X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reganomics is dead

Michael Tomasky on How Mitt Romney Finally Killed Reaganomics
    by Michael Tomasky Nov 13, 2012 4:45 AM EST
    Post-election chatter has focused on demographics, Latinos, and the culture war. But the most significant consequence of the election may be the death of trickle-down economics.

inShare
    (859)
    Here’s something that happened in this election that has been largely overlooked but I think is a very big deal indeed. Trickle-down economics died last Tuesday. The post-election chatter has been dominated by demographics, Latinos, women, and the culture war. But economics played a strong and even pivotal role in this election too, and Reaganomics came out a huge loser, while the Democrats have started to wrap their arms around a simple, winning alternative: the idea that government must invest in the middle class and not the rich. It’s middle-out economics instead of trickle-down, and it won last week and will keep on winning.

Republican presidential candidate and former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney takes the stage to concede his quest for President of the United State at his election night event at the Boston Convention Center in Boston, Wednesday, Nov. 7, 2012. (Stephan Savoia / AP Photo)

You know the history. Arthur Laffer sketched out his famous curve—whether on a napkin or not is apparently still debated—back in 1974, when the top marginal rate was 90 percent. There is a certain point, Laffer explained, at which rates decrease revenue. Since many of the people to whom he was doing this explaining found themselves to be in or near the top bracket, quite naturally they liked his theory a lot.

Up sprang the nonprofits devoted to getting the little people to buy in to the idea that taxes on the wealthy should be lowered, and soon enough supply-side economics was born. Along came Ronald Reagan to assure everyone that the rising tide would lift all boats. It’s never happened quite the way conservatives said it would. Even during the general prosperity of the second Reagan term, income inequality began to expand dramatically, wage stagnation became a permanent feature of American life, and the immiseration of the poor worsened.

So supply side’s first shot at governance was at best half a success. Then came the second go-round under George W. Bush, and this of course was an unmitigated disaster. You know the details on that. But as catastrophic as the Bush era was, the fear has always existed that people would vote to go back to that. After all, it’s pretty hard to turn down a 20-percent tax cut, right?

Actually, it turned out that most voters were able to turn it down. Mitt Romney was offering people a bigger cut than even Bush had. It was the centerpiece of his campaign, as it had been of Bush’s, and it was the central policy issue of this campaign in a way that Bush’s tax proposal wasn’t in 2000. In other words, if there was a single policy issue on which people voted this time, it was tax policy—whether everyone should get a massive cut (Romney), or whether the middle class should be held harmless and the wealthy should pay more (Barack Obama). It’s impossible to imagine a way in which the choice could have been clearer. And it’s hard to imagine the voters’ response being much clearer, either.

Supply side was rejected. And in its place, voters went for an economic vision that says: don’t invest in the wealthy in the hope that they’ll decide to spread the wealth around; invest in the middle class, because it’s demand from a prosperous middle class that ultimately creates more jobs, and because doing that makes for a healthier society all the way around. Obama embraced this message late last year in his speech in Kansas, and even though I wouldn’t say he pressed it consistently for a whole year, he certainly emphasized it in the second debate and spoke regularly about it toward the end. “I believe you grow the economy from the middle out,” he said in a key October ad.

A promise of a 20-percent tax cut once would have settled things in Romney’s favor. But all it accomplished this time was to raise the question of how he was going to pay for it.
    He did not originate the phrase. Writing in The New York Times in July, Nick Hanauer and Eric Liu, authors of The Gardens of Democracy, wrote: “Lasting growth doesn’t trickle down; it emerges from the middle out.”

A whole cohort of progressive economists and activists has been at work on middle-class economics since 2009. Robert Reich has been there, as have Hanauer and Liu and the Center for American Progress, especially Heather Boushey and David Madland. I’m proud to add that the journal I edit, Democracy, has been in on this crusade too. Hanauer and Liu are advisers to the journal, and in our Spring 2011 issue Madland wrote the first long piece to appear on middle-class economics.

Well, it takes a village, as they say. But middle-out economics is still in formation. It will be up to Obama, those named above, and others to provide more definition over the course of a second term. But even if that isn’t yet fully clear, this is: trickle-down economics is over. There was a time when a promise of a 20-percent tax cut would have ended the whole conversation in Romney’s favor. But all it accomplished this time was to raise questions—legitimate and never answered—about how he was going to pay for it. Romney had nothing to say to the middle class beyond cutting taxes and watching the magic happen. But voters have stopped believing in that magic.

Some conservatives understand this. But it’s literally three or four people right now—Ramesh Ponnuru, Ross Douthat, Reihan Salam, and maybe one or two others. The rest of the Republican Party is still in fantasy land. You may have seen a few days before the election that Mitch McConnell killed a Congressional Research Service report on taxes. Its offense? To assert that lowering top tax rates doesn’t necessarily produce more revenue and growth.

That’s Republican theology. Some time will be needed before any reformation is accepted. But as far as the voters are concerned, that god is dead.

Like The Daily Beast on Facebook and follow us on Twitter for updates all day long.

