Clear All

• Dad’s unique punishment for kid who missed curfew

Dad’s unique punishment for kid who missed curfew? Carry a 'Homeless' sign

12-year-old's sign read, 'Homeless, Won't Listen to Parents'

Comments (15) By Rheana Murray / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Wednesday, June 20, 2012, 9:19 AM

Print

NBCWashington.com

Kevin Burks forced his son, Kenny, 12, to walk around his neighborhood holding a sign saying, ‘Homeless Won't Listen to Parents’

Related Stories

A Maryland father opted for humiliation as punishment to teach his 12-year-old son a lesson about missing curfew.

Kevin Burks, of Waldorf, Md., made his son Kenny walk up and down the street carrying a sign that read, “Homeless, Won’t Listen to Parents,” for eight hours on Monday, NBC Washington reports. Burks says Kenny was out too late over the weekend and didn’t call home.

“All he has to do is check in at 8:30,” Burks told the station.

But Kenny didn’t arrive home until after 9 p.m., Burks said.

“I pay for his clothes, his shoes, the roof over his head, his safety and everything he has,” Burks told NBC Washington. “My thing is if you want to be your own adult, you’ll sit outside and be your own adult.”

The two walked their block for nearly eight hours, taking breaks for food.

Burks says he accompanied Kenny between about 9:15 and 5 p.m. while his son carried the sign as punishment. The pair stopped for breakfast and lunch, and took breaks every two hours.

NBC Washington reports that a police officer approached after some neighbors called to complain about cruel punishment, but left the father and son alone after Burks explained the situation.

Burks isn’t the first parent to get headlines by experimenting with an unusual method of discipline.

rmurray@nydailynews.com
    Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
    - Langston Hughes

Gamma a you this

I love it These damn kids!
    Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
    - Langston Hughes

Comment

Originally posted by MdmeX View Post
      NBC Washington reports that a police officer approached after some neighbors called to complain about cruel punishment, but left the father and son alone after Burks explained the situation.

rmurray@nydailynews.com
      People need to mind their own business sometimes...how could this in any way be construed as "cruel punishment"?

Comment

:d :d :d

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

white people faas, and me nuh need fi argue that.
          Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

how yu kno seh dem white? did i miss something in the article? jes aksin'
            Peter R

Comment

Working...
            X