X.. Critical Thinking never fails..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X.. Critical Thinking never fails..

Di Babylon breddah yuh a cling on to expose lang time !

"Dr Ashby had set the extreme position of conservative thinking in privatisation and investment as the goals by which to measure the success or failure of my Administration. As set out in chapter 26, our approach to divestment/investment was not cast in concrete. It was pragmatic enough to allow it to meet the urgencies of the moment as in the case of acquiring Esso and operating Jamalco. Since these instances did not meet the standards of a Reagan approach, as determined by Ashby, I was dubbed by Ashby "a Caribbean con-man" who failed in my attempt to be another Reagan although my policies, while mostly conservative in economic matters, were decidedly liberal in social objectives.

On the other hand, according to Ashby, Michael Manley was a social democrat who was succeeding in his struggle against the far left of his party. This was quite the opposite of the truth as Manley was very much the radical leader.
    Franklyn should have read in the autobiography further and he would have recognised Ashby's lack of credibility.

I quote again:
    "Whether of his own accord or prompted by others, Ashby then produced another monograph which was entitled: 'The Rise and Fall of Edward Seaga', in which he implied impropriety of the Government of Jamaica in accounting for funds generated by USAID programmes. Since these were allegations about the handling and accounting of funds by the Government in a published document, I referred the allegations to Mr William Joslin, director of the USAID in Jamaica.

Joslin replied:

"Regarding the allegation that $27 million was unaccounted for... the USAID/Jamaica subsequently conducted an independent review of the Government of Jamaica's accounting and auditing systems utilised to account for local currency programmes and activities, and found that those systems are acceptable. Based on the assessment... the USAID/Jamaica is satisfied that the $27 million worth of local currency was properly used and properly accounted for by the Government of Jamaica."

Ashby was no longer employed by the Heritage Foundation thereafter.

lol ! woiee !

Tap defend the indefensible yute.. it can only bring you embarrassment and ridicule..

Why after hearing the the official press release from the JCF you question its account (as if you are hearing it from the officer involved)?
    Michael Manley later retracted his statements that suggested CIA covert operations designed to undermine his Govt...yet at this point in time there is stronger evidence that they did exactly that?

"Regarding the allegation that $27 million was unaccounted for... the USAID/Jamaica subsequently conducted an independent review of the Government of Jamaica's accounting and auditing systems utilised to account for local currency programmes and activities, and found that those systems are acceptable. Based on the assessment... the USAID/Jamaica is satisfied that the $27 million worth of local currency was properly used and properly accounted for by the Government of Jamaica."
    This is a smack in the face of anyone that professes to master critical thinking, rather an embarrassing oversight, even more damning on the person that refers to that damning paragraph as proof of verification...

A conspiracy involves two or more people.

Comment

ASHBY, SEAGA,OBSERVER, STONE ETC ETC .If there is a debate about this so called wizardry , then it is obviously questionable.I stated my views and stand by them.

Seaga: JLP Government's big ideas restored growth

Sunday, December 30, 2012

FORMER Prime Minister Edward Seaga has countered People's National Party (PNP) official Delano Franklyn's assertion that there were no big ideas at work during the 1980s when Seaga's Jamaica Labour Party (JLP) formed the Government.

Seaga, in a letter to the editor, insisted that it was the 'big ideas' of his Administration that restored growth after the economy plunged to its lowest point ever during the 1970s under the PNP Government led by Michael Manley.

SEAGA… said his administration restored growth after the economy plunged to its lowest point ever during the 1970s under the PNP Government

