RBSC

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Historian: 'Salt peanuts...salt peanuts...!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Historian: 'Salt peanuts...salt peanuts...!!!

So every summer on Saturday in my Town, they have a farmers market. I went this morning.

There was a booth selling Boiled Peanuts. All of a sudden I started snapping my finger to Dizzy Gillespie's classic "Salt Peanuts". Just could not get the tune out of my head. Ta tannah...Ta tannah...Ta tannah--Ta tannah>>>>>>>>>!!

It got to the point where i was snapping my fingers to the fast beat and singing "Salt Peanuts...salt peanuts; much to the disgust of 'my secretary'.

I thought only you could appreciate this classic. All the YouTube renditions are excellent...but I think I will paste the original-- is just fantastic.

Enjoy: (I think X MAY find it interesting)
    Dizzy Gillespie - "Salt Peanuts" - 1947 - YouTube

Jun 3, 2007 ... Dizzy played for Lucky Millinder's band in the early '40s. It was a riff this band played, after a Dizzy solo in the tune "Little John Special", that ...
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOmA8LOw258 www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOmA8LOw258
    Last edited by HL; June 9, 2012, 08:47 PM.
    The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Very nice, thanks.

Comment

Thanks, HL

I just watched the YouTube video, HL. Thanks for posting it.

I’ve never heard of “Salt Peanuts” before. However, I can see how the humorous lyrics and catchy melody could very easily grow on a listener.

It’s nice to see a young Dizzy Gillepsie in this pre-bebop stage of his development. I notice also that back then he wasn’t playing any bent trumpet.

The extended drum solo was tasteful, if unspectacular.

Comment

I guess you know that the bent trumpet was a result of an accident. While on the road it inadvertently got bent during travel....

HL

Comment

them sell the boil peanut all over. You ever taste it yet? I use to parch it in Jamaica but never tried the boil one.
          • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

loved it...HL
            THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Yep, Although....

Originally posted by HL View Post
              I guess you know that the bent trumpet was a result of an accident. While on the road it inadvertently got bent during travel....
              Not really during travel, HL boss.

His trumpet first got bent during a party he was holding for his wife. During the party he briefly left his trumpet on a stand and went to do something. By the time he returned some silly guy had fallen on to his trumpet.

The trumpet could have been straightened, but Dizzy preferred the sound emanating from the bent instrument. Even after he eventually got a new trumpet, he had it bent because he was more comfortable with how it sounded. So, you are correct in that it was the result of an accident.

Comment

Historian...you are a fountain of good information!

HL

Comment

Thanks Very Much!

Historian...you are a fountain of good information!
                  Thanks for the kind words!

I used to read a prominent jazz magazine, “Downbeat” almost religiously, in addition to listening to an immense amount of music of various genres, but with a distinct preference for jazz as well as African-American gospel. I used to get Downbeat magazine monthly, and I learnt so much about my jazz idols from reading everything in its pages!

Back in the 1980s I used to read about and listen religiously to the great horn men of the mid twentieth century, like Dizzy, Charlie Parker (bebop saxophonist), Stanley Turrentine, etc. and the products of the 1980s like trumpeter Wynton Marsalis.

My all-time favorite jazz musicians include diverse people such as Joe Zawinul, Jaco Pastorious, Wayne Shorter, Miles Davis, Herbie Hancock, Keith Jarrett, Toots Thielemans, Joe Pass, Django Reinhardt, Wes Montgomery, Thelonious Monk, Chick Corea, Jimmy Smith, Tony Williams, George Benson, Dexter Gordon, Bill Evans, Gil Evans, Charles Mingus, Oscar Peterson, Clark Terry, and a million others.

I also listened extensively to the great so-called jazz fusion people like John McLaughlin and his Mahavishnu Orchestra, Jean Luc Ponty, Frank Zappa, Al Dimeola, Jeff Berlin, Victor Wooten, the Brecker brothers, Larry Coryell, Al Dimeola, Jan Hammer, etc. etc.

I still regard the evening when I spotted Chick Corea in a crowd, introduced myself and had a short, enjoyable conversation as among the most memorable times of my life! His wife, Gayle Moran and his bass player at the time, the great John Patticucci, were there as well. They were all nice, humble people!

HL, life is filled with so much great memories! (At the moment I have Paul Simon’s immensely outstanding album, “Graceland” playing on my stereo as I type. Earlier I was listening to Nina Simone.)

Comment

Beginning at your last paragraph...I had the pleasure of seeing Hugh Masekela live in concert a few years ago. The man is pure genius! His CD Uptownship is my all time favorite.

Before I 'understood' Jazz, I think it was that same magazine Downbeat --that introduced me to Miles Davis and other renouned Jazz greats.

I read about Miles' albums "Bitches Brew" and "Kind of Blue" long long before I heard it.

I posted about Chuck Mangione about 5-6 weeks ago. Winston Williams (The Whip) turned me on to this Jazz great. I think it was in the 70's that Winston Williams opened one of his program with Chucks piece "Can't we do this all night". I was hooked!!

[ I just can't find 'can't we do this all night' on YouTube-- to give you a listen]

I think you and I spoke earlier about Herbie Hancock. I saw him LIVE in concert too. I must admit some of Hancocks' pieces are much too deep from me wrap my brain around.....

From the contemporary group I have seen Alex Bugnon, David Benoit...
                    The list is too great to mention others.

Historian I full share your views on the destruction on Jamaican music. There are no more Cecil 'Sunny' Bradshaws>>>>>>>>>

HL

Comment

Re: Hugh Masekela

Beginning at your last paragraph...I had the pleasure of seeing Hugh Masekela live in concert a few years ago. The man is pure genius! His CD Uptownship is my all time favorite.

Historian I full share your views on the destruction on Jamaican music. There are no more Cecil 'Sunny' Bradshaws>>>>>>>>>
                      HL, please forgive me for this very late response! I read your excellent music post, but just got an opportunity to respond in what is probably a fitting way; that is, through the music of someone we both admire very much, the great South African trumpeter Hugh Masekela!

YouTube link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHny1UyjXQU

This YouTube video, for which I provided a link above, and which I know that both you and someone like X (who I must honestly admit, has great taste in music, despite our online arguments), shows the incredible talent from South Africa that Paul Simon succeeded in displaying to the world! The music here is best appreciated when listened to through top-of-the-line (or close to that) stereo speakers or studio-quality stereo headphones.

This is truly great music!!

Of course, Paul Simon was castigated for breaking a major principle during the apartheid era, but at the same time his visionary work on the truly remarkable “Graceland” album exposed the world to hidden treasures from South Africa! In retrospect, much, much respect to Simon! And while he didn’t introduce Hugh Masekela to the world of music, what he did was open the floodgates for South Africa’s BLACK, supremely talented, eclectic musicians and singers.

I will comment later on the great Sonny Bradshaw and also the rest of your post.

Comment

Brilliant...just brilliant Historian.

I saw the entire concert on TV and on CD.

The late Myriam Makeba was also a part of Graceland Concert.

Paul Simon introduced LadySmith Black Mambazo to the world. I saw them live in concert a few years ago. Fantastic!! Brings tears to your eyes--even though you don't know the words to some of the songs they sing.

HL

Comment

Working...
                        X