RBSC

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stop being so defensive and do your job, Samuda!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stop being so defensive and do your job, Samuda!

Stop being so defensive and do your job, Samuda!

Published: Wednesday | June 19, 2013

Minister of Industry, Investment and Commerce Anthony Hylton (left) and chairman of JAMPRO, Milton Samuda, participate in a discussion at the 5th Biennial Jamaica Diaspora Conference under way at the Montego Bay Convention Centre. -JIS

1 2 3 4 >

Milton Samuda, the chairman of JAMPRO, is quick to identify what he asserts are position differences between myself and JLP Leader Andrew Holness on the current Diaspora Conference.In his haste to defend himself, JAMPRO and the Government, he claims inconsistencies between my position, as carried in The Gleaner the day before, and the best wishes advanced by the opposition leader in his message to the Diaspora Conference, even while he tries to convince himself and readers that the event is already a success based on preliminary statistics on investor matchmaking on the floor.
    For the record, like the opposition leader, I, too, wish that the current staging of the Diaspora Conference in Montego Bay will be a success. The concept of a conference that brings together the critical Jamaican stakeholders from around the world to encourage and facilitate better understanding of our national issues and their concerns, while fostering initiatives for the growth and development of the country, is a good one.
    I have always been supportive of the efforts of the diaspora, who have worked hard abroad and maintained their close links to Jamaica, despite the many obstacles they have to face when they return to visit, reside or invest, by an inefficient government bureaucracy.
    STANDING MY GROUND
    If Mr Samuda had been less quick to judge and taken the time to appreciate what I said, perhaps he would have understood the substance of my concerns and be guided as he attempts to carry out his responsibilities as chairman of JAMPRO.
    I make no apologies for asserting that previous Diaspora Conferences have not sufficiently converted discussions and ideas into tangible realities for the benefit of the expatriate community and the country. As a consequence, these conferences have, so far, been viewed by many as a place to meet and greet.
    I continue to be firm in my position that for any meaningful discussion to take place with the diaspora, there needs to be a better understanding of make-up and holistic influence and contribution of the expatriate community, both in the places where they reside and the Jamaican economy.
    Currently, the most significant criterion identified as representing the contribution of the diaspora is the value and consistency of their remittances. While important, this tells only a small bit of the potential of the diaspora and prevents proper planning and targeting of activities that could truly tap into the capacity of this community.
    As I said at a recent Gleaner Editors' Forum, the Government should have long had a database of diaspora investors and key influencers and a more deliberate strategy deployed to give them preference for investment opportunities and public-service engagement in areas where the country clearly has deficiencies and limited capacity.
    GAPS IN CONFERENCE FOCUS
    No Diaspora Conference should take place during this period of economic difficulty, without an in-depth discussion around the recently concluded International Monetary Fund agreement, how Government intends to follow through on this agreement by being more prudent and accountable in its operations, and defining a specific role for the critical diaspora stakeholders.
    Mr Samuda should be reminded that more than 70 per cent of Jamaicans trained at the highest level here in Jamaica eventually emigrate primarily for economic reasons, stockpiling and using the bulk of our intellectual capacity overseas. As part of any diaspora re-engagement, government policy must find a way to more deliberately tap into that database, in a manner that is mutually beneficial.
    Finally, Mr Samuda is reminded that his announced statistics on matchmaking prospects at this conference are not investments until conversion takes place. At this time, instead of being so defensive, his efforts would be better spent sorting out the leadership crisis that JAMPRO currently faces.
    I find it difficult to understand that in this period of economic crisis, with the call and need for investment and growth, the Government's primary investment promotion and facilitation agency has vacancies in the top positions of president and three of the four vice-presidents, facilitated by the non-renewal of contracts. What are you doing about this, Mr Chairman!
    Senator Dr Chris Tufton is opposition spokesperson on foreign affairs, foreign trade and investments. Email feedback to columns@gleanerjm.com and CCtufton@gmail.com.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.
Working...
X