• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Are Fewer Jamaicans Returning Home

Just got this e-mail from Jamlink...

http://jamlink.com/index.php?option=...ome&Itemid=191

Exhibit A
    Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

Originally posted by TDowl View Post
      Just got this e-mail from Jamlink...

http://jamlink.com/index.php?option=...ome&Itemid=191
      Some of the comments are uncalled for. Why would anybody make such a statement?

"There are two types of people left in Jamaica today - those who are unable to get a visa to leave and those who are staying to rob these poor captives on the island."
      "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Because they are stupid and probably have some self-confidence issues.
        "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

There isn't much wrong with the statement, except that there are more than the two types mentioned... it isn't incorrect to say that among the "types" of people in JA are those who could be characterised as the two named groups. Nuff people waan lef' an nuff people a rob, rape and loot.
          Peter R

Comment

Well put Sir!

Comment

regrettably, i've got to agree with your statement... lol... lazie really think the comment is uncalled for... as a patriot, i'm beginning to have second thoughts about returning to Jamaica permanently... and, that's a bitter conclusion i am slowly coming around to, despite my staunchest resistance... i think the 'white' man offered the most salient reasons why more jamaicans are reluctant to return...
              'to get what we've never had, we MUST do what we've never done'

Comment

Come now, the purpose of the statement is to say that there are ONLY two types of people there. To say that it is true except that there are others not mentioned is a bit of a cop out. That's like saying there are two types of black people, those who are dirt poor and those who wish they were not black. Is that true except there are other types as well?

It is the typical kind of statement non-resident Jamaicans make when they need some reason to feel better about their decision to live outside the island.
                Last edited by Islandman; March 26, 2013, 06:52 PM.
                "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Is that last statement "..to love outside..."? Or should it be "to live". Just asking.

Comment

Edited, thx.

Comment

Originally posted by Islandman View Post
                      Come now, the purpose of the statement is to say that there are ONLY two types of people there. To say that it is true except that there are others not mentioned is a bit of a cop out. That's like saying there are two types of black people, those who are dirt poor and those who wish they were not black. Is that true except there are other types as well?

It is the typical kind of statement non-resident Jamaicans make when they need some reason to feel better about their decision to live outside the island.
                      Well said my brother, there is nothing that hate more than a Jamaican that live overseas acting like they're some how superior to ones living on the rock. This is another reason why I hold the view that true Jamaicans live on the Island.

Comment

i think you are over-reacting to the statement... i saw it as a hyperbolic statement... obviously, there are many groups of people living in Jamaica and i am certain the writer knows that as well...
                        'to get what we've never had, we MUST do what we've never done'

Comment

My reaction is not so much with the technical accuracy of the statement as it is with the mindset that people who stay in JA cannot be doing it simply because that is where they want to live. Must be some other reason. As I said it is a typical JNLIJ attitude.

Comment

I am very happy I returned, very happy!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Not that your first statement was far-fetched....

Comment

Working...
                              X