Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Teen Chess Champion Rochelle Ballantyne

Teen Chess Champion Rochelle Ballantyne on Starring in 'Brooklyn Castle'

This seventeen-year-old student is featured in a documentary about inner-city students that rank among the nation's top competitive chess players.

Photo courtesy of Grant Cornett

At the I.S. 318 middle school in Brooklyn, 65 percent of students live below the federal poverty level. Yet despite the odds, the school has the highest ranked junior high chess team in the country and holds almost 30 national championships—more than any other school in the nation. A new documentary (in theaters on Fri., Oct. 19) takes a close look at how a few select students, including Rochelle Ballantyne, excelled at the game. Rochelle's the only girl featured in Brooklyn Castle, and she has her sights set on becoming the first African-American female master in the history of chess. It's been four years since filming of this documentary commenced—Rochelle is now a high school senior—but her name is still at the top of I.S. 318's list of best players. We spoke to her about competing against mostly male players and making plans for college.

What motivated you to start playing chess?
    "My grandmother taught me to play when I was in the third grade. I was really active as a child, and she wanted to find a way to keep me relaxed and get my brain going."

When did you begin to take chess seriously?
    "The first time that I won a national tournament when I was in the fifth grade. I won fourth place at the Girls National Championship and that's when I thought, I could really be good at this."

What's driving you to become the first African-American female master in the history of chess?
    "My grandmother. When I first started playing, she introduced to me the idea of being the first African-American female chess master. I didn't think about it much because for me it seemed like an impossible feat, and I didn't think it could happen. I wasn't as focused and dedicated as I am now. I didn't think I was a good chess player—people told me I was, but it wasn't my mentality at that moment. But then after she died, that really affected me, because she was the one person that always had confidence in me. She never pushed me, and she always respected me for who I was. I have to reach that goal for her."

Are you still competing against mostly boys?
    "I would say no because I like the idea of being the only girl! Winning is just that much more glorious because everyone expects me to lose. But many more girls are getting involved in chess, and I like that. The girls who play chess and go to national tournaments with me are my support system. The boys that I play with don't understand."

How does it feel to have your story broadcasted to the public through the release of this documentary?
    "I'm really happy that my story is being told because it's inspirational. I don't want to sound over-confident, but we're really awesome kids and I hope that people see the film and follow suit. The biggest message is that you can achieve anything you want to achieve if you work hard for it. We're living proof of that."

Does it increase the pressure to win?
    "With the documentary coming out, the pressure is going to increase. It's a bittersweet feeling to be a girl and one of the top players. To maintain that number one spot and excel in other aspects of life besides chess puts a lot of pressure on me. But I don't want to reach the mark of becoming the first female African-American chess master for other people; I want to reach it for my grandmother and me."

Before you play, what do you do to calm your nerves?
    "I usually listen to music. I put my iPod on shuffle and whatever plays, plays."

How does playing chess impact your academic life?
    "Chess makes me think. It helps me in school, and it can really help in the college applications. It motivates me and makes me push myself harder."

What about your personal life?
    "Chess is emotionally burdening, but when I win, it makes me feel a whole lot better about myself. I feel like I can accomplish so much more, and so that's helped me through the years."

You're about to graduate high school. Do you have plans to attend college next year?
    "I really want to go to the University of Pennsylvania or Stanford. I applied through QuestBridge, which is a scholarship program that has a partnership with those schools."

One of the issues raised in this documentary is that I.S. 318 is facing budget cuts, and the chess program is in jeopardy. What do you want audiences to know?

Kids have achieved so much because of the chess program at I.S. 318, and now because of budget cuts, that program might not be there anymore, and that's really horrible. It's so sad that you can take out money from schools because education is what allows you to succeed in life. My brother goes to I.S. 318 now, and the chess team might not be able to go to nationals. When people watch the movie, I want them to see how important the school is to all of us, and how it molded our lives. We have to pave the way so that other kids can achieve what we've achieved."

Read more: http://www.teenvogue.com/my-life/pro...#ixzz2Bf1SMpAl
    Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
    - Langston Hughes

I recently finished reading a book named "How Children Succeed" and there was a whole chapter on this school and their chess program. Extremely interesting story and book overall.

http://www.paultough.com/the-books/h...ldren-succeed/

The more I learn about the public education system in the US today the more shocked I am about how bad it has become. In that school you have kids who have become chess national masters but struggle to get a half-decent SAT score simply because they did not get the required academic foundation in their early education.

Meanwhile some on this forum continue to believe that the US school system is the best that the world has to offer. Ah bwoy.
    "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Why unnu on HL case dis week!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

noice!!
        TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

Queen of Katwe

Another good one! Love these stories

http://www.timcrothers.net/
          - Langston Hughes

Comment

My yute would never go to a public school...never...i will pay the private fees...and then kick back at his medical school graduation...

Comment

I am slowly coming around to that opinion myself. I am going to give it a year and then re-evaluate but what I am seeing so far is not impressive at all.

The strange thing is that the US still has an excellent public university system.
              "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

I kotch with family and drive a 2006 deportee so i can send my son to a top private school...he is now in 6th form on 1/2 scholarship and top of his class...his goal is to become a transplant surgeon...i will sacrifice for him...not saying it can't happen in a public school but I am not taking that gamble...

Comment

Erm...didn't you go to a private school?

Just asking!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

well yes...but...i hate you

Comment

My brother recently took his daughter out of a public school to go to public school in the downtown school in the town where he lives. The school is offerring the IB program, A friend also had her daughter graduated from that program. It is been offerred in some inner city public schools here in GA and I think it is an excellent program.

On the question of the US schools, based on what I am seeing I think the parents have to do more with the kids underperforming.

My youths come home with homework everyday in PreK and Kindergarden and I am saying I can't remember us doing so much work. The teacher send information and what they are doing everyday(along with something to get your money). This I say because it simply means the parents have to spend time with their kids and keep up to date with what they are doing.

I similar problems in America as in Jamaica. The schools with the more active parent teacher association, strong foundation and strong principals usually succeed.
                      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

For me it might be a Florida issue or maybe even an issue specific to the public school district that I live in. My daughter was in a private Pre-K program and just this year we put her in a public school for Kindergarden. I am not sure she has learnt anything new in months.

If a child comes from a stable background where the parents are involved and interested in their progress then they will probably be OK wherever they go to school. They might not be challenged though and I am believing more and more now that many traits are learnt as a very young age. Hang round wutless people long enough and chances are you will become wutless too, or at least not motivated to be all you can be.

Comment

Another day, another of your love/hate relationship
                          - Langston Hughes

Comment

love dat!!
                            TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

that is true still. I can tell you that I have one in Kindergarden and one in Pre-k and they have two very different character.

The older while bright is somewhat lazy and unless I push him he will let things pass. The younger will bug me to help him read even when I am busy.

I find if your kids are very bright or at an acceptable level, it depends on the school, as NO Child Left behind concentrate on getting the kids to standard so the teach might pay more attention to the kids that are lagging.

Some school have special program for special kids. My younger kid has already finish his word list for the year. He did this, his teacher try to slow him down by not giving him the list, I got them off the web and he bugs the teacher to finish to check it off. The teacher told me she will give him the 1st grade word list.

Personally I am pleased and let me tell you it differ from school to school as even in bad school district you have some good schools. As I state my niece left a good prep to go to the IB program.

Ever heard of it?
                              • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Working...
                              X