• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hard times for entrepreneurs

Hard times for entrepreneurs

50% fall in Start-ups
    BY NEKIESHA REID Business reporter
    Friday, October 19, 2012

JAMAICANS who dream of starting their own businesses are facing much tougher times, warn the authors of a new study.
    “The entrepreneur climate is declining,” said Dr Girjanauth Boodraj, a senior lecturer at the University of Technology (UTech) and lead researcher on the Jamaican part of the Global Entrepreneurship Monitor (GEM).

Audrey Marks founded Paymaster despite obstacles that might have discouraged other entrepreneurs.

1/1

The number of businesses started in Jamaica has dropped by more than 50 per cent since 2009, according to GEM's latest annual report.
    And although the figure ticked up slightly last year, it is unlikely to rise much, if at all, in 2012.
    The tragedy is that Jamaica is one of the most entrepreneurial countries in the world, with 79 per cent of persons believing they have the skills to be their own bosses.
    GEM - a study conducted by a consortium of universities — analyses the level of entrepreneurship in countries ranging from Algeria to the United States, using Total earlystage Entrepreneurial Activity (TEA) as its primary indicator.
    TEA is the percentage of persons between 18 and 64 years old who are in the process of setting up businesses as well as those that have been paying wages for up to three and a half years.
    At the start of the global recession, Jamaica's TEA was 16 per cent, but rose to 23 per cent in 2009.
    However, by 2010, TEA fell to just over 10 per cent.
    One possible explanation, said Boodraj, is that persons who lost their jobs when the recession hit set out on their own in 2009, but that many of them had “discontinued” their businesses a year later.
    “People tend to start in retail,” he said, noting that these businesses are less likely to survive and that their owners would much rather have secure jobs.
    Vanetta Skeete, a senior lecturer at the UTech and coauthor of the report, said that “a lot of the start-ups in Jamaica are necessity-driven” rather than opportunity-driven.
    “Our economic circumstances push people into starting businesses and the research will show that most people prefer to get a job since that's more secure,” she said.
    Those who start businesses out of necessity tend to go into retail trades and agriculture, because they often require a minimum amount of capital.
    “While 80 per cent of Jamaicans believe they have the capabilities to start a business, the figures show that only 19 per cent intend to become entrepreneurs,” Boodraj said.
    This is because the majority of the population is risk-averse, Skeete said, although the percentage fell last year from 33 per cent to 29 per cent, less than in more developed countries.
    Fear of failure is a major hindrance to increased entrepreneurial activity, which both Boodraj and Skeete said could be overcome with increased education.
    “One of the case studies that we use in the classroom is that of Audrey Marks,” Skeete said.
    Marks created Paymaster, the first multi-transaction payment system in the Caribbean, after years of struggle.
    Faced with a lack of investment and scepticism on all fronts, she sold her two houses and vehicle in order to raise the money to fund the business.
    Paymaster now has over 200 locations in Jamaica, the US and the UK.
    Lessons such as Marks's story would do much to address the fear of failure.
    Teaching entrepreneurship in schools beginning at the primary level is the easiest and cheapest way to do this, Boodraj and Skeete said.
    The development of a curriculum for Entrepreneurship that was just completed for the Caribbean Advanced Proficiency Examination (CAPE) level was welcome, they said.
    But the best way to encourage entrepreneurship would be to get the economy ticking over again, Boodraj said. “Give people jobs, make the economy better and entrepreneurship will follow.”

"But the best way to encourage entrepreneurship would be to get the economy ticking over again, Boodraj said. “Give people jobs, make the economy better and entrepreneurship will follow.”

Now to think that the Jamaican entrepreneurs and businessmen are all lazy, it is a farce.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Exile View Post
      Faced with a lack of investment and scepticism on all fronts, she sold her two houses and vehicle in order to raise the money to fund the business.
      Paymaster now has over 200 locations in Jamaica, the US and the UK.
      Lessons such as Marks's story would do much to address the fear of failure.
      So, where did she live after selling two houses?! She had a third?!?!?

Oh, if only I had a house to sell so that I could invest in my business!

Then the next thing yuh going to hear is that she started from zero.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Yuh badmind enuh...so anyone who has a nest egg can start a successful business? Why can't you applaud success instead of grudging people? You never go farrin go college? You never had opportunity?

Comment

Her early career saw her facing off with an establishment that may have been surprised at the fight in this rather dainty young woman. She worked at Air Jamaica for several years during which she gained a UWI degree in Management and later a Master's in Business Administration. With the tumultuous atmosphere at the airline in the early 90s, she decided it was time to move on. However, she felt the terms of separation were stacked against her. This was when Marks proved that she was no shrinking violet. In her 20s, she hired her first attorney and negotiated an amicable separation.

The Marymount High School graduate joined the former TOJ (Telecomunications of Jamaica). "At the time, there was a special share offer for employees. I examined the PE ratio and decided that this was a huge opportunity. I took out a loan and purchased a sizeable number of shares." In her calm, even voice, Audrey described a bull run on the market which more than tripled her investment value in a very short time. "I decided to cash out," she said, but was told she could not do so.

Audrey was determined and she recalls a senior manager asking her, "Why are you pursuing this? Don't you value your job security?" She was not in the least bit intimidated: "If I got the $4 million, I knew I could create my own security." She won the settlement, resigned and formed her own holding company, AP Marks & Associates, which invested in farming, transportation, real estate among other ventures, and Paymaster.

Marks's visit to a bill-payment facility in Florida in the early 90s led her to map out a template for Paymaster. Her analytical mind harked back to the planning meetings at TOJ when there were detailed 10-year business plans with huge capital outlay, but no thought given to better facilities for bill payment.
          Nobody gave her anything...she used her wit and accumulated a nest egg...yuh born wit badmind or ketch yuh ketch it?

Comment

There is a lot more to the Paymaster network build out... all mi can seh is she nuh ramp !

Farin white man still confuse..

Comment

What she has done is amazing...one bag a money was not what made this a success...why do we find it so hard to celebrate success of our own? I was at Sandals Grand Riviera for 3 days and snicker when I think of those who bash Butch...who would be employing all of those people working at the hotel if it wasn't for Butch?

Comment

Life is nice..enjoy it yes...

Comment

Working...
                X