JLP councillor quits, heading for PNP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JLP councillor quits, heading for PNP

JLP councillor quits, heading for PNP - Chides party leadership over 'NDMisation'
    published: Tuesday | April 3, 2007
    <DIV class=KonaBody rDszF="true">

KINGSTON, Jamaica (CMC):

Bruce Rattray, an outspoken Local Government councillor, has walked out of the Opposition <SPAN class=kLink style="FONT-WEIGHT: 700; COLOR: orange! important; BORDER-BOTTOM: orange 1px solid; FONT-FAMILY: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; POSITION: relative; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent">Jamaica</SPAN> Labour Party (JLP), rebuking its leadership for what he said was an attempt to force out "true Labourites".

Rattray, who resigned from the party on Saturday, said he would now be throwing his support behind the governing People's National Party (PNP), which is on a quest for five straight terms in government.

The councillor for the Papine division lamented that former members of the National Democratic Movement (NDM) have been allowed to join the JLP, leading to existing members being sidelined.

'Hold must broken'

"Since the ascension to leadership by Bruce Golding, there has been an 'NDMisation' of the JLP. This I regard as a continuation of the attempt by those who promoted the creation of the NDM to come to power through a captured JLP.

"I am convinced that in order to maintain a two-party democracy, free from the control of such persons, every effort must be made to ensure that the hold that these persons have over the JLP and its present <SPAN class=kLink style="FONT-WEIGHT: 400; COLOR: orange! important; FONT-FAMILY: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; POSITION: relative">leadership</SPAN> be broken."

Golding, however, responded to Rattray's claims on the weekend, while addressing party candidates at the Jamaica Conference Centre by questioning Rattray's performance as councillor caretaker and his political history.

Golding said "Rattray was not himself a true Labourite." He also said that former NDM members who have crossed the <SPAN class=kLink style="FONT-WEIGHT: 400; COLOR: orange! important; BORDER-BOTTOM: orange 1px solid; FONT-FAMILY: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; POSITION: relative; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent">floor</SPAN> had made a positive impact within the JLP.

Making strides

He listed members such as Greg Muir, Daryl Vaz and Russell Hammond, who, he claimed, were making significant strides in their respective consti
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

RE: JLP councillor quits, heading for PNP

Suh .. its okay for former JLP and NDM to join the PNP, but former NDM members are not allowed in the JLP? How the fock these people get elected?
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

when mi did mek mi analysis and prediction

yuh laugh. quote: sight s of the eyes, vision is of the mind :P

Comment

Lazie what does this tell you ? The man left the JLP (like many others) and now will go straight to the PNP (like many others) without blinking an eye.

This shows that there is something radically wrong with the Labour party ? is not even like them leaving and supporting no one showing that the PNP is as bad but they are just straight up switching.

There is something very wrong with that party and you and them are in denial.

Like I said many times until the JLP show the public why people must vote for them they will not win.

And stop saying the people stupid becuase we are only as smart os our options.

Mawning to you too Lazie

Comment

Mawning to you too bredren!

The man said he has a problem with former NDMers joining the JLP. What is wrong with the JLP accepting former NDMers? Isn't the JLP for all Jamaicans? How come he, a former JLP is joining the PNP?

If people still wondering if its time for a change then ... we corner dark. We have become the medicants of the Caribbean that more countries are requiring us to have visas to go to their countries. If you people start paying attention to the proposals and the statistics you'd be singing a different tune. I guess people will just continue to blame T&amp;T for our problems.

Comment

Scaly at the same time unnu a say unnu need new people inna politics and fi get out the old one them. How you a go force them out if them nuh upset and go?

We need young people by any means necessary. Get rid of the dead wood them. The PNP better watch some a the traitor them as they come inna that party. Remember Karl Samuda?
            • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

You sound like a Party man.

I will take a 'volatile' Party and a Strong Government any day over a Strong Party and weak Govt.

Each to his own.

What the PNP need is some serious house cleaning and more independent thinkers.

I hope I did not lose you along the way..

Comment

Working...
              X