• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monthly arrest of black quotas?

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/news/...aribbean-youth

NY cop admits setting monthly quotas for arresting Caribbean youth

Wednesday, March 27, 2013 | 7:53 AM

</DIV>

NEW YORK (CMC) - A high-ranking New York Police Department (NYPD) officer has acknowledged setting monthly quotas for summonses, arrests and stop and frisks of Caribbean and other minority youths while heading a Brooklyn, New York police precinct.

“I set a standard that said do your job or suffer the consequences,” Deputy Chief Michael Marino admitted on the stand in Manhattan Federal District Court during a class-action lawsuit challenging the NYPD's controversial stop-and frisk tactics as racial profiling.

In 2006, a New York State arbitrator ruled that Marino's quotas in the 75th Police Precinct in the East New York section of Brooklyn violated state labour law and ordered them to end.

In the class-action lawsuit, Judge Shira Scheindlin has been asked to rule on the constitutionality of the practice and could order changes, if the NYPD fails to convince her that the stops were not illegal.

Marino testified when he arrived at the 75th Precinct in 2002, he discovered that each police officer was writing only five summonses a month.

He said that level of activity was so low that it was detrimental to the community.
    He said he, therefore, ordered the officers to write 10 summonses, make one arrest and conduct two “good” stop-and frisks each month.

“I did set numbers for them that would serve the community in a better manner,” Marino testified under questioning.

Marino is also one of the one of the defendants in a US$50 million lawsuit filed by police officer Adrian Schoolcraft.

Schoolcraft claims that Marino and other police officers took him to a psychiatric ward to discredit his claims of quotas in 2008 against Caribbean immigrants and other minorities.

In the meantime, another police officer had also caught a top Bronx police officer on tape telling him to specifically target “male blacks 14 to 21” for stop-and-frisk because they commit crimes.

“Stop the right people, the right time, the right location,” Deputy Inspector Christopher McCormack is heard saying on the recording played in court.

“He meant blacks and Hispanics,” said Officer Pedro Serrano, who made the secret recording, as he testified in Manhattan Federal District Court.

“So what am I supposed to do: Stop every black and Hispanic?” Serrano was heard saying on the tape, which was recorded last month at the 40th Police Precinct in the Bronx.

McCormack said to focus on the Mott Haven section, where the problem “was robberies and grand larcenies.

“I have no problem telling you this,” said the inspector on the tape. “Male blacks. And I told you at roll call, and I have no problem [to] tell you this, male blacks 14 to 21”.

The NYPD’s controversial stop-and-frisk tactics have been the subject of intense debate here, with many minorities and legislators, including Grenadian American Councilman Jumaane Williams, claiming that they unfair target Caribbean immigrants and other minorities.

Williams was unlawfully arrested two years ago during the West Indian American Day Carnival Parade on Brooklyn’s Eastern Parkway. Two police officers involved in the arrest were disciplined.

Read more: http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/news/...#ixzz2OkcE09Db
    Last edited by Karl; March 29, 2013, 10:25 PM.
    The same type of thinking that created a problem cannot be used to solve the problem.

Dis is news? Oh, confirmation of rumours!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Really sad as Caribbean nationals are subjected to double jeopardy,you get penalized(usually convicted) for what is alleged and then face deportation.
      What is mind-boggling is NYP was already reprimanded for racial profiling (if memory serves me right)which raises the question, what possible arguments could the judge be waiting to hear that would justify this instance....
      The stats on stop and frisk reveal that it has not achieved its objectives,it is fruitless,the end result is the clogging of Courts with trivial cases.
      We are mindful of police harassment hence we are weary of unnecessary contacts between the police and our youths.
      The quotas implemented by the superior officer are derived at without the benefit of real studies, the doubling of the figures is just a number he pulled out of thin air.Satisfying quotas requirement becomes pivotal to the street officers.It is an illegal tactic being implemented.

Comment

Mayor Bloomberg supports the violation of the 4th amendment rights of blacks & browns in NY. Yet unuh continue fi vote fi dis $#@.
        Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

There is a segment of caribbean youths in NYC who are just thugs.

They make it bad for the MAJORITY of the good black kids.

Ever gone to the Labor Day Parade on Eastern Pkwy......??

Of all the parades in NYC, the Caribbean Day in all it's splendor is the worst. This is where you will see that punk segment with their embarrassing display of lawlessness.

I will not (and cannot) condone racial profiling. It exists...but "we" are somewhat enzymatic in it's occurrence.
          Last edited by HL; March 29, 2013, 05:58 PM.
          The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

Working...
          X