want nuh kids until him get married and everybody deh pon him case bout fi mek sure a nuh mule? Last I check a mule is a 4 legged animal. How yuh fi say that when there are idiots telling youngsters fi nuh tek nuh woman whey have another man's pickney?

For the record, the out of wedlock isn't really where I'm going as there are some parents who aren't married, but are excellent parents for their children. My issue is the ppl dem wid di whole heep a pickney all ova the blasted place when dem not in a position fi care fi demselves muchless the kids.
      "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Scaly mi a go fight you on that one. About 1/3 of the children in Ja don't know their father or only seen them a few times.

Men have so many kids and don't support them. The family structure normally come from a single mother and a grandmother. Scaly it is bad, vey bad. Too many Jamaican fathers not supporting their kids. This is one of the reasons why so much load is on the government. Too many kids grow up without a father and nuff a them get no support from their dads. Growing up most of the kids I know didn't have father around, we may see dads on weekend or once a year when them pass through but they never gave a constant financial or emotional support to their kids.
        How can you do that when you have 6 kids with 4 different women anyway? I know something you can't be with your kids but you must be ready to take a phone call, write, and spend time with them when needed. I know you know what I am talking cause I know you are a dat who give your all, just imagine if half a the men you know gave half the effort you did. You know how many kids I hear say I hate my dad? only that they don't mean it but are fustrated by the lack of support from their parents?

Lazie we lucky a nuh China cause if a nuh bwoy sometimes them get rid of it.
        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

The trouble with some of us when we make certain comments, we are really only speaking about the people and the community we know. We really don't know the true Jamaica.

What we need to realise is that Jamaica is not Campion, or Cherry Gardens, or Tivoli, or Montego Bay, or...get my drift?

That's why when people talk bout how Jamaicans are of mixed race, yuh know is uptown dem born and grow.

Or when them surprised that we have 20% pass in English. Is Campion and Immaculate dem people guh!

Suh Scaly, my good friend, most of Jamaica is not like your circle of friends who operate from the high rises of New Kingston in the day to the hills of St. Andrew at night. We do have an extremely dysfunctional family setup throughout Jamaica (generally speaking, of course).

There are radio shows where this issue is addressed, but it's clear the message does not reach the ears and the minds of our people.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
          X