Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dancehall Excluded from Jamaica 50 Concert

Dancehall acts upset with genre's exclusion from Jamaica 50 concert

There's a growing uproar within the Dancehall community following confirmation that no artiste representing the popular Jamaican genre will be represented at an upcoming Jamaica 50 concert in England.

http://www.examiner.com/article/danc...ica-50-concert
    Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Have to agree with:

"God go wid dem. Jamaica land we love same way, big disrespect that still," Bounty Killer told the Gleaner.

and:

Additionally, Mr. Vegas intimated that, "Reggae music is the umbrella. Sean Paul, Beenie Man and others go out in the world and promote dancehall artistes worldwide, it is ridiculous not to have dancehall artistes on the show. It is ok for the organiser to have a preference, but for him to do that is just ridiculous. Dancehall is a part of Jamaica's culture,"

Meanwhile, another noteworthy absence from Respect Jamaica 50th lineup is that of women as Reggae superstar, Queen Ifrica pointed out. The Times Like These singer stated that she and fellow Reggae stalwart, Tony Rebel were axed from the lineup after originally being slated to perform at the London-based concert.

"We were supposed to be on that show and they took us off. Copeland Forbes was the one who consulted with us, and then we didn't hear anything after that. Jamaica is celebrating 50 years so there must be stages to the line-up. Queen Ifrica fi deh pon a show like that. Etana, Tanya Stephens and Lady Saw should also be on that show. Where are the artistes like Everton Blender, Anthony B, Capleton, Sister Nancy, Brigadier Jerry? Where is I-Octane and Assassin?" Queen Ifrica queried.

"In 2012, you should even have Potential Kidd representing this stage of the business. You can't leave anything out. Dem need fi stop trick the Jamaican people into denying themselves."

For his part, Tony Rebel believes that Dancehall artistes should have been included to prove that positive connotations can be attached to the genre.

"Dancehall is a product of Jamaican music. Those who exclude dancehall are very wrong. There are positive aspects of dancehall and it should be represented in the show. It looks like the era of the 1980s-2000s are missing from the line up. I would have loved to see Cocoa Tea, Lt Stichie, Admiral Bailey and Tony Rebel on that show," he said.

"I don't see why I'm not on that line-up. I think those who made the choice could have done better consultations. Mi deh London right now and me did a look forward fi deh pon the show. We deh ya a represent Jamaica right now, so why we can't represent Jamaica 50?"

However, internationally acclaimed Dancehall diva, Spice points to an even bigger problem: That Jamaicans aren't fully supporting their own genre, which negatively resonates locally and creates a similar effect overseas.

"It's a depressing feeling. This country does not support dancehall music, so when other countries don't support it, what is left for me to say? We don't celebrate or support dancehall music and it is a part of our culture."

Jamaica entertainers who are slated to perform during the Respect Jamaica 50th series include Shaggy, Damian 'Jr. Gong' Marley, Lee 'Scratch' Perry, John Holt, Jimmy Cliff, Yellow Man and Mutaburaka, amongst several others.

Comment

Working...
    X