Origins of Jamaica Towns - Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Origins of Jamaica Towns - Help

Bricky, Exile and Sass, where can I find the origin of Jamaica towns and their names..

I am trying to solve a mystery, their is suppose to be a town/Village in Hanover called Flint River, and it's as if I can't find a trace of it.

http://prestwidge.com/

Try this, I am a crazy map man and this guy has this ridiculous site of every old Jamaican map going back to 1655. If you can't find it on one of these maps, it does not exist!

Comment

Saw some land advertised their recently and got it on Google maps...at least the location...

Comment

Thanks...nice post...check this map:

http://prestwidge.com/index.php?/project/1814-1840/

Comment

I think the best thing to do is google it, you may have to go through a lot of junk but I found a lot of info on a few small district in Jamaica that way. More than anything from any Jamaican source.
          • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Flint River is suppose to be besides Tryall Golf Course, but other than the the old Great house(Slavery) that the Topper family owned, there are no buildings there.

Comment

Very good information here, and genealogy tips too...the maps are more Parish orientated, also why did they have Kingston on the first map instead of Port Royal..

Comment

The LDS site shows a lot of births there, and articles in the Gleaner about it being a town, as much as saying that the register of births were kept there before going to Sandy Bay.

The gas station maps still carry the name, I will try the Survey department, got my fingers cross...

Comment

I think you talking bout the green map, if so then it look like that is a mistake, but maybe it is just how to fit the font on the map, as you can see port royal is there as its boundary stretched up towards blue mountain range on the northern side and included places like bull bay, cane river etc.

Comment

I just tried another of my books, Jamaica surveyed by Higman but only found flint river pen in st Mary. Will dig around a bit more and let you know later.

Comment

Talking about Port Royal and the Palisados, it was a series of islands and dumping took place to bridge them and form the peninsula.

Comment

Flint River is just beyond the "Water Wheel" at Tryall. The bridge is the Flint River Bridge?

The village follows the river below and behind Tryall (There was - Is it still there? - the laundry for the Tryall Hotel on that road.) ...and also goes up the road leading towards Rejoin and Cold Spring for a little way.

You may have noticed in your travels towards Montego Bay after passing the "Water Wheel", crossing the Flint River bridge a ruin on your right - that is the Rigg('s) house. That also is a part of Flint River. It was called the "Flint River property". On the left of that main road as you continue towards Montego Bay on land is the remains of a bar and and jutting into the sea a jetty. That bar was used in the movie "Cool Runnings". Those are also within the boundary of Flint River.

Hope that helps!
                        Last edited by Karl; October 2, 2012, 08:44 AM.
                        "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Flint River the Town/District/Village, one mile from the main road to cold spring is Recovery Pen.

There was a Cannon near to the jetty part of Hanover Fort system, Round Hill, Tryall, Barbican/Mosquito Cove, Point, Fort Charlotte, Davis Cove & Green Island.

That bar where "Cool Runnings" was filmed was built in the 70's, the ruins was owned by back in the 1800's by the Topper family who inter married with their other German Sanftleben.

Comment

I don't know the real history on that but from a map standpoint it seem the connected spit was there pretty much after 1700 or so just based on memory of maps without checking it. Based on geography we also have three big rivers dumping silt to the east of where the spit start, the hope river, cane river and yallahs with wave and wind action raking basically from east to west, plus hurricanes and storms that hit that area typically push east to west. That could explain fundamental formation over many years, but just a wild guess.

Comment

TDowll, got some good information on this, it was a sugar estate during slavery times, I have a book that gives the attorney and subsequently owner as Isaac Jackson, he was also an administrator for German town or proper name Seaford town. It shows that he thought that white immigration into the interior was a waste of time, however it was very much what the planter based administration pursued immediately after emancipation. Let me know if you want more info on this.

Comment

Working...
                              X