X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A very good article on Reggae Drumming history

The dawning of the drum

Published: Sunday | November 4, 2012

The drum has always been a very integral part of African music. It became a very powerful force in the lives of African slaves who were brought to the West Indies to work the sugar plantations during the 17th and 18th centuries. It was also regarded as the most feared instrument by white slave masters, who were irked by the ominous sound of the instrument and feared its power. As a consequence, some even banned it. The drum was, in fact, used by the slaves to communicate in ways whites could not understand. It meant slaves could go as far as to incite unrest and cause revolt. In fact, they did.
    As the years went by and the bonds of bondage began to disappear, the chanting of the slaves and the beating of drums became a form of entertainment for themselves and listeners who sometimes happened to be whites. This music form was passed down through three centuries and by the late 1940s keteh drumming (named after the type of drum used), was extensively used in Jamaican mento recordings.
    In particular, Harold Richardson and the Ticklers, whose lyrics in one of their recordings, Glamour Gal, picturesquely describe the glamour women of the day, was a group which seemed to have a penchant for the keteh drum.
    Them place a black spot beside them nose,
    and them call that the beauty pose,
    and if them too black and it don't show,
    them put on bleaching cream as you know.
    That's the kind a gal them call the glamour gal.
    Them have one something fi redden them lip,
    and band them waist till them swing like whip,
    and if them chest even looking flat,
    new style brazier will take care of that.

Keteh drumming and a mento band in those days, when added to such descriptive lyrics, make for the quintessence of Jamaican Mento music.
    TRADITIONAL DRUMS
    In addition to the keteh, two other traditional Jamaican drum types with African origins were in use.
    The fundeh is a cylindrical single-headed piece that functionally keeps the timing and carries the rythms, which is the essence of Nyabinghi music.
    The bass drum is double-headed and is played with a padded stick, underpinning the music with steady regular strokes on the first and third beat.
    Both the fundeh and keteh, also known as the repeater, are played with the hand. The latter, also single-sided and cylindrical, is the smallest of the three and the highest pitched.
    According to veteran Jamaican keteh drummer Noel 'Skully' Simms, who did keteh drumming on several hit recordings for Bunny Wailer and Peter Tosh, keteh drumming, more than any other type, has kept the African drum tradition alive in Jamaican music.
    Played to a faster beat, it is phrased around the bass and fundeh drums. Skully and Lascelles Perkins, singing under the name Mellow Cats, for Coxson's All Stars label, may very well be numbered among the first set of singers associated with keteh drum-driven songs in Jamaican popular music, when they recorded Rock-A-Man Soul in 1959. The song has a story behind it, which Skully related to me.
    "I was sitting with Planno one day in his yard while we chanted 'Rastaman soul is the bosom of Abraham'. But dem time deh, dem a beat Rasta, and I think the song wouldn't go far with that name. So when I go record it with Lascelles, we change 'Rastaman' to 'Rock-a-man'," he said.
    Skully listed the accompanying musicians as Jackie Mittoo (piano), Count Ossie and the Wareikas, and himself on drum.
    The recording sold well in England, and he had an equally successful follow-up duet with Bunny Robinson for Clement 'Coxson' Dodd with the same blend, titled Send Another Moses.
    African drumming in Jamaican music reached unprecedented levels with the recording Oh Carolina in 1960. The song signalled a real 'turning point' in the course of Jamaican music, and was arguably the single most important record in the country's music history.
    AFRICAN ROOTS
    All previous Jamaican recordings, except for mento, was an attempt to copy the beat of American R&B songs. Oh Carolina did no such thing, and instead, displayed distinctive elements of African and Rastafarian culture, never before heard in a Jamaican recording.
    With vocals by Mico, John, and Eric Folkes (Folkes Brothers), an inspiring piano introduction by Owen Grey, handclaps by Prince Buster, all backed by the thundering cross rhythms of the Rastafarians, Count Ossie and the Wareikas, the recording was another first, in terms of garnering respect for the Rastafarian movement.
    Yet, apart from the beat, there was hardly anything in the song that would identify it with Rastafarian beliefs, as its unintimidating and unphilosophical lyrics, were miles away from such tenets.
    Oh Carolina was to, once again, rise to prominence nearly 40 years later in 1994. While Shaggy did a remake that brought international popularity, a battle between Prince Buster and the Folkes Brothers concerning authorship ensued.
    A London court ruled in 1994 that John Folkes was deserving of royalties for the song, which had, in 1993, become so popular, that there was much to earn.
    Other notable Jamaican recordings down the years that have exhibited predominant African drumming include Bam Bam by Toots and the Maytals; Rasta Reggae and the Grounation album series by Count Ossie; and the Mystic Revelation of Rastafari, Good Time Rock (The Father's Time Is Coming Again) by Hugh Malcolm; Addis Ababa by Lloyd Knibbs and the Skatalites; Drum Song by The Soul Vendors; and the album Master Drummer by Bongo Herman.
    The 1990s saw a series of such songs emerging: Kette Drum by Determine and Beenie Man (1995), Think You Got It All by Shabba Ranks (1995), Fly Away Home by Lukie D and Firehouse Crew (1995), and Any Old Season by Red Rose (1996, on the 'Redemption Song' rhythm), among others.
    Present-day Jamaican popular music for the most part uses traditional Jamaican bass drums, together with American-style drum kits, and computerised drum machines.
    African-derived drums and drumming have, however, retained their place and supremacy in the areas of folk music and traditional folk forms.
    broyal_2008@yahoo.com
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Rastaman chant by the wailers didnt make that list.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrITj4Mp88k
    THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

