Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Public Views on the utterances by JTA ex-Presidents

VOX POP

Should the two past presidents of the Jamaica Teachers' Association apologise to the country and Education Minister Ronald Thwaites for their recent derogatory remarks?

Published: Wednesday | May 29, 2013 0 Comments

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Marjorie Facey -Administrative assistant/university student Absolutely, yes! Teachers are the educators for now and the future and if this is the way our future leaders are taught how to resolve a conflict, we are in big trouble. That is why the professional body of teachers are looked upon as the worst because they have given others that impression. It was very rude to have referred to the education minister as a mongrel dog who appeared to be on cocaine.

Ryan Small - Chairman of the National Youth Council
    I do believe that both presidents should apologise publicly because as young people, these are the people we look to and with those utterances made at the consultations, it does send the wrong message. Sanctions must also be applied because it cannot be that these persons made such statements and it has been overlooked.

Dr Elizabeth Ward - Chairman of the Violence Prevention Alliance
    The two vice-presidents along with the minister need to meet and put the students first in the issue. We need to understand that our children failing is part of the reason why our country cannot progress and cannot overcome the mess that it is in.

Archbishop Emeritus Donald Reece - President of the Jamaica Council of Churches
    They should apologise because if they are going to remain in the teaching profession which involves young people and people in general, then something should be done. We all make mistakes and I think in the heat of the moment they got carried away, but in order to move forward with some reconciliation, which we must have, it is imperative that they apologise.

Claudette Pious -Executive director of Children First
    I spoke to some persons about it just yesterday and one of the arguments that came out is that leaders generally do not set examples and they are getting too many mixed messages and that for me speaks volumes and so, while it is important that they apologise, we need our leaders to start ensuring that they be better role models for our young people and the society on a whole.

Superintendent Gladys Brown - Head of the Centre for the Investigation of Sexual Offences and Child Abuse
    I think especially Mr Dixon should apologise. Here in Jamaica, calling someone a dog or a 'john crow' (vulture) is an insult. If a student or anybody had equated him (Dixon) to a mongrel dog, I am sure he would take great offence and so especially for our young people it is important that he apologise.

Henry Savizon, Driver
    I strongly believe that the two past presidents of the JTA should make a public apology to the honourable minister and to the country for the comments or referrals made by them. It cannot be that public officials, who are representatives of the people and the Government are being insulted and their character defamed. It is disrespectful and irresponsible on the part of the former JTA heads.

Ayrton Blary, Tailor
    It is a sad day in Jamaica when our political representative can be referred and made to be compared to a mongrel dog. And such degrading comments come from those who have represented our island's teachers in various educational matters and discussions in charting the way forward. Such comments or referrals are unwarranted and irresponsible, and they should be reprimanded. I am one of those calling for a public apology to the country and to the minister of education.

More Sharing ServicesShare | Share on facebookShare on myspaceShare on googleShare on twitter
    Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
    - Langston Hughes

This was easy!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
    X