• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reggae goes missing from the dancehall

Reggae goes missing from the dancehall

Published: Sunday | June 3, 2012 4 Comments

Bobby

Curtis Campbell, Gleaner Writer
    Jamaica is internationally recognised as the birthplace of reggae and [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]dancehall [COLOR=blue !important]music[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR], the latter delivering the more flashy uptempo sound, while the former targets the spiritual and Afrocentric followers with slower, sometimes sultry beats.
    However, with the competitive nature of Jamaica's music industry, the two genres seem to be fighting for existence in the dancehall. Reggae is losing.
    The Sunday Gleaner spoke with [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]reggae[/COLOR][/COLOR] artiste Warrior King, and according to the Virtuous Woman singer, local disc jockeys are killing [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]reggae [COLOR=blue !important]music[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR].
    "Dem selector yah a kill the music where it come from. [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]Reggae [COLOR=blue !important]music[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] is the foundation and it should be included in the juggling like any other genre. A lot of foreigners have been asking me 'why when they come to Jamaica they don't hear reggae music?' When I am abroad it is different because it is played in the dancehall in Trinidad, California and Europe," [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]Warrior [COLOR=blue !important]King[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] said.
    According to the artiste, Jamaicans do not appreciate reggae, and may only realise the effect of their disregard when reggae has left our shores.
    "Dem seh 'di cow nuh know the use a him tale til it gone.' Dats why the youth a get suh crazy because dem naah get nuh roots. Reggae music keep people calm. Look how Bob Marley, Culture and Dennis Brown work hard to keep reggae alive ... all we need to do is spread the music across the board, 15 minutes of dancehall,15 minutes of reggae and 15 minutes of hip hop. Reggae is not dead because you have established people like Akon doing a reggae album," he said.
    Veteran reggae producer Bobby Digital believes disc jockeys in the dancehall are busy trying to please themselves instead of helping to develop the music industry.
    "I don't think reggae is getting a fair chance to prove itself in the dancehall. These guys playing the music are just trying to please themselves to get a forward; it's only for their own gain. How are we going to expose new talent if we don't hear the artiste?" Digital asked.

According to the producer, who has done work for artistes of massive stature - Sizzla Kalonji, Shabba Ranks, Morgan Heritage, Anthony B, Cocoa Tea, Super Cat and Garnett Silk, making up some of that number - reggae music production has not decreased. However, the songs are not getting a chance to develop locally.

"For the past six to seven years, I have been making music but they don't get much attention here because they are not willing to let something new through the gate, and if you don't listen to music, you cannot know what it is," he continued.

"We need to recognise what we have and learn to nurture it. Until we do that, then dog nyam wi supper. Teach the youth dem music from school so they can have an early exposure, because I have seen reggae artistes from overseas who are even better than some out here," he said.

Dancehall disc jockey and producer Supa Hype also conceded that the dancehall needed to place more emphasis on reggae.

According to him, upcoming DJs lack mature experience.

"We need more reggae. We need to put more into reggae. Recently, people like Christopher Martin and Busy Signal put out reggae albums - even Mr Vegas; we need more of that," he continued.

"Some DJs just wake up and seh dem a selector, dem nuh really have no experience. I am coming from vinyl days so I know real music. That is why I always play reggae songs from people like Sizzla in my juggling," Supa Hype said.

Supa Hype also said taking on the profession of music was like going to school.

"DJs, do your homework. Try different genres for different segments. You can't just do the same thing every week," he said.

The selector went on to say he would be releasing an exclusive reggae project - featuring Gyptian, Lutan Fyah, among others - as evidence that he was willing to lead the change.

For years .
    THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Originally posted by TDowl View Post

Reggae goes missing from the dancehall

Published: Sunday | June 3, 2012 4 Comments

Bobby

Curtis Campbell, Gleaner Writer
      Jamaica is internationally recognised as the birthplace of reggae and [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]dancehall [COLOR=blue !important]music[/color][/color][/color], the latter delivering the more flashy uptempo sound, while the former targets the spiritual and Afrocentric followers with slower, sometimes sultry beats.
      However, with the competitive nature of Jamaica's music industry, the two genres seem to be fighting for existence in the dancehall. Reggae is losing.
      The Sunday Gleaner spoke with [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]reggae[/color][/color] artiste Warrior King, and according to the Virtuous Woman singer, local disc jockeys are killing [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]reggae [COLOR=blue !important]music[/color][/color][/color].
      "Dem selector yah a kill the music where it come from. [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]Reggae [COLOR=blue !important]music[/color][/color][/color] is the foundation and it should be included in the juggling like any other genre. A lot of foreigners have been asking me 'why when they come to Jamaica they don't hear reggae music?' When I am abroad it is different because it is played in the dancehall in Trinidad, California and Europe," [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]Warrior [COLOR=blue !important]King[/color][/color][/color] said.
      According to the artiste, Jamaicans do not appreciate reggae, and may only realise the effect of their disregard when reggae has left our shores.
      "Dem seh 'di cow nuh know the use a him tale til it gone.' Dats why the youth a get suh crazy because dem naah get nuh roots. Reggae music keep people calm. Look how Bob Marley, Culture and Dennis Brown work hard to keep reggae alive ... all we need to do is spread the music across the board, 15 minutes of dancehall,15 minutes of reggae and 15 minutes of hip hop. Reggae is not dead because you have established people like Akon doing a reggae album," he said.
      Veteran reggae producer Bobby Digital believes disc jockeys in the dancehall are busy trying to please themselves instead of helping to develop the music industry.
      "I don't think reggae is getting a fair chance to prove itself in the dancehall. These guys playing the music are just trying to please themselves to get a forward; it's only for their own gain. How are we going to expose new talent if we don't hear the artiste?" Digital asked.