West African Influences

This is a very nice and quite condensed informative article.

Overall, though, it is possible to argue that the music genres of Cuba and Latin America (meringue, samba, rumba) are more polyrhythmic and therefore much closer to their African roots than those of Jamaica. By way of comparison, the music of the English-speaking Caribbean islands (ska, reggae, calypso, etc.) tend to focus on a heavy, centralized beat.

Did the fact that the slave trade in the British colonies was abolished in 1807 as opposed to the trade to the Latin American colonies, which continued well past the middle of that century (and thus resulted in a continued infusion of direct African culture) contribute to this difference? Peter Manuel, in his book, Caribbean Currents: Caribbean Music From Rumba to Reggae, seems to think so.

Comment

Interesting , I have always wondered why our music took such a dramatic shift in sound and focus , but werent we playing music similar to our neighbours in a (mento -calypso) form up to the 60s ,where did our heavy influence of the singular drum bass beat come from.

I think Jazz played a big part in that shift , with the invent of Ska , those horns subbed - complimented the drum beats , which inturned reciprocated back into heavier drum based beats and as it slowed down when we experimented with dub and that influence has never left us.

Just my thoughts.
        THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

In addition....

For example, the music of our nearest neighbor Cuba (approx.90 miles from Jamaica) is much, much closer to that of Brazil, which is more than 1,000 miles from Cuba. As far as geography is concerned, this hardly makesmuch sense, as so one is led to consider seriously the slave trade angle.

To expand on this a bit more, reggae has a more direct link with calypso, despite the fact that the distance from Trinidad to Jamaica is almost the same as the distance from Brazil to Cuba. (One can argue that Jamaican mento is an imitation of Trinidadian calypso.)

This is food for thought, in my view.

Comment

I agree with you

Originally posted by X View Post
            I think Jazz played a big part in that shift , with the invent of Ska , those horns subbed - complimented the drum beats , which inturned reciprocated back into heavier drum based beats and as it slowed down when we experimented with dub and that influence has never left us.

Just my thoughts.
            And I fully share your views here, X.

Like you, I feel that American jazz in particular, and also the R&B that Jamaican musicians heard on their radio and in their travels, played the major role in this shift, and that it did so in the manner that you described above.

(By the way, like you stated, Rastaman Chant by Bob should have been included in the article.)

Comment

Weirika Hills and Renoclodge play a very important part in this type of drumming. Upon till the 1990s Mystic Revelation of Rastafari still ran a library there. People iike Count Ossie, Brother Sam Clayton, Bro Royo, Bongo Herman and others were instrumental in this. Even until recent Mystic Revelation of Rastafari still toured Europe on a yearly basis.
              • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Was thinking the same ting....thanks boss. One of my ultimate favourites...

Comment

Didn't Mento and Calypso have a parallel development? That is - not derived from the other? Both genres have strong similarities wrt to social commentary, sexual innuendo and call and refrain....but also making use of percussion instruments from everyday life....maybe because Calypso became the more popular (internationally) form we forget the common root from our African heritage and possible parallel evolution.
                  Of course both genres have European influences as well...but if we look at the French islands and listen to the more recent Zouk we see similar influences.

Comment

Working...
                  X