Historian: Sly & The Family Stone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Historian: Sly & The Family Stone

Just finished watching UnSung...a TV program that featured the above group on Monday's segment.

I could not get enough of Sly Stone in the 70's and 80's.

In the 70's I had a [casette] Sly Stone album-- that I am still searching for. I guess I need to find the time to search for this classic album. I played that tape till i had to rewind it with a pencil....

Sly and The Family Stone music is timeless. I am extremely happy to learn things about this genius from this program.
    The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

nuff said on that! Love the music! Family Affair is my fave followed by Stand and Hot Fun In The Summertime

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Love Your Post!

HL, I absolutely share you and Gamma’s views on this trend-setting band from the 1960s and 1970s. Sly and the Family Stones was not only an awesome band, but Sly was also a visionary (in addition to being a genuinely talented songwriter) who was not afraid to go against the status quo. I’m referring here primarily to the presence of both white and black musicians in his band.

I like the recordings that Gamma mentioned, although my personal favorite is “Everyday People” followed closely by “Stand.”

I cannot think of “Everyday People” without thinking of the group’s awesome bass player, Larry Graham. This man Graham is widely credited as the bass player who introduced the world to slapping (I’m referring here to the popular technique of slapping and popping the bass). Most people probably know Graham as the singer with the great voice who gave us “One In a Million,” but long before this mega-hit, he was a ground-breaking funk bassist. (Bassist Louis Johnson of the Brothers Johnson and others who came along during the 1970s simply expanded on Larry Graham’s groundbreaking style.)

By the way, the last time I heard a recording by Sly’s sister, Rose, was on a live gospel recording with the great Andrae Crouch. In Sly’s case, I read in the newspapers some time last year that Sly was now dirt-poor and was suffering from some type of mental delusion, no doubt a result of his consistent drug use over the years. This is a really sad end to a visionary musician and songwriter.

The musician that came later that most reminded me of Sly Stone is Prince, although Prince is no way as historically important to the development of music as Sly is.

Thanks for making this post, HL boss; you certainly brought back some fond memories!

Comment

I changed from Comcast to Dishnetwork. I truly miss TV one. I miss my Unsung programs for real. Didn't realise it wasn't on dish before I ordered.

Would have loved to see Sly and the stones.
        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

I'm not sure if I saw that episode. Did the new season start?
          Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

Are you with Comcast?
            If you are the episode shall eventually be found within the "TV Series".
            Concast also offers that ability to record the series.

Aside: It is amazing to see the number of artists whose lives take a 'sad turn'. ...some of the personal details I never heard about before used to shock...(sadly) not any more.
            "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

I join Historian - Nice post, HL.
              "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Changed from COMCAST to dish Assasin!!!???

Serve you right!

When I did the opposite--and found that COMCAST did not offer FSC in HD, I was devastated. Now that COMCAST has FSC in HD, I am like a pig im muddd...

Plus the ON-DEMAND and DVR features on COMCAST are helpful.
                The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

Karl me live a fareen NY yuh know. A Verizon FIOS me a lick, me have all dem tings there. My DVR set to record the series but I have so many programs set to record that I could have missed it.
                  Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

Wow!

I couldn’t help noticing how the thread quickly changed from a potentially lively discussion of a groundbreaking group from the late 1960s, Sly and the Family Stones, to a completely different, certainly irrelevant focus, the advantages and disadvantages of certain television channel providers.

Comment

Come on man. I was one of the first person on the forum along with Jangle and I-man who started to watch UNSUNG. is it a crying shame because I can't see the show I use to and would love to see. I would have love to see the show on Sly and the stone and I can't. That was what I said to HL. I have watched 90% of the UNSUNG series and surely would enjoy this one.
                      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Historian View Post
                        I couldn’t help noticing how the thread quickly changed from a potentially lively discussion of a groundbreaking group from the late 1960s, Sly and the Family Stones, to a completely different, certainly irrelevant focus, the advantages and disadvantages of certain television channel providers.
                        lol... hush

funny stuff this

TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

Got yuh, boss!

Comment

Working...
                          X