• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ras Natango Garden and Gallery to the world

Say 'ahh'... to paradise
    St James couple convert barren land to a 'must visit shopping destination'
    Janet Silvera, Hospitality Jamaica Coordinator
    Twenty-two years ago, the entire community of Camrose, St James, laughed at Ian and Tamika Williams' steep hill, 45-degree-slope property which was covered with stones.
    They couldn't possibly have given back the land.
    "There was nothing we could do with it," Tamika tells Hospitality Jamaica, bursting into laughter while adding, "When life throws you a lemon, you make lemonade. Life threw us stones and we made a rock garden."
    Today, that rock garden is home, art gallery and eco-friendly community tourism attraction holds the coveted five star rating as the number-one place to shop by TripAdvisor guests.
    Tagged 'Ahh ... Ras Natango Garden and Gallery', it's that hunger for the feeling of 'ahh' that led our nostrils to this close-knit community, seven miles from the historic Sam Sharpe Square in Montego Bay and 15 minutes from the Fairview Shopping Complex.
    Approximately 2,000 feet above sea level, the sight from this awesome off-the-beaten-track nature's paradise, provides a 240-degree view of St James and Trelawny. When the city of Montego Bay lights up at night, it forms the map of Jamaica, while the hills of Falmouth are like musical notes to the eyes.
    Some of the most discerning tourists to the island find solace, while feasting on some of the island's most impressive artwork by Ras Natango and Tamika.
    COMMUNITY SUPPORT
    But, with humility, the couple will tell you that their success is dependent on the rest of the community. "The entire community is working with us; there is no hassle to buy," boasted Ian Williams, noting that at the same time nothing in his gallery is imported from China or Japan.
    His authentic paintings can be found (some 400 pieces) scattered on the walls, indoor and outdoor at Half Moon, A Rock Resort, in all RIU Resort lobbies, at some stores at Shoppes at Rose Hall and the craft markets.
    An accountant by profession, he turned to art when he couldn't get a job because of his dreadlocks. "Art, being a hobby, became the avenue for my future," he admits.
    His wife, a trained teacher with 22 years under her belt, admits that she never saw the vision when they just moved to Camrose. "All I saw were rocks and rocks only, and we had to make our own soil," she reminisced, before taking Hospitality Jamaica on a trajectory of what now stands.
    The Williamses created four terraces, thereby increasing their land space, and at the very top built a water catchment within the layers of the land. At no time were any excavation, bulldozers or jack hammers used. Their home/gallery boast three storeys at the front and one at the back.
    "Jamaica has more to offer than the sea and sun. Being on vacation should be a memorable, pleasant and cultural experience, and it is with this in mind that Ahh ... Ras Natango Gallery and Garden was created, says Ras Natango.
    He elaborated by saying "providing employment for members of our community instils a sense of pride in our culture through the arts and crafts which are made on property and provide authentic Jamaican 'one of a kind' gifts for guests".
    It is this philosophy that attracted Jamaica's Glamour Destination Management to their doorsteps. The two have now formed a partnership that sees Glamour selling ecotours to the attraction.
    An upbeat Myrtle Dwyer, director with responsibility for sales and marketing at Glamour noted that "This venture gave us the perfect opportunity to give back to the community by utilising ecotourism as an effective tool for enhancing the growth of communities, especially in promoting and supporting efforts in leading sustainable change in the global tourism and travel industry."
    Ideal for environmentalists
    Ahh ... Ras Natango Garden and Gallery is the most comprehensive of its kind in Jamaica. The gallery and garden provide an alternative for persons who are environmentalists, nature lovers, birders or just someone looking to meet Jamaicans in their homes and exchange cultures. The gift shop features authentic Jamaican art and craft, while the garden is a thoughtful showcase of tropical flora and stone sculptures with spectacular views of the city.
    If you don't plan to stay all day on a visit to this magical sanctuary, do not lounge in the hammock.
    Like the rest of the country, the Williamses' most important source markets are the USA, Jamaica and Canada, but they do get visitors from as far as Africa.
    They cater to groups of up to 35 and small weddings.
    Tours of Ahh ... Ras Natango Garden & Gallery are being coordinated through Glamour Destination Management. Visitors can visit www.glamourdmc.com to learn more about the attraction or book this tour atconcierge@glamourdmc.com.
    janet.silvera@gleanerjm.com
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Exile contining from the other topic, this is the kind of thing I am talking about.

This story shows my vision of how Jamaicans can achieve in art and tourism and create a niche for ourselves. I am also happy to see Ms.Dwyer working with them and doing putting her effort in her Glamour Tours after 25 years or more with Halfmoon. Great story.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Now, I want to see some pictures?
      Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
      - Langston Hughes

Comment

Working...
      X