Nigerian author Chinua Achebe dies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nigerian author Chinua Achebe dies

What an outstanding legacy.Rest in peace.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-21898664
    "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

This sounds way too familiar:

He twice refused the Nigerian honor Commander of the Federal Republic stating:

"I have watched particularly the chaos in my own state of Anambra where a small clique of renegades, openly boasting its connections in high places, seems determined to turn my homeland into a bankrupt and lawless fiefdom. I am appalled by the brazenness of this clique and the silence, if not connivance, of the Presidency."

Read more: http://www.upi.com/blog/2013/03/22/T...#ixzz2OHLYfNCa
    "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

RIP sir, you made your voice hard and your contribution felt.
      Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
      - Langston Hughes

Comment

Another great one passes on. Interesting that he died after writing his first book in 42 years " There Once Was A Country". A bookoutlining his opinions on the Biafra war. RIP great sir.

Comment

A Great Man

The world has lost a true literary giant. Chinua Achebe, along with his fellow Nigerian Wole Soyinka (they are both around the same age, I think), are without question my favorite West African authors.

Professor Achebe’s “Things Fall Apart” in particular, a novel which has as its primary theme the conflicts and repercussions arising from the meeting of European and African cultures, is an outstanding work. In addition, some of us may recall that Achebe visited Jamaica around five or six years ago and (if my memory is correct here) spoke at a cultural event at Emancipation Park.

RIP great man.

Comment

Working...
          X