Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warner: CWC, a con job

<DIV class=texte>

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD><DIV class=bigheadline>Warner: CWC, a con job
    </DIV><DIV class=dateline>Wednesday, April 4th 2007</DIV>
    </TD></TR><TR><TD></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=5></TD><TD><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=middle></TD></TR><TR><TD class=caption>ON THE ATTACK: Jack Warner</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Following his recent re-election, unopposed, as CONCACAF president for another four-year term, Jack Warner says he intends to keep that position for as long as he is wanted there by members in the region.

Warner was speaking after leading a successful 30th annual congress of the Caribbean Football Union (CFU), in Curacao last week. He addressed a number of issues including his intention to develop several aspects of the game in the region.

"I intend to stay as long as the people want me but more importantly I also know my body and it tells me a term or two again will be enough," the CFU president told CFU Media. "There are things I have to do and I'm almost there. I have to put women's football on a high plateau, I have to get youth football where it should be, I have to make indoor football a reality and I have to put football administration in better hands. Once I do this in two or four or six years, then I will be gone because the legacy would have been left," Warner said. He also expressed dismay over the staging of the current Cricket World Cup.

"The biggest con job ever passed off on a region is this Cricket World Cup and it is one of immense proportion not just by the organisation but by the governments as well that have taken limited resources of their people's money and put it in a dying sport. If there is anything that this World Cup has done well is it has shown people what not to do in the future.

"Imagine in Antigua for a public holiday a brand new stadium is half-filled. This has been a World Cup for the organisers, the visitors and the players but certainly not for the people. That's why the stadiums are empty and that in itself is a con job." </DIV><DIV class=texte>

On the issue of governments saying that the newly constructed and refurbished venues be used solely for cricket after the tournament, Warner also had an opinion.

"It's foolish! The governments don't even understand that no public facilities of this magnitude can be for cricket only and survive. When Barbados plays Jamaica in a cricket game, you can hardly get a good crowd but put the same countries in a World Cup qualifier or even a friendly and you shall see the turn out. Football has to rescue these facilities. It is the most popular </DIV>

RE: Warner: CWC, a con job

Keep it real yes Jack. He has knocked the idiocy taking place from before this thing started. Another one that was vocal is Pat Rosseau ( a suh it spell?)
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Naminirt (4/4/2007)<DIV class=texte>

"The biggest con job ever passed off on a region is this Cricket World Cup and it is one of immense proportion not just by the organisation but by the governments as well that have taken limited resources of their people's money and put it in a dying sport. If there is anything that this World Cup has done well is it has shown people what not to do in the future.

"Imagine in Antigua for a public holiday a brand new stadium is half-filled. This has been a World Cup for the organisers, the visitors and the players but certainly not for the people. That's why the stadiums are empty and that in itself is a con job." </DIV><DIV class=texte>

On the issue of governments saying that the newly constructed and refurbished venues be used solely for cricket after the tournament, Warner also had an opinion.

"It's foolish! The governments don't even understand that no public facilities of this magnitude can be for cricket only and survive. When Barbados plays Jamaica in a cricket game, you can hardly get a good crowd but put the same countries in a World Cup qualifier or even a friendly and you shall see the turn out. Football has to rescue these facilities. It is the most popular </DIV><DIV>
      </DIV><DIV></DIV><DIV>No, he di'int! :w00t:</DIV><DIV></DIV><DIV>I have long thought that cricket was indeed a dying sport. Like baseball. I believe both are artificially being propped up by sponsors. Cricket is a pensioners sport. Only retirees have the time to watch an all-day or an all-week event.Sorry, Exile and other fans of the sport but...I kinda have to agree with Jack here.</DIV><DIV></DIV><DIV>Recently, TVJ had a guest on its morning show who had written a book on how to improve the sport and make it more exciting. The poor fellow was not-so-jokingly abused by Simon Crosskill who is one of those people whoare a bit stuck in the past with this cricket thing. The thing needs a breath of fresh air and fresh ideas or it will indeed die. Thank God for Kerry Packer and Stanford for trying to do just that.</DIV><DIV></DIV><DIV>I know the Jamaican govt. was not that stupid to suggest that the Trelawny stadium should be used solely for cricket. That could never happen. It would bepity of other regional govts. did say that about their new grounds.</DIV><DIV></DIV><DIV>Football and other sports (and entertainment packages)will need to step up and come to the rescue of these grounds. No use trying to deny it - they can call cricket the national sport all they want, it is just not as popular as football, and won't be for a long time to never come! </DIV><DIV></DIV><DIV>Would have been great to get Courtney's opinion on this. sigh. aaaahh bwooyyy!</DIV>

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

What we need to do is change a SIX to a HOME RUN, have the outfielders chew on tobacco, have the players take human growth hormones and wear tight pants. Yuh come in like a real Yankee bout mek it more exciting. It's where yuh come from?

Comment

<DIV>Change your medication, or your glasses! Didn't I say that baseball was also dying? Then why would I want cricket to look like baseball if it were to rescue itself?</DIV><DIV></DIV><DIV>DUH!</DIV><DIV></DIV><DIV>You can stay deh. If limited overs cricket didn't come into existence, that sport would have been buried a long time ago!</DIV>

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Hahahahahahahaha.

King Con exposing the other fraudsters.

I love it.

Serves them right not to give him a cut of their graft!

This CWC thing is a whopping samfie.

Comment

Working...
            X