"This is Reggae Music..."

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "This is Reggae Music..."

Historian: Remember when Jamaican musicians sat down and composed songs like this...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jdn5NkQGfKQ
    The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Harold Butler and a young Berres Hammond amongst others.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Yep

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
      Harold Butler and a young Berres Hammond amongst others.
      ‘Sass, some good names you mentioned here.

Every time I see Harold Butler and Beres Hammond’s name mentioned, I find myself reflecting on the absence today of a clique of highly talented guys who used to play together at times. I’m referring here to:

Harold, who is unquestionably one of the finest keyboard players that our country has ever produced; Lennox Gordon, a superb lead guitarist who many in the Jamaican music industry back in the late 1970s were describing as the heir to the great Ernest Ranglin; Calvin McKenzie, a young drummer who was probably the best jazz drummer in Jamaica in the late 1970s.

With the exception of Beres, these guys encountered situations that severely affected them. Thankfully, Harold seemed to have recovered from his situation and is back in action today.

A question, boss: Who do you rate more highly as a keyboard player, Harold Butler or Michael “Ibo” Cooper?

Comment

First before I answer I will say in my ten years, I use to hang out at Castleton Gardens a little. The family who I hang out with use to be very accomodating to Harold in the midst of his struggle. He would come there to hangout or on take short trips. I met him twice, there(no music involved about music). So everytime I see Harold doing something I cheer for him.

I love Ibo and as a part of third world I couldn't get enough of them at the time. Respect for Ibo is concrete. I however think Harold is better. When I listen to Harold work in work he did with people like Cynthia Sloss, Zap Pow, Jah Armi and others, I think he is a genius. Not only did he play the keyboard but he wrote many of these well composed songs. He always had some very interesting sounds and never dublicated in his recordings. Never seen Harold perform live as I did with Ibo(a few times well).
        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Fully agree with you

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
          First before I answer I will say in my ten years, I use to hang out at Castleton Gardens a little. The family who I hang out with use to be very accomodating to Harold in the midst of his struggle. He would come there to hangout or on take short trips. I met him twice, there(no music involved about music). So everytime I see Harold doing something I cheer for him.

I love Ibo and as a part of third world I couldn't get enough of them at the time. Respect for Ibo is concrete. I however think Harold is better. When I listen to Harold work in work he did with people like Cynthia Sloss, Zap Pow, Jah Armi and others, I think he is a genius. Not only did he play the keyboard but he wrote many of these well composed songs. He always had some very interesting sounds and never dublicated in his recordings. Never seen Harold perform live as I did with Ibo(a few times well).
          I agree with you 100 percent! And believe me, the genius Harold Butler is just as good live!

Like you, I admire Ibo’s talent very, very much, but Harold is definitely the more accomplished of the two, in my opinion.

‘Sass, the other two musicians I mentioned were probably on or close to the level of Harold. Believe me, Lennox and Calvin were that good on their instruments! Lennox, for example, was the primary lead guitarist on the album “The Butler Did It,” and all three musicians worked together at times and often spent time together (for example, both Lennox and Calvin were among the musicians on Harold’s album, “My Life: Part I”).

But…. life is sometimes unexplainably tragic.

Comment

The thing I like most about the music composed by Harold is Clarity. You could almost distinctly tell the different instrumet, the voice was immaculate and there was always good harmony and hook.

Never really know much about Lennox and Calvin but you know they were good musicians and didn't skip a beat. I personally could listen to Harold tunes anytime without any interruption and not get bored. I think the last commercial song I heard with him is "Don't take away the music" with the group Jah Army. I am currenlty trying to locate that song as I haven't heard it in years.

Comment

Working...
            X