• Show
Clear All

• Postcard from Grenada

Postcard from Grenada
    'The Jamaica vibe without Jamaicans,' says Dotun Adebayo
    Written by Dotun Adebayo
    18/06/2012 12:36 PM

Image Text: PRIME MINISTER: Tillman Thomas

NOBODY SHOULD be without enough work in Grenada. That's virtually the only complaint you ever get on the island. From the old timers sitting in the shade of a sycamore tree in the capital, St George's, to the youths twiddling the thumbs of their idle hands in Carriacou.
    Nobody should be without work on this beautiful island which will forever be the home of the New Jewel Movement/Maurice Bishop revolution - the ‘Caribbean spring' that occured thirty years before the Arab one and which saw even the most ragamuffin of youths in gainful employment.
    BLESSED ISLAND
    There would be work for everybody on this blessed land like there is in Barbados, Bahamas, St Barts and the Cayman Islands, if the Grenada Tourist Board would let me give them a hand in pulling the tourists in. And not just me. Any number of former journalists from my generation who paid their dues at newspapers like The Voice, The Times and, yes, even the News of the World are an untapped resource as media consultants.
    It was the Prime Minister the Hon. Tillman Thomas who put the idea into my head when we were having our Saturday night oil down at BB's restaurant last week. He is always looking for ways to attract more visitors. So I sat down at Jenny's Place, the guest house owned by Grenada's first Miss World, with the beach just ten metres away form my bedroom and I came up with some ideas.
    MY 10 WAYS TO SELL GRENADA BILLBOARD CAMPAIGN:
    1. Bored With Barbados? You'll Never Tire Of Grenada.
    2. The Jamaica Vibe Without Jamaicans - Grenada, As Safe As Houses
    3. Grenada, A Slice Of Heaven Waiting For You
    4. Grenada - You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet
    5. Grenada - You're Most Welcome, But Please Leave When You're Done. See You Next Year.
    6. We Know You'll Come Again And Again And Again....
    7. Grenada, Where The Prime Minister's Not Too Busy To Lime
    8. Carriacou
    9. Carriacou
    10. Carriacou - It Will Make You Think Twice.
    But a billboard campaign is not enough. Grenada is going to have to start attracting the jet set and celebrities by offering them free holidays on the island. They could start with some of those 'z' listers like Peter Andre and get the paparazzi taking pictures of him on Grand Antse beach with some dolly bird.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

I like the #5 reason
    Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
    - Langston Hughes

Comment

Working...
    X