Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MPs quarrel over planned divestment of Goodyear plant

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>
    <SPAN class=Subheadline></SPAN></TD></TR><TR><TD>BALFORD HENRY, Observer writer
    Thursday, April 05, 2007
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=5 width=145 align=left border=0><TBODY><TR><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD><SPAN class=Description>PAULWELL. government will take a decision on the sale based on valuation received</SPAN></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><P class=StoryText align=justify>THE first day's sitting of the Standing Finance Committee of the House of Representatives almost ended in chaos early yesterday morning, during an angry exchange between government and opposition members over the proposed divestment of the old Goodyear factory in Springfield, St Thomas.<P class=StoryText align=justify>Opposition MP Karl Samuda warned Minister of Industry, Technology, Energy and Commerce Phillip Paulwell, who was in the hot seat then, that if he had any intention of "selling that valuable piece of real estate to a person engaged in fund-raising for the People's National Party, fahget it".<P class=StoryText align=justify>Samuda said that the Opposition would not allow "Jamaican soil to be sold to friends of this government, anymore".

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=5 width=137 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD><SPAN class=Description>SAMUDA. opposition will not allow Jamaican soil to be sold to friends of government</SPAN></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><P class=StoryText align=justify>Said Samuda: "I am warning you that the MP for the constituency (James Robertson, West St Thomas) and his team will ensure that the interest of the Jamaican people is protected."<P class=StoryText align=justify>The exchange was triggered by Paulwell's announcement that Cabinet was studying a proposal for the sale of the 23-acre property to a sole bidder later identified by the Opposition as Gary Foster.<P class=StoryText align=justify>Robertson claimed that the process was not transparent and was an attempt to sell off the property to Foster, a co-founder of Upliftment Jamaica.<P class=StoryText align=justify>Robertson chastised the minister for failing to discuss the sale with representatives of the people of Thomas, including himself, the custos and the mayor, before deciding on Foster and his group as the sole bidders.<P class=StoryText align=justify>But Paulwell countered that the government had been trying to sell the property to private interest for several years without any interest being shown.<P class=StoryText align=justify>He said that his ministry had sold land right across Jamaica before using the same process as is being used for the disposal of the Goodyear facility without any fuss.<P class=StoryText align=justify>When Robertson continued to criticise the process, the minister asked him: "do you have a proposal"?
    Government MP Sharon Hay-Webster, who intervened, accused the Opposition of abusing the minister in front of the committee.<P class=StoryText align=justify>Opposition MP Pearnel Charles asked whether there was a plan for the development of the facility from the bidders. Paulwell said that it was one of the conditions and that process has been completed and the matter was now before the Cabinet.<P class=StoryText align=justify>The minister could not say how much government had pumped into the facility since it was closed by Goodyear in 1997. However, he admitted that it was at least $143 million, including $43 million for its purchase and over $100 million spent on upgrading it into an information technology call centre. Cable &amp; Wireless also donated some $90 million to the u
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

RE: MPs quarrel over planned divestment of Goodyear plant

Lazie (4/5/2007)<P class=StoryText align=justify>Opposition MP Karl Samuda warned Minister of Industry, Technology, Energy and Commerce Phillip Paulwell, who was in the hot seat then, that if he had any intention of "selling that valuable piece of real estate to a person engaged in fund-raising for the People's National Party, fahget it".<P class=StoryText align=justify>Samuda said that the Opposition would not allow "Jamaican soil to be sold to friends of this government, anymore".

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=5 width=137 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><P class=StoryText align=justify>Said Samuda: "I am warning you that the MP for the constituency (James Robertson, West St Thomas) and his team will ensure that the interest of the Jamaican people is protected."<P class=StoryText align=justify>Robertson claimed that the process was not transparent and was an attempt to sell off the property to Foster, a co-founder of Upliftment Jamaica.<P class=StoryText align=justify>Robertson chastised the minister for failing to discuss the sale with representatives of the people of Thomas, including himself, the custos and the mayor, before deciding on Foster and his group as the sole bidders.<P class=StoryText align=justify>But Paulwell countered that the government had been trying to sell the property to private interest for several years without any interest being shown.<P class=StoryText align=justify>
    <P class=StoryText align=justify>It's this kind of petty hogwash that people are sick and tired of, Lazie. What does Samuda mean by, "the Opposition would not allow "Jamaican soil to be sold to friends of this government, anymore"."<P class=StoryText align=justify>So, when a tender is put out, do the bidders have to state whether or not they are friends of the government. Samuda lick him head!?<P class=StoryText align=justify>And can somebody point to me the law that states that the opposition, the MP, the custos and the people of a parish need to be advised of a purchase before it is approved by the govt.? In fact, Robertson wants a "discussion" about such sales! Him crazy, or him just mad?!?!<P class=StoryText align=justify>Robertson and Samuda need to find out first about the bid process - the terms of the bid, the days said bid was advertised, etc. - and stop trying to raise an ants nest where there probably isn't any. But these two have long had to cater to a populace that is only interested in hearsay and bangarang. It's time for them to lift up their people and move them into the 21 century. I challenge them to do that!<P class=StoryText align=justify>Maybe they both can learn a thing or two from Gary Foster and Upliftment Jamaica.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Petty hogwash? Did you see the latest from the Contractor General? I notice from yuh post yuh quickly choose a side, instead of waiting for this thing to 'pan' out. How many times the opposition is accused of rabble rousing or petty hogwash, only to be proven they were making sense down the road?

Thats part of the problem, people always assume the gov't is right first.They maybe wrongon this, but damn ...S h i t will never change.
      "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

<DIV>Lazie, I'm going off what was reported in the paper. If there is more info then I'll revise my views based on that add'l info. Simple!</DIV><DIV></DIV><DIV>Again, when since does all and sundry discuss the merits and demerits of a public tender? Nuh dat Robertson a say? If it comes out that he either didn't say that or was miquoted, then I'll comment on that.</DIV><DIV></DIV><DIV>Do you know that facts, all the facts, on Trafigura? That didn't stop you from forming an opinion, did it?</DIV>

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

one thing i know and that is Paulwell maybe the biggest giveaway minister in the history of Ja so questions should be asked of him. Idon't know how he still have a portfolio or maybe I do know.
          • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

After Trafiguria, your reaction is to assume the JLP is wrong? After all the mess Paulwell caused, yuh still assume the JLP is wrong? Yuh figet, when Trafiguria buss, the evidence was presented, therefore there was enough to form an opinion.

Comment

Sorry Sass, him shirt nuh green, suh him will always get the benefit of the doubt. Strange...

Comment

Working...
              X