• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KingFish not spared but gutted... Nelson on the hook

Who Killed Kingfish
    Published: Sunday | July 1, 2012 5 Comments

Current, former security ministers can't recall

Durrant Pate, Sunday Gleaner Writer

It remains a mystery as to who ordered the closure of the successful police task force Operation Kingfish and why was it closed.

Launched in 2004 by then National Security Minister Dr Peter Phillips, the task force was quietly killed after the Jamaica Labour Party (JLP) was elected to form the Government in 2007 despite its success in bringing down a number of Jamaica's crime syndicates and netting million of dollars in tainted money.

Following the recent disclosure by outgoing Assistant Commission of Police Les Green that the task force was systematically dismantled, The Sunday Gleaner sought answers from two former ministers of national security and the current minister, but none could say when and why Kingfish was killed.

Derrick Smith, who was appointed national security minister after the JLP's 2007 general election victory, told The Sunday Gleaner he had nothing to do with the dismantling of the task force. According to Smith, he was so pleased with Operation Kingfish that he gave the team additional duties.

Smith was adamant that he gave no instructions for Kingfish to be dismantled and its function whittled away.

Smith was replaced by Colonel Trevor McMillan, now deceased, who served for a short while as security minister before Dwight Nelson was named to the post.

NELSON SURPRISED

Nelson last week told The Sunday Gleaner that he gave no order for Operation Kingfish to be disbanded, although he acknowledged that for the task force to be killed, policy direction should have come from the national security ministry. According to Nelson, he was as surprised as most Jamaicans when he saw the report in last week's edition of The Sunday Gleaner.

"I can't explain how Kingfish was dismantled and I met with Assistant Commissioner of Police Elbert Nelson and Colonel (name withheld) of the Military Intelligence Unit every Wednesday morning, and at no time did any of them speak to me about the dismantling of Kingfish," said Nelson.

"I keep getting into this thing that when things are done and I am asked about it and when I say I'm not aware, people call me a liar," mumbled Nelson.

He agreed with Smith and that any decision to dismantle Kingfish should have come from the policy actors, namely the Cabinet or the security ministry.

Current security minister Peter Bunting has also declared that he had no knowledge on who pulled the plug on Kingfish.

In the meantime, Deputy Commissioner of Police Glenmore Hinds, who was the first head of Operation Kingfish, refused to answer any questions about its demise.

"I'm not competent to speak on that" or "no comment," were the stock answers from Hinds.

Green had charged that politics and jealousy played a part in the decision to disband the task force
    TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

What a coincidence that such an effective crime fighting unit was dismantled with in certain time period. Ja is in serious troube; the island is deep in corruption. Then you hear this joke about foreign investors.

I would love to hear what Willi have to say on this. It's okay willi, I know this all started from when DK said he was going to put police in short pants, it's joshua's fault hence the other party has to follow suit......................yap ,yap

Comment

Can we get a quote from Owen Ellington and Hardley Lewin? So even though Kingfish was disbanded ... murders decreased 40+%.
      "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Murders decreased? Yep...after the public forcibly purged the blockage in Gelding's bowels...so painful it was...im bawl livin yeye wata

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

Comment

Originally posted by Don1 View Post
          Murders decreased? Yep...after the public forcibly purged the blockage in Gelding's bowels...so painful it was...im bawl livin yeye wata

that excuse doesn't stand Don1. Explain the current 6% increase compared to last year? Last I heard Dudus got 23 years ... unless you gonna tell me he is doing what Andy Chin did.
          "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

I really have a hard time sometimes tolerating your nonsense attempts at argument... begone

Comment

Originally posted by Don1 View Post
              I really have a hard time sometimes tolerating your nonsense attempts at argument... begone
              No .. you have a hard time dealing with facts. Where the idiots round here will buy your bull5hit ... I just see you for the clown you are.

Comment

Lazie c'mon man. Cho.

Comment

Seems the electorate has a hard time with your "facts" as well LOL

Poor yuh

You are a complete nincompoop... emphasis pon di poop...begone

Comment

So when the former securit ministers were being briefed, did it not seem odd or did they not ask about Kingfish? This makes NO SENSE WHATSOEVER !!!! N

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Yuhseeit...operative Don2 never critically think out that one...raaaaeeeee...raaaaeeee

Comment

Your peeps in deh fi 6 months now. Dem nuh solve all problem already??? What dem waiting on?

I tell yuh long ago that both ah dem mixup bad and dem have more loyalty to dem donors and backers than to Jamaica.

Mi know senior Sochies with conscience whey jump off the bandwaggon already.

JLPNP not interested in progress. Tan deh a farrin mek dem gwaan fool yuh.

Comment

Righteousness exalts the Earth...the JLPNP despoils it

Comment

really this is silly. if king fish was an asset why not just bring it back. they reallly take people fi idiat..

Comment

The question is...if it was an asset, why was it closed down? Whose interest was represented in the closure?

That is a very germane issue

Comment

Working...
                              X