Iran 'to release British sailors'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iran 'to release British sailors'

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=629 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD colSpan=3><DIV class=mxb><DIV class=sh>Iran 'to release British sailors' </DIV></DIV></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width=416><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=203 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD><DIV> <DIV class=cap>Mahmoud Ahmadinejad awarded medals to Iranian commanders</DIV></DIV></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad says 15 British naval personnel captured in the Gulf will be freed.

He repeated allegations that the British sailors and marines "invaded" Iranian waters, but said they would be freed as a "gift" to Britain.

He made the announcement at a news conference, in which he also awarded medals to the commanders who captured the British personnel in the Gulf.

He said the Britons would be released immediately and taken to an airport.

"They are free after this meeting and can go back to their families," Mr Ahmadinejad said.

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=208 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=5></TD><TD class=sibtbg><DIV><DIV class=mva> The British government was not even brave enough to tell their people the truth <BR clear=all></DIV></DIV><DIV class=mva><DIV>Mahmoud Ahmadinejad </DIV></DIV></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

"I'm asking Mr Blair to not put these 15 personnel on trial because they admitted they came to Iranian territorial water," he said, referring to taped "confessions" made by the British sailors and marines.

"I ask Mr Blair: Instead of occupying the other countries, I ask Mr Blair to think about the justice, to think about the truth and work for the British people not for himself."

Britain says the 15 were in Iraqi waters under a UN mandate when they were captured nearly two weeks ago. It says the confessions were extracted under duress.

"Unfortunately the British government was not even brave enough to tell their people the truth, that it made a mistake," Mr Ahmadinejad said.

"We have every right to put these people on trial," he asserted.

"But I want to give them as a present to the British people to say they are all free."

A spokesman for Prime Minister Tony Blair said: "We welcome what the president has said about the release of our 15 personnel. We are now establishing exactly what this means in terms of the method and timing of their release." </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

RE: Iran 'to release British sailors'

Game Theory 101.....I believe Iran has played this one very well. - T.K.
    No need to thank me forumites.

Comment

The reason they took them in the first place was because the Americans tried to kidnap the head of Iran's CIA/MI6 when he was on an official visit in Iraq to meet with the president. They botched it of course and Iran waited for an opportunity to get back at the coalition.

Comment

<DIV>What I want to know is - if the British sailors were in Iraqi waters, then what were the Iranians doing in Iraqi waters? Why didn't the British arrest the Iranians? Or att he very least, why didn't the Iraqi govt. (sic) protest the Iranians trespassing into their territory?</DIV><DIV></DIV><DIV>I think the British were in Iranian waters.</DIV>

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Mosiah (4/4/2007)<DIV>What I want to know is - if the British sailors were in Iraqi waters, then what were the Iranians doing in Iraqi waters? Why didn't the British arrest the Iranians? Or att he very least, why didn't the Iraqi govt. (sic) protest the Iranians trespassing into their territory?</DIV><DIV></DIV><DIV>I think the British were in Iranian waters.</DIV>
          My theory is that they are trying to goad Iran into a waron behalf ofthe US. More specifically trying to give Bush and his neo con bretheren an excuse to finally invade Iran and ultimately take over their oil. Bush has tried the "Iran is providing weapons for the insurgents" ploy and even though it is true it is not resonating with the American people. I believe they were hoping that Iran would over play their hand on this one and give them the green light to attack.

What has ended up happening though is that Iran ended up managing the situation very well. They kept the British sailors just long enough to start a debate in the US about the Bush administration's (minusCondi and Gates)desire to go to war with Iraq and Iran even before 9/11. So now with every station (minus Fox news of course) discussing this and debating whether Bush wants to go to war with Iran due to a real threat or if this is another Iraq snow job it has brought attention to the possibility of another war being started to the average american. With Bush's approval rating at 39% and over 60% of the American people against the Iraq war the real conservatives are rebelling and not supporting action against Iran. Especially those up for re-election in 1998.

As I said before I think Iran played this one well. They themselves can't stop the US from attacking but the US people and a democratic congress can so why not get them to debate the issue.As well it was an excellent move topardon the British sailors even though if I was to guess they were probably in Iranian waters. Now Bush's boys have nopolitical talking points to use in their case for war.- T.K.
          No need to thank me forumites.

Comment

Lazie and Tony Blair have egg on their face this morning.

Britain is always right.
            • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Egg on face how? Dem release the soldier dem ... so how is that egg on face?
              "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Working...
              X