Congrats to Ralph Thomas, New Ambassador to China

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Congrats to Ralph Thomas, New Ambassador to China

Ralph has posted a few times in this Forum, if I am not mistaken. I know his writings have sparked some heated conversations from time to time. I am happy for him.

Jamaica's new ambassador to China
    — Ralph Thomas
    BY HG HELPS Editor-at-Large helpsh@jamaicaobserver.com
    Thursday, May 02, 2013

ONE-time political aspirant, now financial consultant and university lecturer, Ralph Thomas, has been appointed Jamaica's new ambassador to the People's Republic of China, the Jamaica Observer can report.

Thomas, a senior teaching fellow at the Mona School of Business and lecturer in the Department of Management Studies at the University of the West Indies, will succeed Ambassador Courtenay Rattray, who will take up duties as Jamaica's Permanent Representative to the United Nations in New York next month. Rattray had been Jamaica's ambassador to China since 2008.

THOMAS ... chosen for his strong economics background
    1/1
    A career diplomat, Rattray also served as non-resident ambassador to the Democratic People's Republic of Korea and Vietnam, as well as non-resident high commissioner to Pakistan, Singapore and Bangladesh — duties that Thomas are expected to perform as well.

"Prime Minister Portia Simpson Miller selected Thomas herself," a key Government source told the Observer yesterday.

"The prime minister sees China as Jamaica's biggest trading partner in short order and wants to send an envoy there who fully understands economics and can negotiate meaningful business deals for Jamaica," the source added.

Thomas is expected to begin his tour of duty in the world's most populous country by August of this year.

Regarded in business circles as one of the leading financial brains in Jamaica, Thomas served for 22 years as vice president/regional manager of the Bank of New York.

A graduate of Columbia University with an MBA in finance, Thomas returned to Jamaica within the last decade to contest a seat in the 2007 general election for the People's National Party, going up against seasoned Jamaica Labour Party stalwart Pearnel Charles. He, however, lost out in trying to wrest the North-Central Clarendon seat from the veteran parliamentarian.

Minister of Foreign Affairs and Foreign Trade A J Nicholson could not be reached to speak on Thomas' appointment, but his deputy, Minister of State Arnaldo Brown told the Observer yesterday: "I cannot confirm that at all," in response to the question of Thomas' posting.

Countless efforts to contact Thomas for a comment, failed.

The Jamaica Government has appointed a few high-profile people to fill vacancies in missions overseas.

Former Cabinet minister in a previous PNP administration, Aloun Assamba took up duties as high commissioner to the United Kingdom last year.

Her appointment preceded that of former principal of the Norman Manley law School, Rhodes Scholar, Professor Stephen Vasciannie, who was appointed Ambassador to the United States and the Organisation of American States last July.

Vasciannie, a former deputy solicitor general, is regarded as highly non-political, although he was at one time a member of the then fledgling political party, the National Democratic Movement, at the time headed by Bruce Golding, with whom Vasciannie had a relationship that was deemed irreparable in later years.

When Golding became prime minister in 2007, he objected to the recommendation of the Services Commission to have Vasciannie serve as solicitor general, a position that was later taken up by Douglas Leys.

Read more: http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/news/...#ixzz2S7m7Tucx

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Did his face ever meet my Skeechers?

Comment

good luck. High profile job. hope he can deliver.
      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

all dem details and more wi need fi know..

all dem ambassah business nuh mean nutting !

Comment

QUOTE: A graduate of Columbia University with an MBA in finance, Thomas returned to Jamaica within the last decade to contest a seat in the 2007 general election for the People's National Party, going up against seasoned Jamaica Labour Party stalwart Pearnel Charles. He, however, lost out in trying to wrest the North-Central Clarendon seat from the veteran parliamentarian.

Jamaican are clueless about what is good for them. They are shallow and not forward thinking.

Pearnel Charles has been in politics while I lived in Jamaica--and that's a long time ago.

Here is a guy with fresh new ideas, he has what looks like excellent qualifications...who is ideal in changing things. The local folks prefer free-hand outs...(bun n' cheese...curry goat box food etc etc...)

Gonna take a miracle to change Jamaica.

I am going to hold my breath...'ere goes...hmmefurf
          The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

They may be all of that, but that does not mean that Thomas would have made a good representative. His talents are being far better employed in the diplomatic circle.

I just think that reading the statement opened up an old wound.

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

yuh mean like how Tufton lose him seat and how PJ win 4 straight terms.. boasting about cell-phone, gyal and cyar ?

lol ! woiee ! When did the revelation hit you ?

Comment

No, that is not possible with Ralph. He's a bright man. What he has forgotten is more than what you know!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Gamma View Post
                  They may be all of that, but that does not mean that Thomas would have made a good representative. His talents are being far better employed in the diplomatic circle.

I just think that reading the statement opened up an old wound.
                  True, but I think almost any change would be better than the existing one from when? the 60's?
                  The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

Big up to Ralph; very nice man... met him here in T&T at Exile's first if memory serves me well; and at Exile's wedding.
                    Peter R

Comment

Originally posted by Peter R View Post
                      Big up to Ralph; very nice man... met him here in T&T at Exile's first if memory serves me well; and at Exile's wedding.
                      And that he is! Ralph is totally without airs, and can hang with anyone from any walk of life. He is the consummate diplomat.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Don't sound like anyone from THIS forum..

Comment

Especially not you. LOL.

Comment

ah wheh di !?

Comment

Ok I take it back. You have always been the consummate diplomat.

Comment

Working...
                              X