1/2

"The direction of growth was reversed from decline to incline after the most turbulent period in the Jamaican economy, a monumental achievement, as a result of the fresh strategies of the 1980s borne of 'big ideas'," said Seaga, who is now Distinguished Fellow at the University of the West Indies, Mona Campus.
      Franklyn, an attorney and advisor to the current Government, had countered a claim by letter writer Ken Jones in which Jones said that successive governments have found it difficult to think big, as Seaga did and still does. "They have become so accustomed to begging and borrowing that it has become a nasty habit that shames us and makes nonsense of the claim of Independence," Jones wrote in his letter published on December 14.
      However Franklyn, in his response, pointed readers to an assessment by Timothy Ashby, director of the Office of the Caribbean Basin from the US Department of Commerce in which Ashby wrote that "despite one billion in US dollar development assistance... Edward Seaga failed to transform Jamaica's economy during more than eight years in office".
      Franklyn also made reference to an article by the late Carl Stone in which he said that "despite the massive external assistance to the Jamaican economy under Seaga's leadership, production levels in 1987 were still below real output years between 1970 and 1976".
      But Seaga, in his response, poured cold water on both assessments, describing Stone's as "a bit of sophistry".
      Here is the full text of Seaga's letter.
      Dear Editor,
      I refer to a letter to the editor by Delano Franklyn published on December 18 in the Jamaica Observer. Mr Franklyn denies that there were any "big ideas" at work in the 1980s as expressed by Mr Ken Jones, also in your paper.
      He cites the writings of Dr Timothy Ashby of the Heritage Foundation, a conservative institution operating in Washington. I quote from my autobiography My Life and Leadership Volume 11 page 166.
      "Dr Ashby had set the extreme position of conservative thinking in privatisation and investment as the goals by which to measure the success or failure of my Administration. As set out in chapter 26, our approach to divestment/investment was not cast in concrete. It was pragmatic enough to allow it to meet the urgencies of the moment as in the case of acquiring Esso and operating Jamalco. Since these instances did not meet the standards of a Reagan approach, as determined by Ashby, I was dubbed by Ashby "a Caribbean con-man" who failed in my attempt to be another Reagan although my policies, while mostly conservative in economic matters, were decidedly liberal in social objectives.
      On the other hand, according to Ashby, Michael Manley was a social democrat who was succeeding in his struggle against the far left of his party. This was quite the opposite of the truth as Manley was very much the radical leader.
      Franklyn should have read in the autobiography further and he would have recognised Ashby's lack of credibility. I quote again:
      "Whether of his own accord or prompted by others, Ashby then produced another monograph which was entitled: 'The Rise and Fall of Edward Seaga', in which he implied impropriety of the Government of Jamaica in accounting for funds generated by USAID programmes. Since these were allegations about the handling and accounting of funds by the Government in a published document, I referred the allegations to Mr William Joslin, director of the USAID in Jamaica. Joslin replied:
      Ashby was no longer employed by the Heritage Foundation thereafter.
      Professor Carl Stone was also quoted as stating that the GDP of the late 1980s was less than the early 1970s. This is a bit of sophistry as Dr Stone was aware that the GDP at the beginning of the 1970s, under the JLP, was at the highest point ever and then plunged by the end of the 1970s, under the change of Government, to the lowest point ever. It was from this record low performance that the "big ideas" of the 1980s rescued the economy and restored growth.
      The economy had made a definite turnaround.
      Based on data prepared by the Bank of Jamaica:
      * The fiscal balance was in surplus in 1989 ($257.6 Ja mn). This was the lowest fiscal deficit since Independence.
      * In 1989, inflation was 6.7 per cent. This level of inflation was five per cent lower than that of 1979. Note that 1989 was the year after Hurricane Gilbert.
      * The investment ratio was the highest in 12 years (20.6 per cent -- 1987);
      * Some 100,000 jobs were created between 1985 and 1989, the largest amount ever in a five-year period.
      * Unemployment rate (18 per cent) was the lowest in 17 years.
      * Within a 14-year period, 1973-1987, economic growth reached its highest level.
      * Real GDP growth rate was eight per cent in 1987 and seven per cent in 1989.
      * In the 1972-1980 period, GDP growth was negligible in two years and negative in every other year.
      The direction of growth was reversed from decline to incline after the most turbulent period in the Jamaican economy, a monumental achievement, as a result of the fresh strategies of the 1980s borne of "big ideas".

Read more: http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/news/...#ixzz2QFrA2Mz3
      THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Pretty sure that all his detractors can put up Data to support their thesis , by the way wasn't he voted out 3 years after the declaration by Ashby ?

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Ashby get expose.. next..

Comment

You are pretty sure.. ??

Suh wait.. yuh nuh have it ?

Is suh yuh ah mek next claffy propaganda tun yuh innah eediat...

Critical Thinking approach.. I advise you use it..

lol ! woiee !

Comment

Like Seaga ...next !

Comment

Lee Kuan Yew woulda get the same treatment..

Unnuh nuh have nuh sense.. bottom line...

Mi si man a ball fi leadahship.. dem couldn tell a leadah if him drop innah dem lap..

Mi bet if Chavez run gainst Lee Kuan Yew in Jamaica elections.. Chavez win in a landslide. mi wouldah put MONEY pon dat..

Comment

Talk to yuh C.I.A , conservative ,C.B.I director , di man say Seaga was a disaster, Seaga can write im newspaper bibliography all im want , Regan bwaay said he was a failure.

I know it hurts....husssh the truth always does.

Comment

and people say Omar Davis was our best Finance Minister..

*yawn*

Critical Thinking.. take a course..

Comment

Ashby was discredited and lose him wuk..... move on..

Comment

lol....pity dem neva ask X.... bwoooy yuh days dem get dark , yuh economist article get quash by another economist article and Regan bwwooy Ashby get quoted as saying Seagas beg and borrow financial wizardry was a disaster.

Yuh ead a hot yuh , up 1 o clock a night a try find yuh leader newspaper bibliography fi defen di disaster.......hussssssshhhhhhh!

Comment

So was Seaga...lol

Comment

What is the criteria Mr. Ashby used to determine what was a disaster..

Everybody has their benchmarks.. what were his ?

This will require you to think.. don't stress it if it becomes uncomfortable..

You have been presented with hard economic data.. you are still presenting Extreme Right-Wing commentary... philosophy that produced George Bush economic brilliance..

lol ! woiee !

Try and raise the level...

Comment

yuh nuh hear Jamaica is PNP country ?

Comment

Working...
                              X