According to the producer, who has done work for artistes of massive stature - Sizzla Kalonji, Shabba Ranks, Morgan Heritage, Anthony B, Cocoa Tea, Super Cat and Garnett Silk, making up some of that number - reggae music production has not decreased. However, the songs are not getting a chance to develop locally.

"For the past six to seven years, I have been making music but they don't get much attention here because they are not willing to let something new through the gate, and if you don't listen to music, you cannot know what it is," he continued.

"We need to recognise what we have and learn to nurture it. Until we do that, then dog nyam wi supper. Teach the youth dem music from school so they can have an early exposure, because I have seen reggae artistes from overseas who are even better than some out here," he said.

Dancehall disc jockey and producer Supa Hype also conceded that the dancehall needed to place more emphasis on reggae.

According to him, upcoming DJs lack mature experience.

"We need more reggae. We need to put more into reggae. Recently, people like Christopher Martin and Busy Signal put out reggae albums - even Mr Vegas; we need more of that," he continued.

"Some DJs just wake up and seh dem a selector, dem nuh really have no experience. I am coming from vinyl days so I know real music. That is why I always play reggae songs from people like Sizzla in my juggling," Supa Hype said.

Supa Hype also said taking on the profession of music was like going to school.

"DJs, do your homework. Try different genres for different segments. You can't just do the same thing every week," he said.

The selector went on to say he would be releasing an exclusive reggae project - featuring Gyptian, Lutan Fyah, among others - as evidence that he was willing to lead the change.

"DJs, do your homework. Try different genres for different segments. You can't just do the same thing every week," he said."

My view as well. However, what about the patrons?
      "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Missing from which dancehall? Go to Rae Town on Sunday night...Passa Passa on Wednesday Night or any dance Alonzo Hawk and his peers are playing and tell me if Reggae is missing from the dancehall...

Comment

Mi believe the issue was bout reggae airplay on radio.
          Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

Which article are you reading? The article clearly states that reggae is missing from the dancehall...

Comment

....yeah, but me understand it to mean on the radio. A juss so we talk....the meaning is implied.
              Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

Supa Hype play on the radio? Do you know what "the dancehall" is?

Comment

What is it Sar?

Comment

Radio

Comment

the problem is the selectors... young selectors play the music to which they are accustomed and familiar... there is nuff good quality reggae music being produced... however, there are still too much hybrid 'reggae' riddims... missing is the hard driving bass lines, distinct drumming and horns... the bass lines water down, even if its reggae... the foundation reggae producers need to mek some real reggae chunes... jammys, germaine, jack scorpio dem man deh fi start put build reggae chunes... the youth dem dont know it... dem keep missing some key ingredients from de recipe...
                      'to get what we've never had, we MUST do what we've never done'

Comment

" the foundation reggae producers need to mek some real reggae chunes... jammys, germaine, jack scorpio dem man deh fi start put build reggae chunes."

Most of them stop producing when vinyl stop selling. For independent small producer the download a kill them. A song could easy well but make by its money by selling 45s to DJs and collectors. Now nothing there so it is either you make it really big or end up losing so many of the producers just take a break and hoping something change.
                        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Time to evolve...groom new artists & move into production/artist development...or siddung and complain...

Comment

agree... and transfer knowledge... if the music is quality, it will still sell on itunes or other similar content sites... the percentage of illegal downloaders is getting smaller every year... legitimate digital music sales are growing...
                            'to get what we've never had, we MUST do what we've never done'

Comment

yep a true you a talk stillstill but it expensive cause the payola thing kinda ruff still. Many of the producers who made a little bit take it and put it away still. Nuff nah complain but them just a watch the market. Nuff producers say the artist them too ungrateful so them nah invest inna them still. Blame can go around, but a so the thing set right now

Notice it is mostly young producers out there?
                              • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Working...
                              X