• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spinners singer Bobbie Smith dies at 76

Spinners singer Bobbie Smith dies at 76

Bobbie Smith (centre) was in the band since high school
    Continue reading the main story Related Stories

Bobbie Smith, the original lead singer of soul group The Spinners, has died at the age of 76 in Orlando, Florida.
    The group's management said in a statement on Monday that Smith died on Saturday due to complications from pneumonia and influenza.
    The statement added that Smith had been diagnosed with lung cancer in November.
    Smith was the voice behind the band's first hit, That's What Girls Are Made For. The band was also known as the Detroit Spinners.
    Their biggest hits came in the 1970s, including I'll Be Around, Could It Be I'm Falling in Love and Games People Play.
    They all featured the voice of Smith, although fellow lead singer Philippe Wynne had by then also joined the band.
    The quintet began in 1955 as a high school doo-wop group called the Domingoes and they were signed by Harvey Fuqua to Detroit record company Tri-Phi Records.
    Berry Gordy's Motown label took over Tri-Phi in 1965, but the group struggled to make a big impact on the charts.
    It was not until 1972, when tenor Wynne came on board and the group signed to Atlantic, that the hits began coming.
    Wynne left the group in 1977 and new lead vocalist John Edwards came on board but the band's producer Thom Bell left shortly afterwards.
    The band has continued in various guises since then, the most recent version consisting of Smith and fellow original member Henry Fambrough, along with newer members Charleton Washington, Jessie Peck and Marvin Taylor.
    In a US newspaper interview last year, Smith said of continuing to tour: "I look at this like semi-retired. I would miss my fans. As long as I feel good and feel like I can do it, I'm going to keep on. I would be afraid to quit."
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

I rank them in my top 5 favorite band (of all time).

I think I had all of their recordings on vinyl...back in the days.
    The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

so many classics. I think my favourite is "working my way back to you" While this is not one fo the first classic, I just love it and I remember Errol Thompson and Winston Williams spinning it back in the saying "Spinners amongst the winners"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TY_AlrfB3U0
      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Re: "So Many Classics"

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
        so many classics. I think my favourite is "working my way back to you" While this is not one fo the first classic, I just love it and I remember Errol Thompson and Winston Williams spinning it back in the saying "Spinners amongst the winners"
        By the way, ‘Sass, although Philippe Wynne provided the distinctive lead vocal on some of the Spinners’ most memorable hits, the song “Working My Way Back To You” came about shortly after Wynne left.

The lead singer on “Working My Way Back To You” and also “Cupid/ I’ve Loved You For a Long Time” was John Edwards, who in my opinion is, without question, the most outstanding lead singer that the Spinners has had in its long history.

I rank Edwards at almost the same level as the Platters’ lead singer, Tony Williams. Trust me, boss, when I rank you at the level of Tony Williams, that means I have a very high opinon of you (lol).

However, the Spinners are definitely NOT among my “Top 10 Favorite Singing Groups.”

Comment

Wynne was my favorite lead Historian.

And I share assasin's memory of Errol Thompson playing the spinners. ET made "mighty Love" into an anthem during those days.

HL

Comment

No Problem

Originally posted by HL View Post
            Wynne was my favorite lead Historian.

And I share assasin's memory of Errol Thompson playing the spinners. ET made "mighty Love" into an anthem during those days.
            HL, boss, I understand and certainly respect your viewpoint. A lot of Spinners fans (probably the majority) will share your opinion of Philippe Wynne as a lead singer. In addition, Wynne was the lead singer on their biggest hits.

There is absolutely no disrespect on my part for Wynne, although I’ve been MORE impressed by the vocal qualities of other lead singers of R&B groups, like Teddy Pendergrass (Harold Melvin & the Blues Notes), Russell Thompkins, Jr. (the Stylistics), Eugene Record (the Chilites), Marvin Junior and Johnny Carter (the Dells), and others.

Whenever you get an opportunity, listen to “Working My Way Back To You” or “Cupid” (Spinners’ hits led by John Edwards) and then compare Edwards’ immensely impressive, soaring voice on those songs with the recordings lead by Philipe Wynne. Among other things, Edwards had a greater vocal range than many of his contemporaries (the same way that Mariah Carey has over many other female singers).

Like I alluded to above, it will take vocal capabilities of the likes of a Tony Williams (the Platters) to outdo Edwards.

The unfortunate thing for John Edwards is that he joined the Spinners AFTER their heyday. Consumer tastes were starting to change, among other factors, and so the highly successful Philip Wynne years were never repeated in the 1980s.

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Em_6THb7OdE

HL

Comment

Beautiful Song!

Beautiful Song!

This particular recording, “Love Don’t Love Nobody,” is one that I have loved for many years! In addition, I’ve played it live on stage in the past. It is a recording that I will always love because of its lyrics, its vocal performance and its overall arrangement (including the strings and the chord movement)!

HL, beauty of the songwriter’s product aside, let’s take a few seconds and COMPARE Philip Wynne’s vocal quality with that of John Edwards. This has been my sole focus in this thread.

After you have listened to the really beautiful song, “Love Don’t Love Nobody,” check out this YouTube video I’m posting. It is John Edwards leading the Spinners on “Working My Way Back To You”:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YSbGXNXfVg

Now, which of the two gentlemen – Wynne or Edwards – do you consider to be the most gifted singer? Forget the song.... listen to the voice quality.

Comment

Wynne would be my pick especially for the vocals on "ghetto child"

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

You know Historian the transition in lead singers for the Spinners have been seamless in my opinion.

The change maintained the overall integrity and sound of the group. It is sometimes "difficult" to tell Edwards from Wynne.

I mentioned that the Spinners is in my top 5 group of all time.

I feel I have "sinned" by choosing one lead singer over the other. I hope they both forgive me for what i have done.

HL

Comment

...another excellent choice!!!

HL

Comment

Stap di spinning!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

I agree with you, Historian. Edwards had the superior voice. However, Wynne's was not bad and had it's own quality. Sounded a bit like Eddie Kendricks, and that can't be too bad.

Check him out here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsWFzaQqpnw

However, my all-time favourite Spinners chune is Games People Play. It covered the range of notes from the bass of Pervis Jackson to the whatever of Henry Fambrough. I always thought they had a guest singer, a female, on that chune! But no, it was Henry!

"12:45" will forever be one of my favourite lyric from any song!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7oZJkH8zgc

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

That would probably be my favorite as well.

I like Rubberband Man too. Not a typical Spinners tune but I like the uptempo beat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7C4B38etY4k
                            "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Thank You!

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
                              I agree with you, Historian. Edwards had the superior voice. However, Wynne's was not bad and had it's own quality. Sounded a bit like Eddie Kendricks, and that can't be too bad.
                              Thank you, Mosiah. And I definitely agree with all the points you mentioned in your post, including the video (link) you posted.

I’m surprised that the other posters in this thread have not realized that John Edwards has a greater vocal range (easily covering several octaves) and overall a superior voice to that of the late Philippe Wynne!

At no point did I suggest that Wynne cannot sing, because he definitely can, and his interpretations of the songs he lead are thoroughly enjoyable and memorable. The excellent YouTube videos posted in this thread by Mo and HL and Gamma are a testimony to this. However, Edwards can do more things with his voice, including soaring several octaves above Wynne’s limitations.

A comparison of the importance of both men to the group will definitely find that Wynne is the person that we will inevitably select as being by far the more important. His lead vocal contribution to the group during the 1970s is priceless. Edwards, on the other hand, joined the group after its heyday (by then even the great producer Thom Bell was no longer working with them), and so historically he is nowhere as important as Wynne.

Comment

Working...
                              X