No announcement yet.

Attention Termites: Time to get tough with the Roti Eaters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

State companies and private companies are different. CAL is state hence why it can be mismanaged and bailed out etc. There are incentive schemes for sm of the industrial companies for price of gas (natural gas) I think...the insurance company (CLICO) is/was a huge mess....could/would/may still have large-scale ramifications...it was a bailout..BUT the majority of exports are mostly from privately run businesses....

Comment

the fact is Trinidad get oil subsidy but anybody who expect to get the same subsides that they get is out of their mind. Yes we can look a better deal than we currently have but we have to find ways to compete.

I also don't doubt the repackaging of goods, it is too tempting not to do it for some company who want shortcut. Some of our companies also get some subsidies. How can you describe a investor building a hotel and get a 15 year tax break? That allow them to lower their price than the other man who have been around and paying their tax every year, or the little man who a try a thing.
      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
        the fact is Trinidad get oil subsidy but anybody who expect to get the same subsides that they get is out of their mind.
        You are unfamiliar with the nature of this issue...clearly.

The Caricom Agreement requires "national treatment" for businesses regionwide....meaning that there should be a level playing field regarding prices charged businesses locally and that charged regional trade partners.

Jamaica filed a trade complaint charging that the net back pricing TT was quoting for the proposed LNG terminal in JA was way above that charged on the TT gas market...and requested that the prices be aligned

The clever, conniving Trinis claimed that whereas their market receives Natural Gas (via pipeline I suppose) ...Jamaica would be importing LNG. So since LNG was not traded within TT the Caricom national treatment rules are void..... a mealy mouthed piece of sophistry one expects of Trinis. Clearly violating the spirit if not the letter of the Caricom treaty.

Subsequently even after JA agreed to import gas from TT at the inflated pricing...TT reneged on the deal...claiming that they were "running out of gas" and had contracts to fulfill with Babylon instead.

For me this craven TT behavior is more than enuff grounds for Jamaica to act in its own interest (TT has no problem doing that) and withdraw from any element of Caricom which doesn't suit us at the moment. Jamaica wasted almost 10 years dealing with the traitorous Trinis on this issue...delaying the energy diversification program and costing many billions of USD in additional energy costs.

Regional solidarity is overrated...we live in a Global Village...not a Caribbean Hamlet
        Last edited by Don1; April 20, 2013, 03:41 PM.
        TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

Maybe if we were more interested in production like in the 80's as opposed to more cyar, gyal and cellphone.. as in later years den Trinidadians would require a Visa to come here.. instead of..

Comment

Nationalized ??

How dat gwine help ?

Dem nuh own Petrojam Refinery ? Nuh dat why wi stuck innah di bunning oil fi powah ting ?

Ah wheh di ?!

Comment

Originally posted by Muadib View Post
              Maybe if we were more interested in production like in the 80's as opposed to more cyar, gyal and cellphone.. as in later years den Trinidadians would require a Visa to come here.. instead of..

Nope...1980s style production of low wage, low skill, fly by night, piecework garments, screwdriver industry and cocaine masquerading as "winter vegetables" from an insulated, tariff protected market underwritten by Babylon handouts is not what I would recommend in today's globalized, high tech economy

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

Comment

Let me repeat because it look like yuh deaf:

Maybe if we were more interested in PRODUCTION like in the 80's as opposed to more cyar, gyal and cellphone...

Style changes with the times.. one must first understand that PRODUCTION is the key to Economic success..your retort while good propaganda is immaterial to the point..

Comment

If you are so familar with it, how come until now Trinidad hasn't budge and show no sign of budging?

They simply will not yield to it, Jamaica and others can do what they want but Trinidad will never provide the same benefit it gives to its own to Caricom, like it or it.

It is ok to be idealist, I am a realist and that is it.
                  Last edited by Assasin; April 20, 2013, 07:22 PM.
                  • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Did China start with High tech?

Comment

shhhhh....

Patience Grass Hopper.. is nuff more rope did deh fi him heng himself..

Cho...

Comment

FINSAC pales in comparison to the Jamaica Redevelopment Fund.
                        My guess is things would be worse if Petrojam Refinery was not owned ...
                        Do you understand that as long as the JPS is privatized any alternative energy source that is realized will not benefit JP?Furthermore, you can't expect a corporation to initiate anything that would lessen its profits.

The Govt will be more open to the idea of providing subsidy if a foreign corporation is not involved.
                        You are asking too much if you want our businesses to be competitive given the current dynamics.

Comment

You are talking without a basic understanding of the energy supply chain..

JPS only has a monopoly on distribution.. the fuel cost is a huge part of the energy Bill.. JPS does not make a cent from that..

JPS buys all its fuel from Petrojam.. what would happen to Petrojam if JPS moved away from fossil fuel ?

<In explaining the existing structure Mr. Mair said that 50% of the output of Petrojam’s refinery is Heavy Fuel Oil (HFO) which is what the generators of JPS uses. Petrojam he said needs to sell this HFO for which it has limited options as HFO has low market value. Petrojam then wants to ensure that it gets a good price for a type of fuel that basically nobody wants and that JPS buys and recovers from the consumer. In other words, it is the Jamaican electricity consumer who is paying for the HFO purchased by JPS at Petrojam.>

Our refusal to move from fossil fuel has NOTHING to do with the Govt level of 'openness'

At one point every Alternative Energy Supply to the Grid 'venture' had to have PCJ as a partner.. a special act was created.. it was only broken in 2012..

<PARLIAMENT completed the task of breaking the Petroleum Corporation of Jamaica's (PCJ) control of the exploitation and development of renewable energy resources on Friday.
                          The Senate unanimously — showing bipartisan support for a diversified energy environment — followed last week's action of the House of Representatives by approving the Petroleum of Corporation of Jamaica (Extension of Functions) (Amendment) Order, removing the PCJ's exclusive right to exploit and develop renewable resources in Jamaica.>

Why do you believe Oil Companies own Alternative Energy Technology companies...

Poor sheep...

You will need Critical Thinking to figure that one out..

Last edited by Muadib; April 21, 2013, 12:04 AM.

Comment

The so called production in the 1980s has been dismissed by credible international economic analysts as a handout fueled bubble which actually worsened conditions for the majority...creating massive misery via IMF inspired programs. The increased misery of the working class in this period is well documented and irrefutable. No doubt this led to the rejection of Seaga in 1989

However you JLP tribalists can continue to bleat in futility about the wonderful 1980s...no worries
                            Last edited by Don1; April 21, 2013, 04:01 PM.

Comment

I am glad I have relieved you of your ignorance of the treaty provisions and the relevant inter-governmental discussions on the energy issue

The least you could say is thanks.... this is a failure to follow your home training

Comment

You are really asking what would happen if Petrojam moves from HFO which has a low market value?
                                Petrojam sells HFO for a profit,the extent of that profit would be minimized if the Govt is given the responsibility of running the JPS.

All initiatives at alternative energy come from Govt. and given the correlation between energy cost and the failing of the manufacture industry, Govt will be forced(now more than ever) to address the problem.
                                In any event, as long as the JPS is privatized, there is no reason to think alternative energy source will become a reality for JP.
                                We have more control over of Govt than we have of foreign corporations.
                                Privatizing this crucial industry is the first step.

Comment

Working...
                                X