• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well Said, Mr. Thwaites!

Proficiency in English a must — Thwaites

BY KARLA JOSEPHS Observer West reporter
    josephsk@jamaicaobserver.com
    Thursday, July 12, 2012

MONTEGO BAY, St James - MINISTER of Education Ronald Thwaites says although the Jamaican dialect should be embraced, the English language is still vital to the development of the nation.

"Some of us have a notion in Jamaica that somehow we can get by with our wonderful Jamaican language. It is a language with its own integrity which uses English words but does not have an English grammatical structure. We all know it and we must revel in it and never disparage it. But I have to tell you that the English language is the language of the work force, the language of professionalism, the language of world trade and therefore proficiency both in written and conversational English is a must; there are no alternatives," Rev Thwaites argued.

He was speaking at the annual Cornwall College Valedictory Service held at the Montego Bay Convention Centre in St James last Sunday.

Rev Thwaites noted that the results from the Grade Six Achievement Test (GSAT) have proved that Grade Six students face difficulty when expressing the English language.

"The surveys tell us that the students of Grade Six understand English well, but when we look at the profiles of their ability to express themselves in English the results unfortunately are very depressing. We have to change that," he emphasised.

The education minister also encouraged the graduates to be proficient in Mathematics.

"It used to be almost fashionable to say, "I can't do Maths, Maths is too hard," that is no longer acceptable for the well-educated Jamaicans.
    Mathematics is the gateway to science, and science is the prism through which development in the 21st century will be forthcoming," he explained.

As usual, these politicians are hot air and talk is cheap. What has the PNP done to improve the educational attainment of children in Jamaica as we continue to export large numbers of illiterates accompanied with their green cards to America.
    Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

I do not think that there was any aspect of this in doubt, regarding English! Is not like people are calling for patois to repce English on the curriculum or that English be taught in patois () ...... Just for patois to be standardized and taught

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

you can reason with Thwaites now. Him suppose to be your neighbour up inna the hills. Just don't plant any coffee with him LOL.
        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Actually they are...they want subjects taught in patois...while we fiddle:

http://www.universityworldnews.com/a...20621131543827

Comment

Working...
          X