GCT on books stays

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GCT on books stays

THE Book Industry Association of Jamaica (BIAJ) has expressed disappointment over the non-removal of the General Consumption Tax (GCT) on books.

The BIAJ registered its displeasure in a statement yesterday following Prime Minister Portia Simpson Miller's contribution to the Budget Debate at Gordon House in Kingston -- two weeks after Finance Minister Dr Peter Phillips announced that books and other printing material would attract the 16.5 per cent GCT. The tax was to have taken effect last Friday but was delayed by a week to facilitate discussions between the association and the Ministry of Finance.

The BIAJ said that it was disappointed that the prime minister -- who stridently opposed tax on books when the previous Jamaica Labour Party Administration attempted to introduce it in 2009 -- did not take the opportunity to roll back the tax in her address to Parliament.

"We have been in extended conversation with the tax officials at the Ministry of Finance, explaining what has now shown to be the incorrect assumptions underlying their calculations, where only $28 million (from non-textbooks) will be realised in tax revenue," the BIAJ said.

"This is a (very) small fraction of what was originally budgeted and certainly not worth destroying any gains made in developing literacy, reading and the book trade, which may also end up in job losses," the association added.
    The BIAJ has also taken issue with the compilation of a Master List of textbooks by the Ministry of Education.

"...The ministry... has embarked on an effort to create a cumbersome and problematic Master List of approved textbooks from early childhood to tertiary, that will determine which books are taxed.

"The BIAJ does not support the creation of this Master List, but is participating in the process to make the other stakeholders aware of the many challenges and disruptions that will arise, particularly in the upcoming back-to-school season," the association said.

Read more: http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/news/...#ixzz1x0V6AZdp
    Last edited by Karl; June 6, 2012, 09:42 AM.
    "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Govt love to complicate thing boy, now dem haffe go maintain a list of "textbooks" as opposed to other books.

Simplicity is what is needed when dealing with tax policy. The more complicated it is the more loopholes and avoidance there will be.
    "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

So dem a tax di Bible?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

is it a text book?

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Well there is text in it.

Wha bout the Koran, or the Kebra Nagast?

What a tangled web we weave....

Comment

my question is if the government couldn't make it someway that the private sellers still sell textbook without the tax because this is going to hurt their businesses very badly.
            • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

I thought that was the purpose of the master list the the MoE is preparing?

No?

Comment

Not based on what I read last week. The government met with the book people so I hope you are right or some independent book dealers could close.
                • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Or the Kama Sutra?

There is text and sext in that one!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Islandman View Post
                    Govt love to complicate thing boy, now dem haffe go maintain a list of "textbooks" as opposed to other books.

Simplicity is what is needed when dealing with tax policy. The more complicated it is the more loopholes and avoidance there will be.
                    Animal Farm tings... Asses running di Show
                    TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

LOL!

Comment

No tax on text books

FINANCE and Planning Minister today announced that text books will not attract General Consumption Tax (GCT).
                        Phillips made the announcement during his closing contribution to the budget debate in Gordon House today.
                        He said the government's policy was never to tax text books and all books approved by the Ministry of Education will not attract GCT.

Read more: http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/news/...#ixzz1x3nb18TA

Comment

Working...
                        X