Do not disassemble ASTEP, CAP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do not disassemble ASTEP, CAP

OPPOSITION Spokesperson for Education Marisa Dalrymple-Philibert has warned that any political disassembly of the Alternative Secondary Transitional Education Programme (ASTEP) and Career Advancement Programme (CAP) will be stoutly resisted.
    Her comments in Parliament followed indications by Education Minister Ronald Thwaites last Tuesday that his ministry was undertaking a "comprehensive review of some of the programmes within the system to ensure that we are getting value for money including the CAP and ASTEP Programmes".
    She said only a review would be welcomed, noting that the CAP programme had the potential to improve the prospects of large numbers of youth.
    CAP is the brainchild of former minister of education, the now Opposition Leader Andrew Holness, under which a "Senior School", with Grades 12 and 13 acting as extensions of the existing secondary or high school system was added to secondary education tenure in order to ensure that all children ages three to 18 are attached to a learning institution.
    "I must remind this House that in relation to the overall population of approximately 2.7 million, Jamaica's youth population is estimated to be close to 1.4 million persons between the ages of zero to 24 years representing approximately 50 per cent of the national cohort," she said.
    Dalrymple-Philibert noted, too, that 89 per cent of students enrolled in CAP are boys, while 90 per cent of those enrolled in ASTEP are also boys.

Read more: http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/news/...#ixzz1yzoLKl4o
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Marisa Dalrymple-Philibert needs to recognize that this is PNP country and anything they want to do they are free to do. Thwaites was a critic of the ASTEP program, I'm surprised he hasn't scrapped it as yet.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

On the other hand some people just resist change because they are comfortable with doing the same old thing. Even if the "same old thing" is doing nothing for the economy.

Ja has to reform its education system to meet the "global village" and the competition it brings. Clearly something is wrong with the system and Prince Andrew would agree with me (based on his actions with his own kids).

Comment

Originally posted by Jawge View Post
        On the other hand some people just resist change because they are comfortable with doing the same old thing. Even if the "same old thing" is doing nothing for the economy.

Ja has to reform its education system to meet the "global village" and the competition it brings. Clearly something is wrong with the system and Prince Andrew would agree with me (based on his actions with his own kids).
        So predictable. What was the pass rate of the recent GSAT Jawge? How did ASTEP influence those results?

Comment

How did ASTEP influence those results? lazie

Comment

Please expand. I don't understand your question. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Jawge View Post
              Please expand. I don't understand your question. Thanks.
              You wouldn't Jawge.

Comment

and you can't seem to explain. Yes?

Comment

there are things wrong and there are things right..

question is what are these things..

start again now..

Comment

Working...
                  X