I am Toasting I am Not Boasting..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am Toasting I am Not Boasting..

Could someone here tell me how Toasting(Now called called DJ) came about in Jamaican music.

It is just an extention of talking over the music by music selector(dj).
    It changed to poetry and ridding riddim.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

from the intro of king stitt and that era. introducing the song, then Uroy and others would filp the song to play the version and toast over it. That later went on to be full lyrics and so on.

Comment

Toasting....

Originally posted by TDowl View Post
        Could someone here tell me how Toasting(Now called called DJ) came about in Jamaican music.
        TDowl, I can’t reply in full right now. However, toasting in Jamaica started way back around the late 1950s or so, and Sir Coxsone Dodd’s sound system was right there.

Early toasting consisted of whatever nonsense ideas occurred to the deejay in Kingston while an American record (generally R&B) was being played on the turntable. Even in the 1970s, such nonsense chat could still be heard from giants like U-Roy, Scotty, and others.

A poster above mentioned the great King Stitt, but even before Stitt, there was Count Machuki, Coxsone Dodd’s primary deejay (toaster). Afterwards, there was King Sporty and King Stitt. In fact, King Stitt learned his craft from the great Count Machuki, as did U-Roy in a more indirect way.

U-Roy brought the roots of Count Machuki to an even greater mainstream level in his work on the Technique’s “You Don’t Care For Me,” a recording he did for his boss, King Tubby in the late 1960s. The biggest of the early hits by the toasters was U-Roy’s “Wake the Town,” which he recorded for his next boss, Duke Reid..

BTW, there is a reason why New York-based, Jamaican-born deejay Kool Herc is regarded with great reverence in any authentic study of rap and hip-hop’s history.

Comment

Isn't it interesting how Jamaica started out using imported R&B as a base for toasting which was then packaged and sent back to the US to influence the birth of the hip-hop genre.

Herc is generally referred to as the Father of Hip Hop these days and the Bronx location where he used to spin is seen as the birthplace of Hip Hop.

http://www.cincystreetdesign.com/1520_Sedgwick/
          "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Nice!...post, boss!
            "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

I so surprised how the Kingston man stay away from this post.

Historian, here is my personal experience, I started dancing to Bands in Lucea, before Sound System.

Back in the 50's in Kingston, as most every place, there was only one Turntable, so the Kingstonians in between changing records (78 rpm) would say in fast chatter "This time next week same place mr/ms who ever is having there session" or "Curry goat is hot and nice" or "check the bar".

Have you ever hear that guy on the megaphone at Silver & Black store?

Then it move on to where the guy is kissing up the mike "chikie chikie.

Then Count Machuki, King Stitt, King Sporty came over from the mento days if I am not mistaken.

Let me stop at the point where Hugh Roy had 7 tunes on the WWRL radio in NYC.

I hope some one can say I have it wrong..

I still cannot recall the Sound System that payed Christmas Eve night outside of Victoria Pier..

Comment

its ironic we are talking abut this here why below bricky is talking about kartel... ???? i think we have a lost generation.

Comment

I would want to hope that there is a reason for such reverence!!!!!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Working...
                  X