X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dip in NIR worrying

Dip in NIR worrying

6:13 am, Thu November 8, 2012

There is deepening concern about the country's Net International Reserves, NIR, following the release of information from the Bank of Jamaica,, BoJ which shows there has been another big decline.
    According to the monthly update from the Central Bank, the NIR fell by US$125 in October.
    It closed at US$1.13 billion or 13 weeks of imports.
    The NIR was valued at 14 weeks in the previous month.
    The international benchmark is for a country's NIR to be capable of purchasing more than 12 weeks of goods and service imports.
    The continued decline in the NIR is due to the BoJ's intervention in the foreign exchange market to prevent the Jamaican dollar from sliding faster than it has so far.
    Opposition Spokesman on Finance Audley Shaw, has chided the government for the falling NIR describing it as a sad state of affairs.
    There are fears that if a new deal with the International Monetary Fund, IMF, is not reached before the end of the year, then the NIR could head close to a critical level.
    Group strategist at Scotiabank, Dr. Adrian Stokes, says the situation is cause for concernas... “We do not know when an IMF agreement will be in.”
    The Simpson-Miller administration is trying to complete negotiations with the IMF by year end to secure loans that could prop up the NIR.
    The Bank of Jamaica recently increased its open market operations to mop up liquidity in the financial market and ease the pressure off the dollar which is trading above the J$91 mark against the American currency.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Mop up liquidity .... awww the good ole days.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

This is what a London based finance bredrin emailed me regarding this. Note that he is NO friend of the JLP.

"I am quite surprised it took then so long. Financial stewardship under PNP governments have always been poor, they have given us the worst Financial Minister since independence. Nevertheless, the people keep being fooled and voting them back in. I am not saying that the Opposition Finance Minister is a genius either, but the PNP ones are worse.

Jamaica is obsessed by micro/monetary economics policy without formulating a macro economic plan. I am not sure what kind of economics they are teaching at UWI, but the country cannot create real economic growth, without a plan. And the PNP government doesn’t have one. And quite frankly neither does the JLP.

Once interest rates rise, then the Stock Market will fall, borrowing costs will increase and we are back to square one. I am surprised that the PSOJ hasn’t called both parties in and read them the riot act .It’s in their interest to do so, because their business will be affected again.

Crazy"

Comment

Can't say mi never warn them. Dem a dilly dally while Rome is burning. We should have had an IMF deal long time. The hurricane just made it worst. The NIR dipping, the Interest rate climbing, government borrowing more than plan, dollar devaluing, government not meeting income projection and now to add to that export will be down because of the Hurricane and the leader can't even answer simple financial questions.

Not a good recipe right now.
        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Working...
        X