• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's wrong with this picture???

Skills Training For Inner-City Youngsters
    Published: Sunday | July 1, 2012 0 Comments

Giorgio Valentini -Ian Allen/Photographer

Approximately 100 at-risk young Jamaicans are now benefiting from a one-year Operation Friendship training programme, part funded by the World Bank and the Japan Social Development Fund Grant.

The skills-training programme, which is being implemented by the Jamaica Social Investment Fund (JSIF), started in March with the official opening ceremony staged last week.

The programme focuses on skills development for young persons in welding, building construction, plumbing, food preparation and electrical installation.

The course is designed to take the students up to a HEART Trust/NTA Level One certification.

Speaking at the opening ceremony, general manager for human resources and communications at JSIF, Rhonda Lumsden-Lue, said the beneficiaries hail from six inner-city communities in Kingston and St Andrew.

These were identified as Whitfield Town, Federal Gardens, Jones Town, Craig Town, and Passmore Gardens.

"The main aim of this training is to empower each person with the appropriate skills to generate their own income or become self-employed," said Lumsden-Lue

She was supported by World Bank representative for Latin America and the Caribbean, Giorgio Valentini, who argued that "trade skills are important and critical to maintain status and improve economy".

It was also announced that as an incentive at least 30 per cent of the top-performing students will be offered temporary apprenticeship placement opportunities.

PNP and World Bank are inextricably linked?

Comment

lol. No.

Comment

Would have expected a pic of the youths working diligently...or at least the GM lady...

Comment

Nothing nuh wrong in my book , as I have nothing to say but big things for HEART, as a graduate and knowing a few people working there and knowing how they try, regardless of which govt in power.
          Last edited by Assasin; July 1, 2012, 02:21 PM.
          • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Look at the bigger picture...read my post above.

Comment

the bigger picture is bad reporting. This seems to be a program of introducing the training. The guy in the picture Giorgio Valentini have been commenting on the program.
              • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Working...
              X