The "What If" Champs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The "What If" Champs

So through 100+ years of very diligent effort Jamaica has managed to produce the finest high school athletics competition on the planet...and we are all justifiably proud & excited

That tremendous competitive spirit among high schools has also created some of the world's greatest ever athletes... and we're all proud & excited

So led by Kingston College's pioneering efforts and professional approach to track in the 1960s....over the past 40+ years of single-minded effort Jamaican high schools have made the Penn Relays...the greatest Relay Carnival in the world and largest track meet in the USA...our own personal toy....and we're all proud & excited

Clearly the intense rivalry between Jamaican high schools is very capable of producing world level results...... So what if...

Can we try to get kids (and adults!!) equally excited about science & technology as they are about track?

Can we create an exciting, high school competition based on STEM subjects??

Can we support & send droves of STEM teams to international competition... and eventually make a mark as we do at Penn??

If the same diligent effort, resources and almost irrational enthusiasm shown in track is transferred to nurturing STEM competition & competence...can we over time achieve world class results?? Produce world class potential STEM focused students?? Could we thereby get closer to being like South Korea and..gasp!...Singapore...than Haiti??

Would that be a good reason for endless cheering, gloating, beating of chests...and writing endlessly prolific posts on internet fora as we do for track and football

If ongly we could see the light ...

The thought paradigm needs to shift if Jamaica is serious about development

Oh yes Karl...it's not an either or/zero sum game...we can do both
    TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

The question is do we really want to be more like South Korea.

Imagine telling some of those aging old boys at the stadium who don't even send their sons and daughters to the schools they demand athletic excellence from that maybe the focus of high school co-curricular programs is a bit lopsided.

Cbar spent US 80K on Champs in 2012 while rats shut down the school. I wonder what the budget for the top 3 Champs teams was this year.
    "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Originally posted by Islandman View Post
      The question is do we really want to be more like South Korea.

Imagine telling some of those aging old boys at the stadium who don't even send their sons and daughters to the schools they demand athletic excellence from that maybe the focus of high school co-curricular programs is a bit lopsided.
      LOL...yuh rite

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

Comment

[ those old boys at the stadium who don't even send their sons and daughters to the schools they demand athletic excellence from]

yuh nuh know weh yuh talk bout

Comment

what is untrue in the post?

Comment

hehe...I am just repeating what ME said to me...when I posthe same thing, a while back

Comment

i see

Comment

BTW Kimroy won the PM Youth Award yesterday
                "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

yep mi juss si dat an big im up pon FB

Comment

Me and him a work pon a science summer camp up inna de Cockpit...me haffe go email you fe bring you up to date with everything

Comment

Science inna di Cockpit?? noice!!

Yam stick tuh di Whirl!

Comment

Lol. Fe real. It is going to have an environment and energy theme.

Should have a draft to send out by month-end. I am hoping to use it as a pilot for the Science Day concept for primary schools.

Comment

super

Comment

Tenk yuh, sah!
                            Yes, we can!!! Yes, we can!
                            FORWARD!
                            "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Originally posted by Islandman View Post
                              Lol. Fe real. It is going to have an environment and energy theme.

Should have a draft to send out by month-end. I am hoping to use it as a pilot for the Science Day concept for primary schools.
                              Yuh currently a lecture a Mico Summer Seminars? ...cyan set yup hup deh, yuh kno!!!
                              "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Working...
                              X