Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The First Jamaicans In America

THE FIRST JAMAICANS IN AMERICA

The documented history of black emigration from Jamaica and other Caribbean islands into the United States dates back to 1619 when 20 voluntary indentured workers arrived in Jamestown, Virginia, on a Dutch frigate. They lived and worked as "free persons" even when a Portuguese vessel arrived with the first shipload of blacks enslaved in 1629. Since Jamaica was a major way station and clearing house for slaves en route to North America, the history of Jamaican immigration in the United States is inseparably tied to slavery and post-emancipation migration.

After 1838, European and American colonies in the Caribbean with expanding sugar industries imported large numbers of immigrants to meet their acute labor shortage. Large numbers of Jamaicans were recruited to work in Panama and Costa Rica in the 1850s. After slavery was abolished in the United States in 1865, American planters imported temporary workers, called "swallow migrants," to harvest crops on an annual basis. These workers, many of them Jamaicans, returned to their countries after harvest. Between 1881 and the beginning of World War I, the United States recruited over 250,000 workers from the Caribbean, 90,000 of whom were Jamaicans, to work on the Panama Canal. During both world wars, the United States again recruited Jamaican men for service on various American bases in the region.

Last edited by Karl; May 26, 2012, 11:22 PM.

One of those 250k Jamaicans working the Agro fields of the US in WW2 was my grandfather.

Comment

Mine too! In FL.

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Have you tried the Mormon genealogy site, for some reason I have no success.

Comment

I have a grand uncle who worked in the tobacco fields in the northeast.
          Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

Mine in Florida and Georgia.

Comment

I have tried for other things with success but on this issue we talked about it on a few occasions, one story he told me is that one day they came up on wild weed plants on the roadway and apparently many of the Jamaicans knew what it was and got pretty excited.

Comment

Working...
              X