Public sector workers to forego wage increase 2010/2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Public sector workers to forego wage increase 2010/2012

RJR News has been informed that an agreement is to be signed this week for public sector workers to formally indicate that they will forego wage increases for the period 2010/2012.
    The main group representing Government paid workers-- the Jamaica Civil Service Association, JCSA, says it will add its signature to the agreement but with certain conditions.
    According to JCSA President, Oneil Grant, while the agreement will give the cash strapped Government some fiscal space, workers should also be protected.
    As public sector trade unions prepare to sign the agreement they have warned the Government that their members will not accept another wage freeze for 2012/2014.
    President-General of the Bustamante Industrial Trade Union, BITU, Senator Kavon Gayle, says such an arrangement would not augur well for government workers or the public sector.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

that sounds like good news BUT .... we are already in 2012 and so there is an expectation of wage increase THIS year.

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Call it more BANGARANG
      Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
      - Langston Hughes

Comment

you got that right and them say they will not accept any freeze.

Peter might have no choice but to let go some. These unions don't know what going on in the real world. Some teachers I know got wage reduction every year since 2008 plus layoffs.
        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

well as i see it, a lay off is the ultimate wage reduction!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

I use to think teaching was the most protect job and them a preach no child left behind but I don't know about that when schools all across the US a layoff teachers.

Them teachers/police/Civil servant won't realize what hit them till the ultimate comes, them them a go see "wicked".
            • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Identify Health, Education, Security requirements

Then start with Country production targets and orient everything towards that objective... (Public and Private Sectors)

eiddah wi serious or wi not serious..

Dem need to let wi know suh wi know di next move..

Comment

We will deal wid dose trivialities after the Jamaica 50 nyammings and jammings.
                "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Working...
                X