Newsweek/Daily Beast special correspondent Michael Tomasky is also editor of Democracy: A Journal of Ideas. Follow Michael Tomasky on Twitter at @mtomasky.
    For inquiries, please contact The Daily Beast at editorial@thedailybeast.com.

TAGS:
    THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

I would argue that Reaganomics died a natural death, outlived its usefulness, rather than being killed by Romney, Grover Norquist or any one person.

The Laffer curve made a lot of sense when marginal tax rates were as high 90% in the 70s and early 80s. When tax rates are that high it stifles productivity, growth and by extension tax revenue. In that environment cutting tax rates is good policy.

At 35-39% that argument doesn't hold water anymore. It is sheer greed by those at the top.
    "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Originally posted by Islandman View Post
      I would argue that Reaganomics died a natural death, outlived its usefulness, rather than being killed by Romney, Grover Norquist or any one person.

The Laffer curve made a lot of sense when marginal tax rates were as high 90% in the 70s and early 80s. When tax rates are that high it stifles productivity, growth and by extension tax revenue. In that environment cutting tax rates is good policy.

At 35-39% that argument doesn't hold water anymore. It is sheer greed by those at the top.
      Saw a few clips yesterday where some GOP punters are now relaxing their position on a possible tax increase on the rich. I guess after they listen to Rush rant they may take a hardline position again.
      "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

I really don't want any of those pundits to change their positions.

I want Rush to continue being his good 'ole self. I want Sean Hannity to rant and rage/(rave). I hope the Tea Party still remain strong.

"That's all I have to say about that".

--Forrest Gump
        The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

Maybe not though, cause some of the new House Republicans have decided not to sign the "No New Taxes" pledge.
          "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Sound like you want a one-party state? Me nuh want that at all.

Comment

Just wait till the economy start do a little better and see how them jump up again bout government taking too much tax, rah rah, and tax cut will actually put more tax in the kitty.

It is not dead and will only recycle and come back.. Democrats better do something good this time. People forget how they had the swing in 08 and what they did with it.
              • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by HL View Post
                I really don't want any of those pundits to change their positions.

I want Rush to continue being his good 'ole self. I want Sean Hannity to rant and rage/(rave). I hope the Tea Party still remain strong.

"That's all I have to say about that".

--Forrest Gump
                Sorry HL, cannot agree with that. There are issues that the DEMs need to be checked on and as long as idiots like Rush and Hannity is the face of the party, they won't be taken seriously by the masses.
                "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

http://news.yahoo.com/don%E2%80%99t-...-13564462.html
                  • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

I posted this article for the labourites ,i wanted them to be enlightined that this is the slogan to win back parliament, campaign on a all inclusive platform that promotes building a middle class and transparency by rooting out corruption,and you will have sewn up a base that is open for all parties to be exploited.the Pnp has the slogan dem care fi poor people ,which when you twist it , you can argue that their objective is to keep the masses poor to control them by giving them crumbs.The Jlp can argue they want to em[ower the poor into the new middle class....BOLD ! but this requires a platform of transparency and dynaism, alot of the old tribal ways have to be disregarded, embrace of all and fairness to all must be seen ,heard and felt in order for it to be succesfull.

1) Tout giving the OCG prosecutorial powers

2) Revise the tax system

3)Invest in our ports , terminals and airways as panama opens up and Cuba will if we have another democratic president after Obama, we have to be prepared.

4)Seek trade mission to the Bric nations, let that be your P.R , unlike Portia who is always on vacation, let your economic campaign be about trade , thats is what is going to build your middle class.

It can be done.If the JLP wins by another intentional accident which would inevitable lead to the PNP returning to power by another inevitable accident.It can be avoided if the platform is followed.

A mean sitting down waiting for a car to hit you is an intentional accident, the driver( IMF) will claim it was not intentioned, we as a people take political turns in lying in front of the IMF car which is intentioned.

Think !

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Seems like you into elections. We need some real work. Time for the PNP wake up, them win the election, no?

Can't wait 4 more years for savior, like America we have our fiscal cliff so over to the PM and her government.

Comment

The JLP is the opposition no ?

Comment

only 1 year gone. They should be using this time to rebuild and come up with ideas how to grow the country when they get in power.

PNP is the government and need to get Jamaica forward right NOW. 12 months without one legislation to grow anything after winning a landslide is not very good.

Comment

Your point ? only a couple hours passed and the repugs already know what they have to do to win the next election , can they do it ? time will tell but at least they know and i am sure they will try.

I doubt if the JLP knows , or will know in 4 or 17 years, waiting for the PNP to fall out of favour seems to be the plan, what I call the intentional accident.

wha yuh say wait?..hehe my friend dat is the problem....as election dun , it a run !

Comment

"Your point ? only a couple hours passed and the repugs already know what they have to do to win the next election , can they do it ? time will tell but at least they know and i am sure they will try."

Is this for real? they don't even know what hit them yet. The republicans will have to go in and first regroup and come up with viable candidates or they will win nothing.

Do you want people who just feed off the people and tell lies just to win election or you want a government that works, that can sell a message and deliver?

Comment

Working...
                              X